• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Amazing! They still make CBs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No they're not,I'm sad to say. But they are hurting some indeed smaller,but very good specialty stores which might otherwise survive.
Does anyone remember the "Allied radio" franchise many years ago?
N9ZAS.

n9emz

If Rat Shack and Wally*World are still around when I retire, I won't have a problem finding a job. Next time I'm near RS I'll snap a couple of pics....most will be surprised at the line of CBs they have in stock.

Doesn't matter to me if they never make another CB radio....I'm well stocked. Yes, hammy gear is much better than CB gear....for ham band use....and that's about it. That's why my hammy gear stays on the hammy frequencies and I run CB gear for CB.

Rock on and 73.

JayMojave

Yeah the ham bands can be boring, but can also be a kick.

Many CB users have modified ham equipment and use them as they are better radios with better sensitivity, sensitivity, DSP, Filtering, and of course more power. A friend inside one of the manufactures said they believe 30 to 40 percent of their radios are sold to CB'ers and others users.

Jay in the Mojave

I use to monitor the Ham band. Not anymore. Boring.

DX949

Banned
Ham is for "communicating" not monitoring. :D
I would have to say it is for both Communication and monitoring !
and at time's it can get really boring.

n9emz

Yeah the ham bands can be boring, but can also be a kick.

Many CB users have modified ham equipment and use them as they are better radios with better sensitivity, sensitivity, DSP, Filtering, and of course more power. A friend inside one of the manufactures said they believe 30 to 40 percent of their radios are sold to CB'ers and others users.

Jay in the Mojave

Prevalent hearsay that mostly those with limited practical experience in comparing the two cling to and parrot. Hammy gear wins hands-down where SSB performance and power are concerned, but few can equal some CB rigs for AM performance on the CB Band. Now, add a crapload of audio rack gear to your hammy rigs and it can be a different story, but without that there are some CB rigs that will shine them on.

I would have to say it is for both Communication and monitoring !
and at time's it can get really boring.

Absolutely. Pretty much SOS/DD where all forms of communications are concerned.

gewecke

Banned
In my area the 2 meter ham band is a lot like cb,in the sense that it's used for the om to call the yl to see if bread is needed,that kind of stuff.
Or,you'll get the geriatric crowd talking about their hf contact to zimbabwe...or,how his "roids" kept him up all night!
But I've had some really informative,and technical talks on the bands above 2 meters. We have a rather high fidelity 220mhz. repeater with excellent coverage,and a couple rarely used 440 repeaters,but as far as cb goes,other than the truckers on I-55 there's rarely any local cb traffic to hear.
The frs channels of course,are kiddie packed.
N9ZAS.

canav844

CB is alive a well. It can serve a very useful purpose in vehicle to vehicle communications, making good use of a mere 4watts. And well I can convince someone to spend $60 on a CB and have decent comms with them in very short order vs convincing them to buy a book/take a class, study (this scares off most), spend $15 on a test, wait a week (assuming they pass on try one), then buy $300+ in equipment.

HAM is more capable, more reliable and more dynamic. It's a much smaller crowd, thats far more spread out across it's band area, and even then HAMs have many bands they spread beyond that.

FRS is up and hopping too, and licensed GMRS is even a fair bit more popular than anticipated too, which can provide an outlet for medium range private non secure conversation at a similar to lower cost than HAM, and FRS is an excellent outlet for immediate need for close range non licensed communications, pass out a few $20 radios and to start a search in the confines of a park, or just keep in contact with some kids going to the park down the street or talk directions to someone while they follow me during rush hour where separation may spread a few blocks it's highly effective.

mikepdx

Those who haven't gone thru an extended period (weeks, months)
of the MUF being at or above 26-27 MHz, you're in for a real treat.

You'll more than likely often be unable to talk more than a few blocks (if you're using legal power),
thanks to the idiots running a ton of power, even though they're located 2000-3000 miles away.
It wont matter whether you're in the city or in the middle of a wilderness.

If you're interested in fairly decent local communications on CB,
pray that the sunspots never come...

Last edited:

DX949

Banned
Those who haven't gone thru an extended period (weeks, months)
of the MUF being at or above 26-27 MHz, you're in for a real treat.

You'll more than likely often be unable to talk more than a few blocks (if you're using legal power),
thanks to the idiots running a ton of power, even though they're located 2000-3000 miles away.
It wont matter whether you're in the city or in the middle of a wilderness.

If you're interested in fairly decent local communications on CB,
pray that the sunspots never come...

On all 40 channel's ? I don't think so.
DX is cool.....

DirtyLarry

Hmm really? Guess I'm doing it wrong. I haven't keyed a mic, or a key even in at least 8 years.
I'll have to dig up my old Kenwood 7950 and kerchunk a few repeaters then.. :)

Kerchunkling a repeater is not communicating. There is nothing communicated.

All that would be is an unidentified illegal transmission. :)

Last edited:

JayMojave

Stay on em Larry!

The hall monitor mentality is alive and well. I am sure the gentelmen simple ment to get out there on 2 meters. Some of you boys get wrapped around the axle pretty fast, funny at times. Its a shame that Ham Radio Fraternity gets a bad wrap over this mentality.

Jay in the Mojave

Kerchunkling a repeater is not communicating. There is nothing communicated.

All that would be is an unidentified illegal transmission. :)

gewecke

Banned
Yeah,kerchunkin'.....is kind of like "droppin' the maul" back in the cb days!
But I never did that,either!lol
N9ZAS.

DX949

Banned
Stay on em Larry!

The hall monitor mentality is alive and well. I am sure the gentelmen simple ment to get out there on 2 meters. Some of you boys get wrapped around the axle pretty fast, funny at times. Its a shame that Ham Radio Fraternity gets a bad wrap over this mentality.

Jay in the Mojave

Not all ham radio operators get a bad wrap for some bad apple.
That's why a like CB,i can let loose some times and not be so serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.