Amateur DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

So if I got one I would be able to listen to a digital frequency that is about a hour away?

nd5y

So if I got one I would be able to listen to a digital frequency that is about a hour away?
What kind of digital frequency? You can't listen to just any digital frequency with a hotspot.
You can only use a hotspot to connect to certain amateur radio digital networks, repeaters or other hotspot users.
You need an amateur radio license to use a hotspot.

nd5y

Oh its ONLY amateur radio networks?
Yes. I have not heard of any commercial use of the cheap amateur radio type hotspots.
In addition to needing an amateur radio license if you want to use the amateur radio DMR networks then you need a valid DMR ID which requires submitting a copy of your license.
When you use a hotspot you are using your equipment on somebody else's network. If you have not been granted access you can't use the network. Read the links in post #8. and read the Digtial Radio Networks links at Amateur Radio - The RadioReference Wiki

N4KVE

Talking over the internet isn't REAL ham radio.
Tell that to the guys who got their license from a box of Cracker Jacks. When I made a HF contact to someone around the world, it was a real accomplishment. But these guys who use a hot spot to do the same thing, to me it means nothing as they’re making a 3 foot contact from their $30 HT to their hot spot.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The MMDVM modem firmware is marked for "Amateur use only" But seeings as you can set up your own server with a Raspberry Pi, I'm sure there are probably people using them for "other" services. Wouldn't be that hard to do.

But, if the "digital frequency" you wish to monitor isn't on the same server, well, you won't hear it.

Could you imagine if everyone that had heard the worldwide CQ had then replied back? It might overheat that guy's receive.
Remember Brandmeister 310 a while back?

K9DWB

QRT
Not me. I've only been a Tech ticket holder since July 22nd. But if you remember it, then whatever it was it must have been something though.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Not me. I've only been a Tech ticket holder since July 22nd. But if you remember it, then whatever it was it must have been something though.
It got bad enough that they limited it's use. So many hotspot loops (2 hotspots on same freq) kerchunkers that I'm pretty sure it cooked finals on more than one repeater... it was a madhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.