AM radio revitalization study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeni

I'm 25 and I don't get the point of streaming music.

I'd rather use a mp3 or a conventional CD.

ridgescan

Same here Jim. No matter where you are, when nightfall hits your area, the MW band opens up to distant stuff sometimes over 1000 miles, which obviously provides one with that much more programming (except for the gobs of stations running Coast To Coast AM)
Every night, I listen to stations, a couple are almost 800 miles away, to stuff that isn't playing here near SFO. I very rarely listen to the locals except in the truck.
Matter of fact, I was pleasantly surprised to read a bunch of guys in the Antique Radio Forum like to do MWDX because it is the distant stations that have the nostalgic and oldies type music they're after to play on their old radios. That is neat.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Same here Jim. No matter where you are, when nightfall hits your area, the MW band opens up to distant stuff sometimes over 1000 miles, which obviously provides one with that much more programming (except for the gobs of stations running Coast To Coast AM)
Every night, I listen to stations, a couple are almost 800 miles away, to stuff that isn't playing here near SFO. I very rarely listen to the locals except in the truck.
Matter of fact, I was pleasantly surprised to read a bunch of guys in the Antique Radio Forum like to do MWDX because it is the distant stations that have the nostalgic and oldies type music they're after to play on their old radios. That is neat.

Funny thing, Ridge, is that my 30 year old Pontiac Sunbird (inherited) snags better MW DX than my RadioShack DX-398 (Sangean ATS-909)! I'm on Cape Cod, MA and WCBS-880 in New York City comes in like it's a local! The car radio almost seems impervious to propagation no matter what, whereas the high-end portable doesn't do nearly as well, even when turned on a lazy Susan for nulling out interference.

I agree with your statement about how it often seems like the more interesting stations are the DX ones, but for me the big thrill is catching the signal and identifying it!

I really do believe that it's going to be totally a matter of content if AM radio is going to survive.

ridgescan

Same with my 14 year old Toyota Tacoma-especially when you set still somewhere-it is a DX maniac.
And I am of the same mind with the IDing thing-I can say that the vast majority of my listening is the challenge of getting DX.

majoco

Stirrer
Car radios are usually excellent MWDX machines. They usually have a tuned RF stage, the antenna is actually part of the first RF stage (which is why there is a tweaker to adjust the tuning when you install the radio.) No power supply noises if you have good suppression of the spark plugs and generator/alternator brushes - and you can drive to some pretty good reception places, hopefully with some pleasant company and a dashboard light.... :)

WB4CS

Car radios used to be excellent MWDX machines.

There, I fixed that for you :)

Most modern car AM/FM radios I've used are horrible on AM. They are mostly designed for XM/FM use and AM is an afterthought. AM sensitivity and noise rejection are horrible on the ones I've used.

Many years ago though, car stereos were quite the acceptable AM receiver.

majoco

Stirrer
All the more reasons for preserving our old radios and our old cars..... :)

My Australian Holden 1996 Commodore has a Eurovox radio fitted as standard and it very good even way out in the wops - when it starts to get dark in the eastern coast of Australia I can often get a few stations from there on our vacant frequencies.

PrimeNumber

There, I fixed that for you :)

Most modern car AM/FM radios I've used are horrible on AM. They are mostly designed for XM/FM use and AM is an afterthought. AM sensitivity and noise rejection are horrible on the ones I've used.

Many years ago though, car stereos were quite the acceptable AM receiver.
Hmm, the stock radio in my '12 Mustang is a DX monster, even with that nubbly little antenna. Go figure.

I'm sure this varies a lot by brand. I can tell you, those Sony aftermarket units in the ~$150 range aren't worth a flip on AM. Had one in my old car, have one in my (very use) F150. You might as well listen using a grass stalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82s5Q3GIO9I

D

DaveNF2G

You need to get the GM/Delco car radios for top performance.

RC286

You need to get the GM/Delco car radios for top performance.

I agree, I have an old GM radio from an early 90's caddillac in my shack wired to 12v supply and switched into my longwire antenna. Tapped into the Audio before the amplifier board for some line level outputs. Amazing DX with that radio.

Boombox

The DX-398 is a good performer on MW (although I don't use mine for MWDX, for some reason -- probaby because of the sound. I prefer my Superadios and a couple other models of AM radios).

The 398 runs the MW signals through the entire chain of RF and IF amp FETs before hitting the IF chip, so there is a lot of gain and filtering.

The loopstick may be the radio's main 'limitation' for MW DX. The loopstick isn't monstrous, but it does run the length of the top of the radio, probably between 100-120mm.

Try using an external loop with it, Jim, and you may get some extra stations on it.

I agree on the ability of some car radios to DX. I had an old 1970 Ford Philco car radio that was excellent. That radio seemed to have gain to burn. Excellent sound, too!

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
The DX-398 is a good performer on MW (although I don't use mine for MWDX, for some reason -- probaby because of the sound. I prefer my Superadios and a couple other models of AM radios).

The 398 runs the MW signals through the entire chain of RF and IF amp FETs before hitting the IF chip, so there is a lot of gain and filtering.

The loopstick may be the radio's main 'limitation' for MW DX. The loopstick isn't monstrous, but it does run the length of the top of the radio, probably between 100-120mm.

Try using an external loop with it, Jim, and you may get some extra stations on it.

I agree on the ability of some car radios to DX. I had an old 1970 Ford Philco car radio that was excellent. That radio seemed to have gain to burn. Excellent sound, too!

Thanks, Boombox. Actually I am pretty pleased with the DX-398 overall. From my perch in Falmouth, MA, here are some recent logs:

11/27/14

WGN-AM 720 Chicago
CKAC-AM 730 Montreal
CFZM-AM 740 Toronto
WJR-AM 760 Detroit
WABC 770 NYC
WBBM 780 Chicago

11/30/14
WPRV 790 Providence, RI
CJAD 800 Montreal, Can
WGY 810 Schenectady, NY

The difference between the old car radio and the DX-398 is that the 398 fades much more and I agree that it's probably due to the limitations of the built in ferrite bar. I have been thinking of an external loop, as a matter of fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.