Amateur radio and out-of-band transmit in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
We've talked many times before about how modified amateur radio equipment is not compliant with FCC Part 90 equipment requirements and transmitting with that modified equipment violates FCC rules. Here's a report from the amateur radio media about this exact situation happening.

From Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2285 for Friday August 13, 2021:
CALIFORNIA AMATEURS STEP UP DURING DEADLY DIXIE FIRE

JIM/ANCHOR: Meanwhile, in the US, in Northern California, nearly one month after its flames began, the Dixie Fire has become the second largest wildfire in the state's history. One group of radio amateurs stepped up to keep the lines of communication open for local firefighters when communications failed. Randy Sly W4XJ has that story.

RANDY: With the Dixie Fire knocking out communications, wiping one town off the map, and forcing thousands in northern California to evacuate, a group of amateur radio operators helped emergency responders continue to get the word out. The Lake Almanor [PRONOUNCE: Al-muh-noor] Emergency Radio Net was on the air trading realtime information with one another and neighbors. Hams were monitoring 7.199 MHz and conducting their emergency net on 147.420 simplex. They also jumped in to help the Peninsula Fire Department troubleshoot their problems when the main firehouse radio failed, along with repeater issues. Mark Burnham K6FEJ, one of the net's members, said that modified 2-meter radios had to be installed in the fire chief's vehicle for backup and at the firehouse crew's quarters. Mark said the Yaesu radio was modified by Ron NB6X to operate on fire department frequencies and a 12-volt power supply and J-pole were added outside the building. The hams also set up a scanner on the main fire frequency near the firefighters' sleeping quarters so they would be able to hear calls. Another member of the net, Dale KM6BQY, remained in the mandatory evacuation zone because he is also involved in search and rescue work.

By the middle of the second week of August, the Dixie Fire was declared the largest wildfire burning in the United States. It had already destroyed nearly 500,000 acres and was only 21 percent contained.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Randy Sly W4XJ.
Modified 2m radios being used on public safety frequencies? The article doesn't say what model of Yaesu radio was being used, but I'm not aware of them producing any Part 90 radios under that name.

You suppose the hams programmed it for narrow-band?

While not a Part 90 requirement (AFAIK), you suppose the hams programmed the radio with a time-out timer?

You suppose the hams are going to work with the fire chief to drop a couple hundred bucks on a used Kenwood TK-7180 or equivalent to be kept stored away in the event this situation happens again?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the modified radio was installed in the chief's car for that person's use. It doesn't actually say that the hams were operating on the fire department's frequencies. The issue is the radio being type accepted or not. Who Cares? It is a true emergency and the radio is being used by someone who is authorized to use the frequency.

I am District Emergency Coordinator for Santa Barbara County ARES. We have a 440 radio in the County EOC that can operate on the Sheriff and EMS frequencies. I doubt we would ever use it because we have county radios as well. BUT, what if we did need it in an emergency? We would use it of course.

Whole towns are going up in smoke and you're worried about Part 90?

GROL

Definitely not enough information there to know what radios they actually used or what modulation mode. However, in emergencies such as this, would the FCC really have a great concern? If so, then that would be counter to public safety. Is the article even accurate? Amateur radio operators came to the rescue when Puerto Rico was wiped out by Hurricane Maria in 2017. I recall they assisted public safety with Amateur Radio VHF frequencies riding along with law enforcement, EMS and Fire, but if they had to have programmed non Part 90 radios for Public Safety frequencies, would anyone really have given a Rat's ass?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ugh.

There will be consequences.

Maybe. I think if they understood what they were doing, they would not have had their name and call sign in the story. My own experience is that most hams barely have a grasp of Part 97, and zero knowledge of Part 90.

My experience with dealing with the FCC is that ~maybe~ they'll get a brief suggestion that they don't do it again, and to brush up on their knowledge. Or not. I think if the ARRL was on the ball, they'd follow that up with an explanation of the rules, and suggest it's not a legal solution. But since the ARRL likes to focus on this aspect of ham radio, they won't. Might cut into their income.

I'm sure at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. The fire chief wouldn't have any more knowledge of the FCC rules than the hams would. With the large stock of spare radios, both from the state and the interagency cache, it was quickly remedied.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Government is akin to a mature elephant. Unresponsive and unwilling to commit at first, but prod it enough and once you get it moving in an urgency or emergency, it becomes nearly impossible to stop or re-direct.

Add in the critics seeking to add in their voices and even altruism is roundly criticized.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Add in the critics seeking to add in their voices and even altruism is roundly criticized.

I doubt it's criticism directed at them. It's likely directed at the ARRL and the failure of a lot of hams to take the time to learn anything beyond the 35 question multiple choice test.

There's a couple of rules violations there, but given the situation, it was probably the only solution the hams could imagine. It sort of sounds like the "only tool in the tool box is a hammer, so all issues start to look like a nail".

GROL

We don't know that they were using non Part 90 radios. Yaesu was mentioned, but Amateur Radio operators frequently use Part 90 radios for HAM radio. My Alinco DJ-MD5 is a Part 90 radio and it is probably most often used for HAM radio DMR. I have older Motorola HTX-1000s I used for HAM radio. The Fire Chief can authorize anyone to use a radio on the assigned fire frequencies licensed to his agency. That does not mean he can authorize non Part 90 radios, but he would not usually know the difference. The radios should be Part 90 approved, but in this extreme emergency, is that really a primary concern? They do not have to be an employee. Volunteer Fire Fighters are not employees of the County or City they serve. They are permitted to operate on the licensed frequencies by approval of the Fire Chief. This is really getting into some grey area minutia. I have worked natural disaster relief in the Air National Guard. FEMA used any means necessary to provide emergency communications. Military radios are not part 90 or Part 87 approved, but they were certainly used to facilitate EOC operations on Part 90 and Part 87 services.. The Amateur Radio operators with their knowledge and ingenuity provided a life saving service to their community worthy of praise, not accusation of illegal operation.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We don't know that they were using non Part 90 radios.

"Mark Burnham K6FEJ, one of the net's members, said that modified 2-meter radios had to be installed in the fire chief's vehicle for backup and at the firehouse crew's quarters. Mark said the Yaesu radio was modified by Ron NB6X to operate on fire department frequencies"​

Yaesu doesn't make Part 90 radios. Vertex did, but Yaesu and Vertex are now two separate companies.

The radios should be Part 90 approved, but in this extreme emergency, is that really a primary concern?

In a true emergency, unlikely, but I doubt it was a true emergency. More than likely, a major inconvenience and not easily handled by their existing staff.
The fire department would have hand held radios that could be used. Also, at these large fires, the interagency fire cache is brought in, along with a lot of radio techs, so any solution like this would be very short duration.

FEMA used any means necessary to provide emergency communications.
Military radios are not part 90 or Part 87 approved, but they were certainly used to facilitate EOC operations on Part 90 and Part 87 services..

FEMA and the military are not regulated by the FCC, they fall under the NTIA. The rules are different.

The Amateur Radio operators with their knowledge and ingenuity provided a life saving service to their community worthy of praise, not accusation of illegal operation.

Maybe. We need to remember this story is from the ARRL, so it's got an ARRL tilt to it. I don't think anyone is vilifying the hams here, just pointing out some issues. That is what this site is about, and has always done. Hams need to not have such thin skins.

GROL

Yaesu VX-P920 is part 90. Analog and P25 as well as the VX-7200.

VX-P920.gif

GROL

"Mark Burnham K6FEJ, one of the net's members, said that modified 2-meter radios had to be installed in the fire chief's vehicle for backup and at the firehouse crew's quarters. Mark said the Yaesu radio was modified by Ron NB6X to operate on fire department frequencies"​

Yaesu doesn't make Part 90 radios. Vertex did, but Yaesu and Vertex are now two separate companies.

In a true emergency, unlikely, but I doubt it was a true emergency. More than likely, a major inconvenience and not easily handled by their existing staff.
The fire department would have hand held radios that could be used. Also, at these large fires, the interagency fire cache is brought in, along with a lot of radio techs, so any solution like this would be very short duration.

FEMA and the military are not regulated by the FCC, they fall under the NTIA. The rules are different.

Maybe. We need to remember this story is from the ARRL, so it's got an ARRL tilt to it. I don't think anyone is vilifying the hams here, just pointing out some issues. That is what this site is about, and has always done. Hams need to not have such thin skins.
I sense you really hate the ARRL

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
ARRL hate by mmckenna? No, but there is honest critique.

There are mainstream amateur radio websites that are full of loathing and vitriol for the League by some members, just as there are those who would defend the League no matter what it does.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I sense you really hate the ARRL

The problem (well...one of many) with the ARRL is that they push this "when all else fails" EMCOMM crap, because let's face it, a ton of new hams (possibly the majority) are getting their licenses for EMCOMM and SHTF scenarios. These new hams are way more likely to become ARRL members if they push the EMCOMM agenda. That's really the only reason they push it.

This article is another "when all else fails" example, and attempts to justify hams modifying their equipment to cover every frequency, because you just never know when you're going to have to put on your orange vest, jump on the public safety bands, and save lives.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
We need to remember this story is from the ARRL, so it's got an ARRL tilt to it.
The story is not from the ARRL. It's from Amateur Radio Newsline which is not owned nor managed by the ARRL. The ARRL was not mentioned in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.