Amateur Radio Topic Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
How about this for an idea? Having a Amateur Radio Topic Area for anyone that wants to talk about all Amateur Radio type information, like for instance: radio's antennas and so on. I know there is High Frequency topic area already made and listed on here but that just cover's H/F what about VHF & UHF? Just my 2cents. Jamie (Git-R-Done)

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
HAM Radio Discussion Forum

There is already an Antenna Forum.

However, I agree; an Amateur (HAM) Radio Discussion Forum may be a good idea. It could go under the Topic Specific Forums.

Although, I am sure this has been posed before and there was a good reason for not having one. I suppose that most of this type of discussion could go in the General Scanning Forum.

73s from K9DJW

morfis

The more bulletin board sections there are the more fragmented discussions might become.

If I monitor a naval ship talking to an aircraft via a satcom link whilst using a helical aerial and a dish/lnb and an icom and aor radio should I post to as it could clearly go in half a dozen already!

cellblock776

There are plenty of Ham related forums on the net already. Eham, Hamforum, Hamsexy, QRZ and others. Hams wanting to discuss ham stuff have several options already without have a seperate forum here at Radio Reference. I think RR should continue to focus on Scanning related stuff and leave the Ham specific discussions to other boards.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
cellblock776 said:
RR should continue to focus on Scanning

Funny as you have a bunch of ham stuff in your sig for wanting to stay focused on just scanning. :p

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yuk yuk hee hee

The Beavers says: Let the Hammies have their ham

I vote for the separate forum

There's hundreds of hams here as members and that seqment of the hobby is plenty big and popular enough to attract plenty of topic specific discussion. Also agreed like the other smart guy said, that AR discussions here would likely be better than a lot of the hooey that is seen in the QRZ & eHam forums.

At the moment, valid ham topics here get offered in the OT Tavern and ham VHF & up topics sometimes get posted in the HF Monitoring forum, both of which are really out of place for those forum's themes.

Our ham members here regularly offer assistance to others on many technical matters, especially in the Antenna forum, as most hams have good general working familiarity with radio operation/principles and hands on antenna and feedline experience.

So go ahead and throw some slop on the pigs....I mean hams

The ham ticket-bearing Beaver says ** vote YES on Proposition 69 ** Create An Amatuer Radio Forum, on November 7th.

Oh, and I hereby volunteer to be elected a Moderator of this new forum. If elected, I promise a receiver for every beaver. So vote for me...ReceiverBeaver, The King, The Freak, The Guru, The bringer of strong signals to marsupials everywhere.

assistant: "Pssst hey Beav, beavers arn't marsupials, they're mammals"

RB: What !?? Oh.....goddamit alright whatever......Yes yes good good VOTE for me. Receiver Beaver, The King, The Freak, The Guru, The bringer of strong signals to mammals everywhere....well....almost everywhere*.

*the Receiver Beaver Almost Everywhere Strong Signal Service to Mammals is not available in Antartica and Alabama.

RBAESSSM is an unwholly owned subsidiary of International Teledyne Defense Conglomerate

Last edited:

morfis

ReceiverBeaver said:
blah blah......
RBAESSSM is an unwholly owned subsidiary of International Teledyne Defense Conglomerate

I think a little less caffeine might be in order

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, I've made the concious decision to let the other well established web sites function as forums for Ham Radio Related topics. Therefore, I'd rather not manage a Ham Radio related forum...

Thanks for the feedback.

Lindsay

K9GTJ

cellblock776 said:
There are plenty of Ham related forums on the net already. Eham, Hamforum, Hamsexy, QRZ and others. Hams wanting to discuss ham stuff have several options already without have a seperate forum here at Radio Reference. I think RR should continue to focus on Scanning related stuff and leave the Ham specific discussions to other boards.

You forgot the eliteness of Hamsexy.com. You know if you don't have /\/\otorola, you are not worthy.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
cellblock776 said:

Agreed. RRdC is about scanning/monitoring. It seems as of late, there have been many more non-scanning related posts that are proving useless in the furtherence (sp?) of this website's scanning mission.

Case in point, the weather (wacker) forum. Relevance to scanning? Marginal at best, and thus far it's only been used as a roll call for spotters. What does this have to do with scanning? Nothing.

IMHO, there are so many ham-related forums and Yahoo! Groups that the addition of a ham forum to the RRdC community is simply a waste of resources. Of course, this is only my opinion and Lindsay is free to do with his site as he pleases (duh!) but I feel that adding yet another non-scanner forum is pointless and further subdivides the site.

*EDIT*

Didn't see that LB laid down the law already...oops!

Last edited:

bReed11091

Just last Thursday (02/22/2007), I took my Element 2 Technician License Exam and passed. Seeing that the Radio Reference forums are my forum of choice for all my radio communications needs, I thought of posting a new thread. However, after considering searching before I post, I found this one.

I've decided to bring the Amateur Radio Topic thread back into "play." Despite what the conclusion was, I see reasons why the Radio Reference forums should have such a place to talk about things like this.

Like others have said, we do have a lot of amateur operators of all license classes on the forums. That is one good reason. We can also give suggestions on electronics, building transceivers, antennas, setup options, and more. Don't you agree that we contribute a lot to the scanning society, since we are some of the people creating the transmissions?

Although there are other forums that hams can talk on, it is easier to just have one place to talk. I prefer this, because then I don't have passwords to remember, usernames to type, and many forums up at once on my browser.

The last reason I have is that an amateur operator’s obligation is to assist in emergency communications if the time calls. Our job is to react quickly, accurately, and completely in times of emergency. If primary (police/fire/EMS) communications fail, we are there for backup. If you couldn’t listen to primary communication on your scanner, then the next best thing would be listening to the closest amateur radio repeater. Even when there is no emergency, you can still sometimes hear amateur organizations such as ARES, RACES, and SKYWARN groups preparing and keeping their skills sharp on local nets.

That’s all I have to say for now, thanks for your time.

jonny290

Folks, I've made the concious decision to let the other well established web sites function as forums for Ham Radio Related topics. Therefore, I'd rather not manage a Ham Radio related forum...

While I respect your decision, that's unfortunate, but sleep tight in the knowledge that at least one Extra ham goes to RadioReference way, way before he goes to QRZ. This is by far the most 'information-heavy' site regarding radio on the Internet, barring the FCC's own database.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
bReed11091 said:
If primary (police/fire/EMS) communications fail, we are there for backup.

LOL please.

This is what t/a channels and cellphones are for. The reality of the fact is that even if a trunked system goes down users still have the ability to talk to one another. Many counties still have low band licesned to them and have the ability to talk on many bands, so the whole idea of a wide radio system failure and not being able to communicate at all is just here to create mass panic and to make hams feel wanted.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Emergency Communications

NeFire242 said:
LOL please.

This is what t/a channels and cellphones are for. The reality of the fact is that even if a trunked system goes down users still have the ability to talk to one another. Many counties still have low band licesned to them and have the ability to talk on many bands, so the whole idea of a wide radio system failure and not being able to communicate at all is just here to create mass panic and to make hams feel wanted.
Yep, that is why my county (Los Angeles, CA - the largest populated county in the country) has a whole infrastructure system and a complete organization set up using ham radio operators and ham radio equipment; combined with Sheriff Department personnel, equipment, and facilities. The Los Angeles County Disaster Communications Services (DCS) is administered and partially funded by Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The DCS has on many occasion filled in during time of need to provide emergency and essential communications for the County of Los Angeles, such as during the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. Funny how Los Angeles County recognizes the need to put so much into utilizing ham radio operators.

There are other organizations similar to the DCS, like the one used by the Los Angeles Police Department, the California Emergency Mobile Patrol (CEMP). The CEMP is not soley for the purpose of emergency communications, but also performs functions for the LAPD such as search and rescue, emergency medical services, and canine services.

So for someone to say things such as these systems are set up using the auspices of panic and only to make hams feel good is not only unwarranted, but also ignorant. LOL, please, the world doesn't revolve around "smallville county, USA."

Last edited:

bReed11091

I wasn't saying that when primary communications fail, that the only thing left is ham radio. I was saying that when they fail, hams step in. I understand that departments do still pay for licenses for frequencies that they used back in the day, so that if something does happen, they can use it. I understand that we are not primary backup/secondary communications.

Cell phones can be used, but third parties can't hear them unless they have been granted a license for a cellular unblocked scanner. I know that every police officer doesn't have such a set up, so to say something like that is ignorant. Even saying that talk of system failure create panic and makes hams feel wanted is ignorant.

All I'm saying is this; if we had a amateur radio thread, people will use it. I know that there is a lot to talk about, and people don't like to have a bunch of passwords or usernames to remember for every radio related thread that they talk in. I know I would use it, and even people who aren't hams would use it.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
As has been pointed out by Lindsay, there will not be a specific Ham forum on the site. A lot of people are forgetting that this site is principally about monitoring.

Also, dragging up an old thread is just silly. If you want to say something new, say it in a new thread. In any case this one is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.