Amateur Radio "Urban Legends" Thread

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hobby was first, then the opportunity presented itself. Thankfully I was smart enough to know I wasn't smart enough. I walked into the job with my tail between my legs and didn't act like I knew everything. That got me in the door to learn.
Amateur radio was absolutely the ground work, but passing a 35 question multiple choice test didn't mean diddly squat when it came to learning how to program trunking radios using DOS RSS.

Ditto. The amateur radio license was just a stepping stone to learning more. I've been in radio as a vocation and avocation for over 40 years and I'm still learning. Don't expect to stop, either....

AK_SAR

Problem is, I think I've sprung a leak. I can't seem to retain stuff like I used to.
As I get older my brain is like a full book shelf. If I add a new book on one end, another book gets pushed off the other end, and ends up in a big pile on the floor. The books on the floor aren’t really lost, but it sure takes a long time to hunt through to find what I need!

mitbr

As I get older my brain is like a full book shelf. If I add a new book on one end, another book gets pushed off the other end, and ends up in a big pile on the floor. The books on the floor aren’t really lost, but it sure takes a long time to hunt through to find what I need!
Yea that happens to me as well....this is also what happened to Kelly Bundy on Married with Children...LOL
Tim :cool:

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
"______ Mode is going to KILL the hobby!!!!'
followed by:
"The hobby is dying because the kids aren't interested in radio"

It reminds me about what they say about the fire service:
"There are two things firemen hate: the way things are and change"

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
"______ Mode is going to KILL the hobby!!!!'
followed by:
"The hobby is dying because the kids aren't interested in radio"

It reminds me about what they say about the fire service:
"There are two things firemen hate: the way things are and change"
I remember when it was the No Code Tech was going to kill the Hobby,in my opinion the no code tech kind of saved this ham radio hobby and brought in a new and young people .........

Reality or Legend ?

I have two girl friends that decided it would be fun, as new hams, to attend a meeting of a local ham club together

Now, I don't want to paint ham radio clubs with a broad brush, but they related their experience like visiting a Jabba the Hutt's family reunion.

"We think the average weight was 300 pounds"

So, have you guys gone back ??---

images.jpg