Amateur Radio badge....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Ok...I give up, been searching my user CP trying to add this but I don't see the option in there. I feel like an idiot sometimes with message board stuff. Now where is it hiding. :confused:

Thank you.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Click on your account name at the very top of the page. You'll see a field in your account profile where you can link your ham radio callsign to your user account.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
I can't find the link in my profile to look at it.

It's nice to have the ham radio badge but - I don't want my home address to be displayed here.
Yes, it's a public record but I want whoever to have to work a little bit for it.

How can I turn off the display of the address?

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
you can't - we're displaying public record information just like any other amateur radio callsign lookup organization such as qrz.com etc.

OK.

So I'll drop my RR subscription under this login when it expires and start over.

QRZ may have my personal info but they have no posting activities of mine so someone would have to know my callsign to even use them.

I wish you'd asked first.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mr. Blanton

Nice addition and I renewed yesterday.

Craig

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, if you want to you can email us at support@radioreference.com and request to have your user name changed and that will disassociate your radioreference account from your amateur callsign.

We'd be more than happy to do that if you wish to not have your callsign associated with your RadioReference.com account activities.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
OK.

So I'll drop my RR subscription under this login when it expires and start over.

QRZ may have my personal info but they have no posting activities of mine so someone would have to know my callsign to even use them.

I wish you'd asked first.

Seriously? Your RR username is your call sign, which you voluntarily chose. I just punched your call sign into Google and within seconds had information on your ham call sign, your full name, your home address, your RR profile, your posts, etc. All of which would've come up exactly the same prior to this new feature being implemented yesterday. :roll:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
I guess that's all you can do.

I'll send my request from home email account tonight.

I originally posted my town in my profile which was about as much locating info as I think is appropriate.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Seriously? Your RR username is your call sign, which you voluntarily chose. I just punched your call sign into Google and within seconds had information on your ham call sign, your full name, your home address, your RR profile, your posts, etc. All of which would've come up exactly the same prior to this new feature being implemented yesterday. :roll:

Yes, really. You had to do a little work to get there. (yes, very little) But the RR link is just too easy.
So it's for the best to find out early.

I'll change identities.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I like the new badge, but respect NW0U's point of view. Some people value their privacy, something that's hard to keep when on the internet. I gave up soon after APRS became popular.. Google my call...you'll know everywhere I've been in my van, where my house is..and loads of other info..It doesn't bother me that it's out there..

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Looks like you can put any valid callsign in your profile...thus becoming someone you're not. Hope this won't be abused by the trolls...

KC0CSE

I for one like it...glad to be recognized for making the effort to study and pass the exam to be a operator.....not everyone can say that....but everyone is welcome to be a part of the radio world "Take The Test"....I will never let mine expire!!!!
Mike
KC0CSE 73'S TO ALL........ THANK YOU LINDSAY!!!!!

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
I've been a ham for 36 years and some of that will always be with me. But the internet is getting more dangerous by the day.

I'm glad I never listed any of my radio gear in my signature. Some folks might want to come shopping at my house.

But, as you might notice, a kind anonymous soul showed me how to disappear the badge.

If it doesn't stick then I'll change identities.

Edit: I'd be pleased to keep the badge if it didn't present my home address one-click away to the most casual reader.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I appreciate those that have concerns about privacy...there is always the option of associating a PO Box with your FCC Ham License info. You can do that online through the FCC website. I have updated my address several times over the years between here in NC and then in KY and back to NC and at a couple of the stops used PO Boxes that I rented out at the Post Office....did that to try to prevent the exwife from harassing me. :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Can't believe I missed that. Thank you.:D

I struggled with that because it seemed to require a second login. I'm logged in on the forums but couldn't see the account info until I logged in yet again on the Home page.
Or at least that's what I think I had to do (software and I don't get along very well)

w2xq

Mentor
Hmm, something wonky in the RR db coding re ham calls? Says I am "not found." I was first licensed in 1975, upgraded to Extra Jan 1977 and picked my call from the FCC's release of X-suffixes to the ARS 34 years ago, before the vanity call stuff came along.

That aside, a nice job on the creature comforts in the site development. Thanks to those who worked on the RR upgrades.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.