AM radio phased out in some EVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Playing devil's advocate here, since the EAS network typically has an AM station as its Primary Entry Point, couldn't the FCC dictate that automobiles not (a) create interference with the reception of EAS stations, and (b) all automobiles must be able to receive EAS Primary Entry Point stations.

I could see a day in the future where an event happens, and an EAS message goes out telling listeners to tune to the Primary Entry Point station for updates (especially since most EAS Primary Entry Point stations are "news" stations).

Granted they could say that the Primary Entry Point station is also simulcast on FM or a Digital sideband, but as others have mentioned, FM signals don't propagate as far as AM, and not every car has a Digital sideband receiver. I remember as a kid we were driving back to my hometown in East-Central Kansas from Tulsa, Oklahoma (July 1981), and about the time we reached Coffeyville Kansas, we could pick up the AM station in Kansas City (about 150 Miles Line of Sight from the Transmitter), and they were broadcasting continuous updates on the collapse of the skywalks at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. We ended up listening to that station for a couple of hours as the reports continued to come in. Obviously, this example wouldn't prompt an EAS activation, but you get the drift - you couldn't do that level of coverage with an FM station.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Playing devil's advocate here, since the EAS network typically has an AM station as its Primary Entry Point, couldn't the FCC dictate that automobiles not (a) create interference with the reception of EAS stations, and (b) all automobiles must be able to receive EAS Primary Entry Point stations.

Rules exist about interfering with with other radio services. There's also rules that say receivers must be able to handle some interference.
Part 15 is a real thing….

It would probably be difficult for the FCC to justify mandating a technology like AM radio in this day and age. There are much better ways to reach large parts of the population. Technology has moved on.

I love AM radio just as much as anyone else, but I think this will never happen. Average Joe/Jane consumer doesn't care and would never think about such things. All they want is their entertainment.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd much rather phase out EVs and keep AM radio, but that's just me.

While they are not the right solution for everyone, they are a great option for a LOT of drivers. I know several people that have them, and other than the lack of AM radio (I'd survive…) they are pretty nice.

I tow a large trailer, frequently, so not a realistic solution for me. For my wife, who drives a few miles to/from work, a perfect solution.

As for keeping AM radio, I'd agree. Out here in the west, it's a solution that works well. There's a lot of places I drive where AM radio is the only option. Satellite radio isn't always mountain/canyon friendly. FM radio doesn't have the range/reach.

ind224

I complained about a wide band of interference from NAVTEX to beyond 820Khz not long ago and while the problem went away quickly repeated attempts to find out who what where have not merited a response. Educated guess, home security system.
Trying to get a double din 10" screen for my old CRV but the off brand units don't have AM and that is quite annoying.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Electric vehicle owners should ONLY be allowed to charge their cars with wind or solar power, otherwise it is just pretend. So since it is a moot point, what difference will it make if they don't have AM radio?

Depending on where you are in the country, a lot of electricity is renewable. I had a coworker who bought a Tesla many years ago and also added solar to her home, along with the Tesla wall. Charged her car just fine, and never needed the utility.
Some utility providers will let you "choose" who your energy provider is. There are 100% renewable sources. While the actual electrons that arrive at your home can be from anywhere, your money goes to a specific source.

As for AM interference, there are so many sources, other than electric cars, that it is all kind of pointless. Power lines, cheap LED's, some street lights, all good sources of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.