Amateur Radio Install in Car Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I have a Icom IC208H I want to install in my car, they recommend installing it directly to the battery, however I would much rather have it on a acc setup so the key is of then so is the radio...but I tried this and when I TX on 50w it popped the ACC fuse.

How have u guys wired up ur ham rigs in ur cars?? ive installed alot of radios but none with higher output...so im looking for some feedback from those that have.

thanks guys

Jas

N1BHH

Find the highest current fuse to connect with and do it, usually 15 or higher ampere fuses will do fine. Also take into account other devices connected to the circuit. You also must connect the ground wire to some part of the body, or some spot under the dash that connects to ground. You need to determine which fuses are turned on via ignition key using common sense (fuse panel indications) and volt meter.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
ACC Connection

Hi all,

I have a Icom IC208H I want to install in my car, they recommend installing it directly to the battery, however I would much rather have it on a acc setup so the key is of then so is the radio...but I tried this and when I TX on 50w it popped the ACC fuse.

How have u guys wired up ur ham rigs in ur cars?? ive installed alot of radios but none with higher output...so im looking for some feedback from those that have.

thanks guys

Jas

Odd, I ran a 208H hooked to a 12v ACC in my Chevy Lumina for years. Now, I got BUICK LaCrosse and it pops the 25 Amp ACC fuse. Go Fiqure!!! Looks like we got the same situation. I plan to run direct to battery when I get some wire. You can set the 208H to shut off automatically after a certain period of time with no activity.

KC9LVX

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
if you put in a bigger fuse u run the risk of frying all the wires on the circuit that are going to the power source. beacuse the fuse keeps it in the right current range (too high and it will blow the fuse)

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
thanks guys...ill do a search under the bonnet for a loom with a high amp fuse...id prefer not to run direct to battery if I can help it.

cheers

JeremyB

Why not run the power wire from the radio and put a relay in the circuit so the relay will only be closed when the ignition is on

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
ok I found a nice thick wire in the kickpanel and tapped into it...TX on 50w no problems, ive TX for about 30 sec and no issues!

No idea what the wire is for but hey it works ;)

mrweather

One advantage (among many) for wiring directly to the battery is it helps eliminate a lot of car-produced electrical noise. It's particularly important for HF operations and even FM can benefit.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
yeah i agree but I dont want to have to turn it off and back on every time I get in and out of the car, I am a rep on the road so im always in and out///// just makes it easier to run to ACC power

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The only danger in wiring the negative directly to the battery is that should something happen to the frame/engine harness, the radio itself would become the return for the whole electical system. So if you do decide to do this then make sure you put a fuse of the same current capacity on the negative line if it doesn't have one.

Not having an ignition sense lead is a major drawback in the amateur radio line of radios and I think it would be a very popular item if it was included in the newer version mobiles.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
The best way to wire a two moble radio is directly off the battery. This helps filter out noise. The best way for your situation is what Jermey stated. Hook the radio through a relay and have your ACC turn the relay on. Then the ACC circuit will only have a very small current going through it, with the main current flow going through the relay contacts, and the properly fused wires coming from the battery.
If you do do it this way be sure to listen to NS4VT and fuse the positive and negitive side of the system.

The problem with just locating a large size wire and splicing into it, you don't know what the fuse is that protects it. If something should go wrong the fuse may be to large to protect the wire going into your radio and cause fire.

W2NJS

The Icom IC208 radio runs fine if your car has an aux power jack in the console or in the back of the car. These jacks are usually NOT used for anything except what you the owner plugs into them. Look at your owner's manual to see what the current capacity of the power jack is. I've run off the power jacks in three Subaru Outbacks in succession since the year 2000.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
yeah its all working fine now..cheers

Attachments

• ic208 061.jpg
    ic208 061.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 13,496
  • ic208 062.jpg
    ic208 062.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 9,956
Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I always wire my radios directly to the battery using a 30A sealed lighting relay. (RS used to sell them) I also use a DPDT center off switch which controls the relay and a pilot light. The switch gives me always on, always off or on with ignition. That way I can use the cross band repeat without leaving the key in the vehicle.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
relay is really the the only and best way to go. and they are easy to wire up and take up very little space. the extra 10 bucks and 5 min to install is a lot of stress taken on your mind when installing a nice radio in your veh.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
use a DPDT center off switch which controls the relay and a pilot light. The switch gives me always on, always off or on with ignition. That way I can use the cross band repeat without leaving the key in the vehicle.

Hints from Heloise! Great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.