Amateur Radio Transceivers With P-25 Decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Does anybody know if there are any amateur radios available yet that will decode conventional P-25 when listening out of band? It seems like Icom makes a receiver that decodes both D-STAR and P-25, but I would like to see it in a dual band portable or mobile.

N8IAA

Does anybody know if there are any amateur radios available yet that will decode conventional P-25 when listening out of band? It seems like Icom makes a receiver that decodes both D-STAR and P-25, but I would like to see it in a dual band portable or mobile.

Icom ham radios do D-STAR only. Motorola ht's and mobiles in the 145Mhz and 440Mhz range with the P-25 module installed is what is being used for ham digital. I wish there was an easier and cheaper way to go digital on the ham bands. Forgot about the 2500 rcvr that with other software decodes P-25.
Larry

Last edited:

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I called Motorola the other day to get prices on their Digital P-25 HT and Mobiles. I don't know if it is respectful to post the price here...but if you PM me, I could give you the price.

n1das

ICOM IC-F70DS/DT (VHF) and IC-F80DS/DT (UHF) portables are a good way to go.

IC-F70DS = VHF P25 digital, limited keypad
IC-F70DT = VHF P25 digital, full keypad

IC-F80DS = UHF P25 digital, limited keypad
IC-F80DT = UHF P25 digital, full keypad

IC-F70S (no D) = VHF with no P25, upgradable to P25, limited keypad
IC-F70T (no D) = VHF with no P25, upgradable to P25, full keypad

IC-F80S (no D) = UHF with no P25, upgradable to P25, limited keypad
IC-F80T (no D) = UHF with no P25, upgradable to P25, full keypad

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/landmobile/portables/f70D_series/default.aspx

If you're interested in ICOM's P25 portables, go for one of the models with P25 in it from the factory. Don't bother with any of the non-D models and then upgrade it later.

Also take a look at the KENWOOD TK-5210 (VHF) and TK-5310 (UHF) portables.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Land_Mobile_Radio/Portables/TK-5210-5310

Last edited:

n1das

I doubt we'll see P25 in a ham-market portable or mobile anytime soon for a number of reasons, high cost being one of them. Commercial gear is the only way to go right now and it's what I prefer to use anyway. Aside from using it to listen outside the ham bands it's what I'm using on P25 ham systems.

Last edited:

jbaker6953

You can get a Bendix King with P25 capability for $900 or so if you bargain hunt. While not cheap for a portable, it's less than a lot of P25 equipment and they're built like tanks. The disadvantage is that you'll be limited to the 2M band, but it's a good band to be on anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.