• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Amatuer Radio Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4CYA

Amateur Radio Testing

Im going for it after having a long QSO with my father which is a valid operator and his friend in Oklahoma gave me courage and what I need to pass the test. Im going for my technician license which will take place on the 9th of this month im ready for it! I've study hard to hopefully past the test. For the radio after I pass the test will be my dad's present of what I bought him, which will be the Kenwood Tm-V708a dual band radio. 73's Jamie (Git-R-Done)

Last edited:

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well congrats GRD !! I've been a hammy and have stayed a Tech for 11 years now. Got into radio initially during the Great CB Boom of the mid 1970's fueled substantially by the Smoky and the Bandit movie.

Hamming is lots of fun. You'll love the modern sophisticated radios and all of the features, power and capabilities that they have. Hopefully very soon, the FCC will get off of their ass and go forward with the dropping of the code requirement to obtain HF voice privilages, and you and I can chat it up on HF sometime!

good luck and have fun !!

RB

N4CYA

Thanks for the reply, I been studying my butt off this past 2 weeks, so far I got the questions & answer's down pat, the questions probaly gonna throw me off will be electronics. But who knows I hope to pass. I hope they drop the code requirement code for the HF Bands. To me since im 24 years old would like to talk on the h/f band, I probaly wouldnt pass the general test with the code requirement. That scares the younger youth (code requirement for h/f)

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Good luck and don't stress yourself out too much...keep us updated on how things go! :)
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

nexus

Hey thats great! Good luck on the test. I know how it feels. After 18 years as a tech+ I finally went and took my General class on August 8th. I went to QRZ.com and did the practice exams each day until I was passing with 85% or better, then I knew I was ready, and from all of that practice I went in, took the test and made a 100 on general!

So my suggestion if you haven't already been doing it, would be to go to QRZ.com and start taking each practice exam for Technician and keep working on them up until the day of the test, it'll certainly increase your chances. AND GOOD LUCK!

AC0RV

Best of Luck. Looking forward to chatting with you on the Ham Bands. But do not stop at Technian go all the way to the top and get your Extra Class License.

N4CYA

Thanks Guys for the support! Im trying my best to study hard and become quite the Amateur Radio Operator!

N4CYA

I just got back home from the Amateur Radio Testing, Guess what? I passed! I missed only 6 to 7 questions. I get my call sign this monday one of the local vec's said to me. :cool:

cellblock776

Congrats. Let us know your new call as soon as youu get it. I attended my first (of many) Code classes with members of one of the radio clubs I belong to. For the next couple of months I'll be cracking down and making CW a part of my life.

N4CYA

Thanks Guys...for the nice welcomes of welcoming me to Amateur Radio! Cant wait to get on the air waves

nexus

Git-R-Done have you eyed yourself a radio yet?
I've used and owned several in my 18+ years now.

N4CYA

Yes sir, I do! Im using my dad's kenwood tm-v708a dual band radio that covers 144/440, and probaly soon I'll be looking for a handheld like a yaesu vx-6. since 2/222/440 is popular around here. Jamie (Git-R-Done)

cschmit

Git-R-Done said:
I just got back home from the Amateur Radio Testing, Guess what? I passed! I missed only 6 to 7 questions. I get my call sign this monday one of the local vec's said to me. :cool:
Congrats and welcome aboard. You won't regret having that lic, I got mine in May and love it. It is a great hobby and I can't wait to get my next lic. Congrats again!! :)

N4CYA

Thanks! I already have a operator out in Oklahoma who wants to be my first contact, he talks to my dad almost all the time on QRZ'ed and IRLP. Hopefully I will have my call sign on the FCC'S uls data base today :D

Status
Not open for further replies.