AM transmitter advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The long and the short of it is that someone asked me about putting up a television antenna and a 30 foot tower in his yard for him, and we got into a conversation where he said he was moving to Pennsylvania and was going to set up a very low power AM radio transmitter and was planning on starting his own radio station in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

The guy was very intelligent and yet I couldn't talk him into understanding that in order to make money, you have to have sponsors.

His thought was that all you had to do was set up a radio shack type studio and put up a antenna and the money would come rolling in.

Being in the radio world, I can understand that all radio stations has station managers and announcers and also programming and also commercials. Someone has to go out of the radio station and find the sponsors, either by calling them on the phone or visiting them in person.

Not many people in this world today that owns a business is willing to put out money for advertising in these tough times. So where is the money going to come from?

I also understand that a 1/4 watt transmitter might only use as much power as a light bulb, but what good is it - if it only has a range of about 9 miles or less?

I could do more with a CB walkie Talkie and no investment then what I think that he could do with a licensed radio station of that type.

What is your opinions on that subject.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
To cut through all the technical stuff and get down to brass tacks, a legally operating unlicensed Part 95 transmitter has an effective range of about 1,000 feet. Start up fees or acquisition of an existing license is a big money venture so unless this guy has plenty of financial backing... fogidaboudit. In any case and all things considered, broadcasting is NOT a get rich quick scheme, more often than not it's a money pit.

"also understand that a 1/4 watt transmitter might only use as much power as a light bulb, but what good is it - if it only has a range of about 9 miles or less?"
MUCH less, and it's illegal. As far as opinions go, well, facts go the distance research allows but opinions won't get off the starting line. Doesn't anybody do their homework anymore?

n5ims

Just tell this guy to contact Pittsburgh-based broker Ray Rosenblum about getting WPAZ (1370 Pottstown) which Great Scott Broadcasting just shut down without notice and has put up for sale. This would be a legal way for him to get all that money that "just rolls in". The down side is if they would just shut the station down without notice and then put it up for sale, possibly the money doesn't "just roll in" as your friend thinks.

N

N_Jay

. . .The guy was very intelligent . . . . .

. . . . His thought was that all you had to do was set up a radio shack type studio and put up a antenna and the money would come rolling in. . . . .

I am confused.

prcguy

There are legal FCC part 15 AM transmitters available and I had one many years ago. I did everything possible to increase range without violating the power or antenna restrictions and best distance I got was about 1/4 mile. Not enough range for a viable business in my opinion.
prcguy

Don_Burke

I suppose it might be possible to set up a Part 15 station in a very densely populated area and have enough people tune in to make it attractive to enough sponsors to turn a profit.

It has never happened before and I doubt it ever will.

My outfit has a continuous stream of account executives (that is what we call radio salespeople)coming and going. Radio sales is a tough business. It would be really tough if you were trying to sell spots on a station that had a coverage area that could be expressed in square yards.

I would suggest your friend get a job at a radio station to learn the ropes.

Fast1eddie

Premium Subscriber
Give the dude a break-at least he is doing something respectable, not schlepping mad mortages and refi's....

Merry Christmas Everyone!

kskarma

I would advise him to proceed as soon as possible..spend what it might take...and wish him lots of success. It would be a good way for him to learn all about broadcasting, running a business, paying the utility bills, etc. And... he could get this Great Education for only about $750,000 dollars...a real bargain...!

James_Bond_007

Premium Subscriber
The Following links are a great head start on starting part 15 am's. i recommend checking out the library over at part 15 us.

AM 1000 Rangmeaster
LPAM Hamilton AM1000 Rangemaster Part 15 AM Transmitter Hobby Broadcasting Company

Chez Procaster
Procaster Part 15 AM Transmitter

I AM Radio (Aka: Talking House)
i A.M. radio

Part 15 US
Forums | Part15.us

Rangemaster Transmitters
Rangemaster-Transmitters : Rangemaster Part 15 AM Transmitters

Ramsey Electronics Forum
Ramsey Electronics Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.