Amateur Radio Operator Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

So ya, i figure its about time i get my Certificate, and since most of you are local to me and i am pretty sure many of you have it already i was wondering if someone could give me some guidance on what i need to do.

I was looking at the RAC site and downloaded there practice exam program thing and i basically aced the advanced qualification part (i am currently working on my electrical engineering degree, so all the math and calculations are second hand nature for me) the basic qualification and morse code stuff would be what i would have trouble with since i have never touched morse code, and alot of the basic stuff seems to be laws more so then radio theory..

So ya, if someone could give me the inside scoop on how to get started and how much fees are and stuff like that that would be great, thanks

rhutch

MetalCarnage said:
So ya, i figure its about time i get my Certificate, and since most of you are local to me and i am pretty sure many of you have it already i was wondering if someone could give me some guidance on what i need to do.

I was looking at the RAC site and downloaded there practice exam program thing and i basically aced the advanced qualification part (i am currently working on my electrical engineering degree, so all the math and calculations are second hand nature for me) the basic qualification and morse code stuff would be what i would have trouble with since i have never touched morse code, and alot of the basic stuff seems to be laws more so then radio theory..

So ya, if someone could give me the inside scoop on how to get started and how much fees are and stuff like that that would be great, thanks

Just go write it, they usually offer it at the Milton Hamfest. Don't need morse anymore either so as Nike says "Just go do it". Good luck shouldn't be that though for you. Download the RIC's from IC, I think there are basic study guides available too, try Radioworld.

MetalCarnage

Ya, i just got a study guide thing for like $15 so i am good there, not looking to take a class or anything, by the looks of it i already know everything but the actual theory stuff (like canadian regulation/laws)...i was more looking for info on how to contact accredited ppl. The RAC has an excel document with a spreadsheet of all accredited ppl who can give u the test, but what do i do, just call them up or something?

xml

I swear, they need to work on this process... Nobody knows how to become a ham in Canada.

Best thing to do is find a ham radio club in your area (Durham ARC)... ask them where you can write your exam...

I did mine in Hamilton... cost me $5.

MetalCarnage

xml said:
I swear, they need to work on this process... Nobody knows how to become a ham in Canada.

Best thing to do is find a ham radio club in your area (Durham ARC)... ask them where you can write your exam...

I did mine in Hamilton... cost me $5.

Ya, its funny, the RAC website has lots of stuff on how they want to increase Ham operators and info on how great the program is and other special programs (youth programs, info, blah blah) yet its so hard to find info on how to actually DO IT...

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet is to contact the York Region Amateur radio club and go from their. I did mine this spring with the Peel Amateur club but was only interested in Basic and got it with Honors. Maybe one day i will go back and get my advance so i can setup a repeater.

http://www.yrarc.on.ca/?language=english

MetalCarnage

Chrome69 said:
Your best bet is to contact the York Region Amateur radio club and go from their. I did mine this spring with the Peel Amateur club but was only interested in Basic and got it with Honors. Maybe one day i will go back and get my advance so i can setup a repeater.

http://www.yrarc.on.ca/?language=english

Ya, i will probably try and get it done a little more out in my area, (Durham).....Peel is a little far away, i am sure there is somewhere in durham to get it done...

ve3zo

This weekend is the perfect opportunity for you to see what Ham Radio is all about. This weekend is Field Day weekend, Contact your local club and find out if and where they are participating. You may be able to operate some of the radios so long as there is a licensed operator there with you. I am sure there will be a few people there who can help you become a ham. Good Luck!!!

Chris
VE3CTP

MetalCarnage

cpitre said:
This weekend is the perfect opportunity for you to see what Ham Radio is all about. This weekend is Field Day weekend, Contact your local club and find out if and where they are participating. You may be able to operate some of the radios so long as there is a licensed operator there with you. I am sure there will be a few people there who can help you become a ham. Good Luck!!!

Chris
VE3CTP

I have the Ride For Sight this weekend, so thats a no go, lol http://www.rideforsight.org/central_ontario_event.html

going to be a blast, my fourth year going now

n8chb

cpitre said:

Chris
VE3CTP

Rite on Chris,

I attended my first amateur field day in London back in 1950's at 12 years old.

I recomend anyone interested in ham radio to go to one of the field day events in your area I'll never forget the fun I had staying up all night talking to folks around the world.

Roger - n8chb

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Russf said:
Your best place for info would be www.rac.ca or www.durhamradio.com .Good luck in getting your Amateur Radio Licence.CW is no longer needed to operate HF frequencies.I hope to work you on the bands once you get your licence. 73 Russ VE3ELL

Did you even read the thread before posting? Both of those sites where suggested through out the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.