Amateur Kick-starting Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone, I live in Wake County, and I'm pretty new at this whole radio thing. Im an aspiring junior firefighter, and Ive been wanting to listen to wake fire frequencies for a while, but Ive run into a snag. On my current analog scanner (Whistler WS1010) I am unable to listen to some frequencies because of the whole trunking over 800mhz. One dispatch channel is Simulcasted onto a lower frequency, but I dont receive any other dispatch or fireground frequencies. Im here seeking a few tips/tricks to listen to these frequencies over 800mhz (as in, a new scanner to get and how to operate it on the certain talkgroups). If anyone minds helping I'd appreciate it! Ill also give any more info if you need it. Thanks again!

N8IAA

Hello Everyone, I live in Wake County, and I'm pretty new at this whole radio thing. Im an aspiring junior firefighter, and Ive been wanting to listen to wake fire frequencies for a while, but Ive run into a snag. On my current analog scanner (Whistler WS1010) I am unable to listen to some frequencies because of the whole trunking over 800mhz. One dispatch channel is Simulcasted onto a lower frequency, but I dont receive any other dispatch or fireground frequencies. Im here seeking a few tips/tricks to listen to these frequencies over 800mhz (as in, a new scanner to get and how to operate it on the certain talkgroups). If anyone minds helping I'd appreciate it! Ill also give any more info if you need it. Thanks again!

You'll be needing a basic Phase I digital scanner to receive the Wake county system.
I would suggest the Whistler WS1040 handheld, or the base/mobile WS1065. They will be able to decode the Motorola Type II system the county is on. I also suggest purchasing Win500 to program the scanner. Makes it a bunch easier to get it up and running.

Larry

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
Programming

Hey Larry, thanks for the tips. As far as programming goes, there's no frequencies listed for the Motorola system, only the talkgroup decimals (dont I need frequencies?). Will info for programming them come with the scanner, or should I find that advice somewhere else? Once again apologies if I seem completely new to this because I am! Thanks for bearing with me.

N8IAA

Hey Larry, thanks for the tips. As far as programming goes, there's no frequencies listed for the Motorola system, only the talkgroup decimals (dont I need frequencies?). Will info for programming them come with the scanner, or should I find that advice somewhere else? Once again apologies if I seem completely new to this because I am! Thanks for bearing with me.

Have you looked in the RR database?? There are two sites listed with the CC's and Alt CC's. I just looked and they are there:confused:

Larry

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
First step is you need to get the scanner, the one you have won't do it.

When you get the scanner we will help you program it. I'm in Wake County and listen all the time.

On an unrelated note, Wake county fire dispatch (not fireground) is also on twitter at https://twitter.com/wakedispatch?lang=en

PM me if you need additional information. And thanks for becoming a first responder.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

The frequencies are there. Look at the top of the section for Wake County. All system freqs are there. When you have a scanner that will receive digital comms, you'll need to enter the system freqs. Most scanners you'll only need to enter the freqs highlighted in red and blue. These are the control and alternate control freqs. The scanner will use the control freq to help you receive what you want to receive. After you enter the system freqs, the next things you enter would be the talk groups (DEC) you want to monitor.

Trunking is a different animal than conventional. Any talk group can show up on any system frequency at any time. This is why frequencies are listed first followed by talk groups. I hope that clears things up for you.

I don't live in the area but I do have Wake County programmed in my scanner; never had any trouble with the system.

If you get a Whistler, ditto on what Larry N8IAA said. WIN500 is an excellent database program to program the unit.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Achieved

So, Seeing as the WS1040 is a little pricey, I found an old old OLD radioshack Pro-92. Im trying to figure out on how to get the thing up and running, but I have some more digging to do. Thanks everyone for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.