Amateur Radio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger2004

Has anyone thought about using a local repeater to chat about scanner traffic?
Just thought it would be nice chat with others about what's happening.

Brett

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Google Plus

I was actually thinking of setting up a Google Plus page and porting over the Twitter feed alerts so that each tweet would make a post and comments could be made on each and a hangout could even be started.

Any interest in that?

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
If we do this it will give me the final push to get a new HT. THANK YOU !!! :)

Last edited:

kf7yn

Well there is good news and bad news:

N7IMF said we are welcome to use the 448.700 repeater but the bad news is it has an access code which he isn't willing to give out so we would have to call him to disable the code while we use it. Since we would randomly be using it, this isn't a realistic option.

However, he said he will be putting up the 448.800 repeater on Point of the Mtn when the weather improves and there is no access code, just the usual PL tone but it's not up yet. Soooo, looks like we're S.O.L. for now unless anyone has another repeater available, preferably wide-area.

Ideas anyone?

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Fwiw

If we do this it will give me the final push to get a new HT. THANK YOU !!! :)
Say have you looked at Wouxun? Strange name but for $125 I got a great 2m/440 128 channel HT. 5W VHF and I think 4w UHF. FULL of options. Hard to program by hand, a breeze with a $20 cable and free program.
w

kf7yn

Okay I need to correct my post. I misunderstood what N7IMF said about using the 448.700 repeater. He has turned the access tone off so we can use it anytime. The PL tone is 114.7 if anyone wants to get on and chat.

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking at the Wouxun. How do you like it wbloss? This will be my first HT or HAM radio for that fact. I have only had my my sign for about a year. Every time i get some money rounded up to purchess one, more pressing matters pop up. I think i have it narrowed down to the Wouxun and the Yaesu FT60. I know everyone will have there own opinion but other input on what to get always helps. One of the things about the i have a question about the Wouxun is the longevity of it and the quality of build. The Yaesu ft60 has been around for years and the Wouxun is new. I am on the fence between the two. I think around the $150 mark is all I can go for now. Then hopefully build up from there. Until i pull the trigger on one i will put the freq in my scanner a listen in for now.

Zagadka

Be sure to look at the cost difference on the programming software between the two models. I don't know if the Yaesu requires additional cost for the software or the cable but I do know that there's some excellent software available for the Wouxun 1, 2, 3 (not 6) series for free - KG-UV Commander. The software will make your life much easier. Of course, as a scanner guy, I'll bet you already know that!

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Be sure to look at the cost difference on the programming software between the two models. I don't know if the Yaesu requires additional cost for the software or the cable but I do know that there's some excellent software available for the Wouxun 1, 2, 3 (not 6) series for free - KG-UV Commander. The software will make your life much easier. Of course, as a scanner guy, I'll bet you already know that!

The Wouxun is an excellent inexpensive rig. It does scan but is not quite all you'd ever want in a conventional scanner. The Commander software works very well. I'm quite pleased with a dual band HT for under $150 complete! ANd the 2m 220MHz version works fine also.
W

ranger2004

Okay I need to correct my post. I misunderstood what N7IMF said about using the 448.700 repeater. He has turned the access tone off so we can use it anytime. The PL tone is 114.7 if anyone wants to get on and chat.

This is good news. I just seen it tonight.
Topic changed and it was in the middle some where.
Thanks Jon for checking it out.

Brett

bcoray

I'm down with that. Better than sending out additional Twitter pages to comment on activity.

I was actually thinking of setting up a Google Plus page and porting over the Twitter feed alerts so that each tweet would make a post and comments could be made on each and a hangout could even be started.

Any interest in that?

bcoray

The VHF Society lists the tone as 114.8 which is a conventional tone. Is this machine on Lake Mountain? how's the coverage into the SW portion of Salt Lake County?

kg9nn

ranger2004

That would include this website, text, cell calls, on and on.
Not to worried about it. 1934 is so yesterday.. ;)

kf7yn

Sorry Ranger2004 I haven't been listening the last couple days but I'll get on tomorrow (Tues). Thanks for the reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.