Amateur Radio "Urban Legends" Thread

16b

Premium Subscriber
Don't think this qualifies as an urban legend since I've only ever heard it from one person, but we have a local ham who takes every opportunity possible to explain that when it comes to handheld radio antenna connectors, the BNC is overwhelmingly superior to the "Small Mickey-Mouse Antenna" (SMA) and that hams should avoid buying radios with SMA connectors at all costs. If he ever gave any justification for this perspective I don't remember what it was.

I've heard plenty of other myths, but this one has always stuck with me because it seems like such a weird hill to die on. The guy is still around, but I haven't run into him in a while. Wonder if he's still out there preaching the gospel of the BNC.

Token

Don't think this qualifies as an urban legend since I've only ever heard it from one person, but we have a local ham who takes every opportunity possible to explain that when it comes to handheld radio antenna connectors, the BNC is overwhelmingly superior to the "Small Mickey-Mouse Antenna" (SMA) and that hams should avoid buying radios with SMA connectors at all costs. If he ever gave any justification for this perspective I don't remember what it was.

I've heard plenty of other myths, but this one has always stuck with me because it seems like such a weird hill to die on. The guy is still around, but I haven't run into him in a while. Wonder if he's still out there preaching the gospel of the BNC.

Possibly he is thinking of mating cycles.

SMA are often rated for about 500 mating cycles. But that 500 cycle number assumes you properly torque the fittings each cycle. And really, if it is an antenna connector on a hand held, how many people with the radios even own the correct torque wrench? A BNC connector may not be rated for a lot more cycles, but it is much more forgiving in application. It is just harder to screw up connecting a BNC connector.

I can say that I have seen a lot more (as a percentage) SMA damaged by operator / user error than BNC.

T!

lands818

Premium Subscriber
I miss that website. Yeah, I know it is still there, but hasn't been updated in a long time.
As a ham, myself, I think it's good to take a humorous look at the hobby, even if it makes some uncomfortable.
Agreed about taking a humorous look at the hobby (& ourselves). This thread seems to be fitting the bill more than I imagined! 🤣

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
when it came to learning how to program trunking radios using DOS RSS.

those were the days, getting Moto to send you the archive file to dump to a maxtrac for one of their SMR systems. Then along came Standard and having to use the eeprom eraser and program everything manually. i found it interesting, we had one guy that could do it and i kept begging for him to allow me. once i did a couple he gladly handed it over. LOL

I'll say that in my experience techs work in the commercial/government industry that are HAMs were a HAM first, very few that got their start as a paid tech first seem to go back and get a HAM license. probably for the same reason i never did, by the time i got off work i really did not want to spend hours playing with more radios. I understand that there is WAAAAY more to it than that, but that was how i an others i know looked at it.

bharvey2

...didn't mean diddly squat when it came to learning how to program trunking radios using DOS RSS.

I've still got an old10 key programmer for programming the EEPROMs for a few radios. Got the DOS one after that because it was such a PITA. To be honest, it didn't help with picking up women either. Hmmm, maybe it's because I only programmed conventional or maybe it was the wrong model.

Boombox

A big part of the problem is the persistence of wrong information on the internet. If you want to support a flawed theory, WTC Thermite for example, just Google the subject and you will find the supporting answers to your flawed assumptions. Critical reading skills need to be drilled into kids minds and should be required for voting privileges for those over 60.
Agreed on the need to teach critical thinking and critical reading skills, but the age makes no difference.

Boombox

I thought this thread was going to deal with what used to be a famous urban legend prevalent in the ham community, the long delayed echo. And by this, I mean the reports that used to be recorded now and then in the amateur radio press about hams hearing transmissions that were longer than expected. Like minutes after the transmission -- that king of thing.

I always wondered if there was any truth to it, being that radio waves travel at the speed of light.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I thought this thread was going to deal with what used to be a famous urban legend prevalent in the ham community, the long delayed echo. And by this, I mean the reports that used to be recorded now and then in the amateur radio press about hams hearing transmissions that were longer than expected. Like minutes after the transmission -- that king of thing.

I always wondered if there was any truth to it, being that radio waves travel at the speed of light.
I think that the physics support LDE. But it is a rare observation.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Ham/urban legends:
-Public safety radio systems will all fail and ham radio operators will save the day.
-Amateur radio license give access to all of the electromagnetic spectrum, especially public safety radio systems.
-Amateur radio operators have legal authority to run red/blue lights with sirens.
You left out the many times hams saved countless lives with their bandoleros of Baoturds like paratroopers to rescue humanity from itself. ARES badge and ID card donned proudly on their food stained orange and green vests, because HAM RADIO SAVES LIVES WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You left out the many times hams saved countless lives with their bandoleros of Baoturds like paratroopers to rescue humanity from itself. ARES badge and ID card donned proudly on their food stained orange and green vests, because HAM RADIO SAVES LIVES WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS.

No I didn't:

Urban legend:
Hamsexy is not funny, or accurate.

jhooten

A higher gain antenna makes your transmitter put out more power.

The roof of your car is an adequate ground plane for 6/10 meters.

When it comes to @mmckenna and some others on here...the real question is, did they find the job through the hobby or the hobby through the job?

I can only speak for myself, the radio operator plate on my truck got me a promotion from GS5 Correctional Officer to GS9 Electronics Tech.

Last edited: