AM radio phased out in some EVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc333

Well, even if this doesn't convince Ford, VW, Tesla, etc. to bring back AM/not remove it, at least it'll bring it to the attention of people who may not have known that AM still exists.

c

Last edited:

BrhatWeed

Premium Subscriber
In a world dominated by spoiled kids stuck on instant downloads and streaming I don't think AM has much of a chance surviving another generation.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In a world dominated by spoiled kids stuck on instant downloads and streaming I don't think AM has much of a chance surviving another generation.

I think you and I are on the same general track here.

While most of us love AM radio for the sake of AM radio, technology/progress marches on. Same reason most of us are not using spark gap transmitters and crystal receivers.
We can all bemoan the loss of the good ol' days and yell at kids to get off our respective lawns, but time moves on.

AM radio is on life support. It'll survive in some areas, it'll slowly fade away in others. Vehicle manufacturers are going to have less and less incentive to keep it as an option.

Modern technology will (and always does) fill in the gaps.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
AM radio is on life support. It'll survive in some areas, it'll slowly fade away in others. Vehicle manufacturers are going to have less and less incentive to keep it as an option.
There are several county health departments in Indiana which have purchased, with state grant money, low-power AM transmitters with the intent of using them to provide mass information in the event of a disaster. The thinking is that they can use these transmitters to broadcast info about available shelters or public distribution points (water, food, etc.). When I pointed out to folks championing this idea that AM radios were all but gone in homes and disappearing from automobiles, my comments were treated with derision.

Grunddiigg

Looks like congress may be throwing AM radio a lifeline to keep it in vehicles. Axios article.

This is something I can get behind. I like free airwaves unlike cell service and internet that must be paid for.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
"carmakers would be required to disclose the lack of AM access to consumers."

The average consumer isn't going to care. And it does nothing to fix any of the issues involved here. More empty words from "A bipartisan group of lawmakers". I hope they don't pull a muscle patting themselves on the back for this wickedly clever new legislation.

Forcing the placement of AM radios into cars that will block out any reliable reception with hash isn't going to fix anything either.
Forcing manufacturers to produce electronics that don't wipe out radio reception is what is needed. But that costs money, and no one wants to pay for anything unless they see immediate pleasurable feedback.

I like AM radio. It needs to stay. Car manufacturers need to be held to FCC requirements about not generating all kinds of hash on the airwaves.

Grunddiigg

I read the article taking away that evs that have already been manufactured without AM would have to disclose it and future production would require AM.

Anyway, hopefully something can be figured out that makes everybody happy and AM keeps chugging along.

cc333

@mmckenna It may be feeble, but it's a promising beginning, and may bring attention to the problem of rampant RF hash and noise caused by noncompliant devices (many of the worst offenders are cheaply-made junk from China and the like, I've noticed).

In any case, if I'm understanding the article correctly, it sounds like this has some decent bipartisan support, so it may have a reasonable chance of at least getting far enough to come to a vote, if not passing.

c

cc333

hopefully something can be figured out that makes everybody happy and AM keeps chugging along.
Agreed. If AM radios become mandated in cars for public safety reasons, perhaps it can lead to a resurgence in its popularity, however small that may be.

I like AM radio. It needs to stay. Car manufacturers need to be held to FCC requirements about not generating all kinds of hash on the airwaves.
I agree with this too! I also like AM, and I can remember when the overall quality of both the audio and the content were much better, and as unlikely this is, I hope it renews interest in making AM sound good again.

Be that as it may, regardless of the outcome of all this, it has at least generated some good publicity that might boost AM listenership slightly (whether or not it'd have a meaningful impact on revenues, I don't know).

c

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hopefully it'll work. I really hope it does.

If not, I'm sure there were people upset with cross country telegraph service was ended. Yet, somehow, here we are, on the internets, and somehow we survived.

Every time one piece of technology ends, something better comes in to fill its place. It may not be as fun, and certainly won't have the nostalgia, but life goes on.

cc333

@mmckenna Well said.

And, of course, since congress is so busy squabbling over things such as the debt limit, who knows when they'll find the time to think about AM. Or anything else, for that matter....

c

BrhatWeed

Premium Subscriber
How about when they decide to phase out FM radios over the internal interference and force us to satellite & streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.