Amateur Radio License Examination Study Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
It has been a few years since I took my amateur radio license examinations, so I suspect things have changed a little bit. I am trying to get my oldest son interested and I want to get him some study materials. Is The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual pretty much the book right now? I know sometime after I was first licensed the Now Your Talking book became popular. I was sort of hoping that there was something online or as an iPod Touch application that was free or inexpensive, but I haven't found anything like that yet. Are there any other suggestions for study materials right now?

kskarma

Good testing help...

Here are a couple of links to some study exams...I used these for my General a few years back. I can't remember any specifics about either site, but a few minutes of looking them over should tell you if they might be helpful. I have a pretty extensive electronic background, so mainly I was looking for practice on the exams and not so much wanting any theory, etc. But..actually now, there is not a lot of theory on the test, it's a lot of rules, freq. allocations, good practices, safety, etc. All of these sites have some study material either in them...or have links to some other sites.

RadioQTH Amateur (HAM) Radio Practice Exams

QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests

http://www.eham.net/exams/

Good luck

Last edited:

N0IU

As far as apps for the iPod, search the iTunes store for Patrick J Maloney LLC. He has test prep apps that look pretty good. There is a free version for each test that will allow you to "try it before you buy it". If you do decide to buy them, the Technician and General apps are $4.99 and the Extra is $5.99. I haven't used them, but they appear to be pretty highly rated.

CLynch7

I used the 'Now You're Talking!' book to study for my tech and general. The novice material is very useful for the general question pool.

ah0a.org is a great site too, has quick study guides for each license.

SCPD

QRT
The ARRL study books tend to be more technical and kind of a dry-read. (He might get bored rather easily.)

I think the Gordon West book would be more appropriate. If he takes an interest with that (which is really a run-down of the questions with detailed answers) then you can proceed further.

I think the Gordon West books are like $25 thru Amazon or any ham radio store.

Status
Not open for further replies.