Amateur License exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Go online and look around. Few places are doing in person exams, but online they are being done daily! Wish I had a www site for ya, but I only know it is being done. The XYL of a co worker is probably part of an exam team 5-7 times a week...

sorry I was just being lazy...http://www.arrl.org/findonlineexam

needairtime

Also worth asking your local amateur radio club if you can find one, a lot of them will do spot exams.

I was an examiner for one person in CO (with two others of course). We're willing to do it, just need to know you need one.

n5ims

HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools is probably your best bet to find an exam quickly. On the right hand side of the page, there's a "Find a Session" link that has all the testing sessions that have notified the site. Check back often if you can't find an exam when you want one as more are posted all the time.

By searching for your local area you may find an in-person exam session in a month or two. Using the remote testing, you can probably test tonight if you wish. Be aware that most remote sessions will test folks from anywhere in the US so it really doesn't matter if you live in Chicago and your remote test session is out of Miami. You might discover that your VEs are scattered all across the US. Be sure to read their notices to verify what their requirements are (they may only test in a small area or may be nationwide, they may require you to already have your FCC FRN prior to your test session - they'll probably have detailed instructions on how to do this, they may require certain requirements to take a remote exam - that probably should be will, not may - things like an area for you to take your exam where you won't be disturbed and have an area that only has what's required to take your test - computer with camera for example and perhaps a cell phone you can use to send images of your testing area to show you don't have anything that will invalidate your test session - e.g. notes, formulas, and other things that might help you cheat).

Many think that remote testing makes it real easy to cheat. In most cases, it's actually harder to cheat since you'll have at least 3 or 4 VEs watching you at all times using the camera on your computer (or phone) and will also be watching your screen as you take your test. In a live session, you'll have 3 or more VEs watching the session, but there may be several folks taking the tests so it may be easier to violate the rules. Don't try it either way though since you could be banned from taking a test through any of the VE groups.

One other hint is some VE groups can take quite a while to process your test results so it may be weeks before your license shows up on the FCC database (one group at least used to require all test session documents be assembled and physically mailed to the headquarters for processing). Others have things much more automated where you get your completed notice of successful passing at the end of your session and the results are electronically sent to the VE group headquarters for processing. Since things are so automated, they can clearly see your full exam session and easily confirm it was done right and forward the results to the FCC for processing. With those groups, you'll probably have your license up on the FCC database early the next business day (perhaps even the same day if you have an early test session and everything can be processed prior to the FCC submission deadline. Many of the W5YI VE remote testing sessions are done using the automated process (I tested for my upgrade on a Thursday evening and the upgrade showed up on the FCC database around noon the next day). My test was through WB5QNG / W5YI. He typically holds sessions 3 days a week (generally 6 to 8 folks per session) and his folks are helpful with getting you ready for taking the test (things like getting your PC/Phone properly configured to do the necessary camera, audio, and screen sharing and walking you through the process for taking the test and electronically signing the necessary documentation).

n5ims

Please note that the ARRL "findonlineexam" page will only show you those that use the ARRL VE Group. The HamStudy.org list shows those submitted by all teams, regardless of VE group. Currently I see tests from ARRL, W5YI, Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group, Anchorage Amateur Radio Club, Laurel Amateur Radio Club, Inc, W4VEC Volunteer Examiners Club of America and there may be others that I missed. Since it's the VE Group that sets most of the required rules (although many are the same), and the fee structure can be different between some groups, you may prefer one group to another. You may not be privy to all of the differences (like how long they take to process your exam results and by association, how long it will take for your license to show up on the FCC web site) so there may be differences that can't easily be seen.

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
Test online. The only thing is that they're careful about what you have on your walls and people in the room. As funny as it sounds, its common to take the test in your bathroom. You likely don't have radio posters there and can tell the family to stay out for 20mins. That's how I did mine.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Test online. The only thing is that they're careful about what you have on your walls and people in the room. As funny as it sounds, its common to take the test in your bathroom. You likely don't have radio posters there and can tell the family to stay out for 20mins. That's how I did mine.

Some groups also tried out "in-car" testing, where the examiners set up in a camper in the parking lot. People pulled in and an examiner took the paperwork and a clipboard to their car. The examiners took turns wandering the parking lot during the testing to make sure there was no cheating and to answer questions.

The group I run tests every third month, and there are other tests in the intervening months, so in Central Ohio at least, your wait would be a month at most.

Go online and look around. Few places are doing in person exams, but online they are being done daily! Wish I had a www site for ya, but I only know it is being done. The XYL of a co worker is probably part of an exam team 5-7 times a week...

5-7 times a week? I didn't think online testing had gotten widespread approval yet.

zip91z

Premium Subscriber
I took my test on line at 10:30 am.
HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools is probably your best bet to find an exam quickly. On the right hand side of the page, there's a "Find a Session" link that has all the testing sessions that have notified the site. Check back often if you can't find an exam when you want one as more are posted all the time.

By searching for your local area you may find an in-person exam session in a month or two. Using the remote testing, you can probably test tonight if you wish. Be aware that most remote sessions will test folks from anywhere in the US so it really doesn't matter if you live in Chicago and your remote test session is out of Miami. You might discover that your VEs are scattered all across the US. Be sure to read their notices to verify what their requirements are (they may only test in a small area or may be nationwide, they may require you to already have your FCC FRN prior to your test session - they'll probably have detailed instructions on how to do this, they may require certain requirements to take a remote exam - that probably should be will, not may - things like an area for you to take your exam where you won't be disturbed and have an area that only has what's required to take your test - computer with camera for example and perhaps a cell phone you can use to send images of your testing area to show you don't have anything that will invalidate your test session - e.g. notes, formulas, and other things that might help you cheat).

Many think that remote testing makes it real easy to cheat. In most cases, it's actually harder to cheat since you'll have at least 3 or 4 VEs watching you at all times using the camera on your computer (or phone) and will also be watching your screen as you take your test. In a live session, you'll have 3 or more VEs watching the session, but there may be several folks taking the tests so it may be easier to violate the rules. Don't try it either way though since you could be banned from taking a test through any of the VE groups.

One other hint is some VE groups can take quite a while to process your test results so it may be weeks before your license shows up on the FCC database (one group at least used to require all test session documents be assembled and physically mailed to the headquarters for processing). Others have things much more automated where you get your completed notice of successful passing at the end of your session and the results are electronically sent to the VE group headquarters for processing. Since things are so automated, they can clearly see your full exam session and easily confirm it was done right and forward the results to the FCC for processing. With those groups, you'll probably have your license up on the FCC database early the next business day (perhaps even the same day if you have an early test session and everything can be processed prior to the FCC submission deadline. Many of the W5YI VE remote testing sessions are done using the automated process (I tested for my upgrade on a Thursday evening and the upgrade showed up on the FCC database around noon the next day). My test was through WB5QNG / W5YI. He typically holds sessions 3 days a week (generally 6 to 8 folks per session) and his folks are helpful with getting you ready for taking the test (things like getting your PC/Phone properly configured to do the necessary camera, audio, and screen sharing and walking you through the process for taking the test and electronically signing the necessary documentation).
I took my my test on line at 10:30am. The process was just like you described. My licenses was isued and posted in the FCC database by 2:30 the same day.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
5-7 times a week? I didn't think online testing had gotten widespread approval yet.

FCC approved online testing end of April. She is part of the W5YI group and often tests both morning and afternoon. And for sure lots of Saturdays...her OM can't sit still long enough to be part of the VE group....

Status
Not open for further replies.