Amazed at Columbia media coverage of LE events

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye10

Premium Subscriber
This past Saturday I listened to the Columbia PD special events channel during the St Pats festival.

Let me tell you the CPD guys were very busy. They had a signal 12 (possible suicide), lab tech called to the scene, Chief Scott was at the scene. the whole deal. And of course nothing is reported in the main stream media, nothing.

It is amazing to me how tight lipped the media is here in the Capital City on these things.

Keep the public quiet and calm. Keep them in the dark about the true amount of crime. Keep'em quiet and calm.

JoeyC

Reporting on suicides is in very poor taste and is not newsworthy unless it has an impact on the public (i.e. someone jumped off a bridge and the rescue attempt is now causing a 10 mile backup during rush hour)

jackj

Hawkeye, it's not just in bad taste to report suicides but actually might encourage more of them. You have to admit that anyone who would take their own life isn't too tightly wrapped to start with. Sensationalizing someone jumping off a bridge or a building might just jolt someone else to think it would be a good way to gain fame. A public suicide endangers not just the jumper but the rescue workers as well.

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Here in Orange County are crappy media reports them all the time usually with very limited accuracy. I think it is sad and people should be aware but not reporting is better than failing to report accuractely which our media is known for.

Ps. We've had about 4 or 5 in the last several weeks and they are very disproportionally covered.

KJ6HCB

More often than not they probably just are unaware... people like us who listen to radios usually are more informed than the media.

But yes, usually suicides are a no no for news.

Status
Not open for further replies.