Amateur Antenna - Apartment Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I live in an apartment complex that will not allow a standard "outside" antenna for a ham radio. I am not sure if I am going to use a "mobile" or "handheld" radio yet but need suggestions for some sort of antenna that might work. I would probably have to place it out on the patio/deck somewhere, if they will allow that! I will probably only be using 2m, and maybe 70cm.

Thanks in advance and 73's. KJ4TVL

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I had the same exact arrangement and I used a Diamond X50A vertical for 2/70 which is only 5' 6" long and is white,so a U.S. flag on the top looks great and no one is the wiser!
n9zas

SCPD

QRT
I live in an apartment complex that will not allow a standard "outside" antenna for a ham radio. I am not sure if I am going to use a "mobile" or "handheld" radio yet but need suggestions for some sort of antenna that might work. I would probably have to place it out on the patio/deck somewhere, if they will allow that! I will probably only be using 2m, and maybe 70cm.

Thanks in advance and 73's. KJ4TVL

If the rails around the patio are not metal, I suggest a mag mount on a cookie sheet, laying on the deck, low profile. Go to the dollar store, buy some plastic foilage, and make it look like a plant. If the rails are metal, stick the mag mount on top of the rail. Still make it look like a fern or something.. And for heaven sakes, don't ask first to "see if it's o.k." The bad thing about your neighbors knowing you have a tx antenna is that they are going to blame you for everything that goes wrong with any electrical device in their apartment.
Even a little antenna out on the patio is going to play much better than anything inside.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
If the rails around the patio are not metal, I suggest a mag mount on a cookie sheet, laying on the deck, low profile. Go to the dollar store, buy some plastic foilage, and make it look like a plant. If the rails are metal, stick the mag mount on top of the rail. Still make it look like a fern or something.. And for heaven sakes, don't ask first to "see if it's o.k." The bad thing about your neighbors knowing you have a tx antenna is that they are going to blame you for everything that goes wrong with any electrical device in their apartment.
Even a little antenna out on the patio is going to play much better than anything inside.

I have basically gone that route... I currently have a Diamond NR72BNMO on an NMO mag mount that's sitting on top of a small coffee can in my south-facing first-floor windowsill. It hits most of the repeaters I want at low to medium power (depending on the day). I should probably use a better antenna. The ground plane (coffee can) certainly isn't the best either, but it gets the job done.

Wyandotte is also correct. Don't ask for permission. One of the things I have learned in life is that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I probably do a lot of things that my landlord wouldn't approve of if I asked permission in the first place. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.