AmateurLogic TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Who, besides other than myself watches Internet Show " The Amateur Logic TV that's produced out of the Jackson,ms area. By George Thomas: W5JDX and Tommy
W5JDX, Tommy Martin (both out of the Jackson,MS), With Emile Diodene,; KE5QKR.
They cover various technicial related interests and items, also Amateur Radio Related items and information as well. Here's a link to goto watch the show and any back episodes as well. www.Amateurlogic.tv

W5GX

They have their own Roku channel. I have watched a little bit here and there, but can't commit the time watch all of one episode at one time. Some of the segments are interesting.

KE0GXN

Meh....I tried watching them when I first got my ticket, but like others have stated here found them to be boring. There quite a few other amateur radio YouTube shows I watch that are a lot more informative and interesting in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Tommy and George seem like great guys, they just can't keep me engaged for as long as their shows are.

With that said, I am still a subscriber to their channel. Always willing to to see if they post a show that will entice me to watch...

k6cpo

Same here.
Most ham radio YouTube videos contain a lot of "information" that is wrong.

And so many of the people that make the videos love to hear themselves talk. They spend too much time beating around the bush or explaining things that everyone watching the video already knows.

PACNWDude

This was one of the first channels I added when I bought my first Roku device. However, some of their comments and knowledge about repeater use led me to watch less and less. I am in a heavily mountainous and forested area, where repeater use is a lot more common. I still have the channel going in the background at times, and enjoy some episodes. Some are a bit slow, but they do offer another perspective about amateur radio in a part of the country that I do not frequent very often anymore.

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
The problem with almost all ham shows/podcasts is in producing good content. You either have to be very niche or produce very high quality content on a regular basis, which is hard as everyone of these shows/podcasts I've ever seen is done by very few people, most of these are produced by one or two hams at most.

I want to try to stay away from naming/shaming individual shows, but there are a few that do it very good, and some that do it very bad. Linux in the Ham Shack is a audio podcast I've found to almost always be very informative and well produced, but it's a pretty niche area (lhspodcast.info). TX Factor (TX Factor) is about the best produced video podcast on amateur radio, but their releases have at times been sporatic, I'm sure from the difficulty in producing professional and well informed content as a side gig.

One that I recently tried again and was still somewhat dissapointed in is Ham Nation, a show produced by a big podcasting network, twit.tv. I found the early episodes to be well produced, and they always had a variety of topics. As much of the content is produced independently by various hams involved with the show (George from Amateurlogic is a regular contributer to Ham Nation as well), it varies from excellent (some of Bob Heil's older segments, Julian, N3JF). It also is let down by some poor content as well(Bob seems to be not quite a sharp mentally in the few recent episodes I've watched, Gordon West has always been unwatchable). This is what happens when you try to release a show weekly and need to fill content. I've also never been too happy with Icom's deep financial and content involvement with the show. You can see this in the overabundance of Icom related content and at times a reluctance to talk about products that may compete with Icom, such as DMR.

k6cpo

The problem with almost all ham shows/podcasts is in producing good content. You either have to be very niche or produce very high quality content on a regular basis, which is hard as everyone of these shows/podcasts I've ever seen is done by very few people, most of these are produced by one or two hams at most.

I want to try to stay away from naming/shaming individual shows, but there are a few that do it very good, and some that do it very bad. Linux in the Ham Shack is a audio podcast I've found to almost always be very informative and well produced, but it's a pretty niche area (lhspodcast.info). TX Factor (TX Factor) is about the best produced video podcast on amateur radio, but their releases have at times been sporatic, I'm sure from the difficulty in producing professional and well informed content as a side gig.

One that I recently tried again and was still somewhat dissapointed in is Ham Nation, a show produced by a big podcasting network, twit.tv. I found the early episodes to be well produced, and they always had a variety of topics. As much of the content is produced independently by various hams involved with the show (George from Amateurlogic is a regular contributer to Ham Nation as well), it varies from excellent (some of Bob Heil's older segments, Julian, N3JF). It also is let down by some poor content as well(Bob seems to be not quite a sharp mentally in the few recent episodes I've watched, Gordon West has always been unwatchable). This is what happens when you try to release a show weekly and need to fill content. I've also never been too happy with Icom's deep financial and content involvement with the show. You can see this in the overabundance of Icom related content and at times a reluctance to talk about products that may compete with Icom, such as DMR.

Quality can go downhill when the producers start pandering to their advertisers. I was a touring motorcyclist for many years and I used to read the touring magazines religiously. One magazine decided to eliminate that problem by dropping all advertising in their magazine. Once they did that, the magazine went from a nice, glossy, color publication to a black and white format printed on inferior quality paper and subscription prices went up. No surprise they eventually went under...

Status
Not open for further replies.