Amazon Cracking Down on Radio Sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Radio frequency devices include, but are not limited to: Wi-Fi devices, Bluetooth devices, radios, broadcast transmitters, signal boosters, and devices with cellular technology. New requirements for sellers of these devices are being put into effect for all new listings effective the end of February. See the full notice on the Amazon website.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nice.

However, we know how this is going to go:
"...or contact information for the Responsible Party, as defined by the FCC."
I suspect an international phone number (China) that goes to a voice mail box that never gets answered.

But I guess it's a start. I cannot imagine Amazon is doing this on their own. I'm wondering if the FCC is involved.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Nice.
... I cannot imagine Amazon is doing this on their own. I'm wondering if the FCC is involved.

I imagine the legal powers that be inside Amazon said they could be liable under the new FCC warning/guidance issued in wake of the Capitol situation in Jauary if they didn't make sellers certify that they do comply with FCC requirements.

And though I don't expect many changes, I hope they crack down on the CCRs being advertised as scanners,

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I see this as a way for Amazon to avoid any liability. Radios like Baofeng can still be sold for licensed amateur use. This is a loophole so large that it is cosmic. These radios should have never been allowed off the boat on day one. They are illegal in many countries and should be here.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Hoo Boy,.. you guys are in for such shocks with what this will lead to. Hey we have an sales area too that has not instated such regs... Ready for it to make it harder here too? Well are you?? Or are you all gonna cry about it when this site cracks down on you folks too???

djmorgan

Anything that starts with " As part of our ongoing efforts to protect our customers and enhance the customer experience..." you know is to 1) cover their own rear end or 2) gouge more money out of you while giving you much less than you got before. Probably the first case here. Airlines seem to specialize in the second. It is kind of amazing that Amazon apparently wasn't too worried about any kind of compliance of any of their products in the past. Maybe they should review items requiring UL approval or other approvals not to mention compliance with warnings about chemicals and related items. It has been kind of the wild west for some types of products. Hopefully this is all for the good.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
As long as you can order directly from China, the CCRs will continue to flow with all their misrepresentations.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
They need to crack down on them. There are many with no FCC certification, and many that are certified as either Amatuer radios or FRS/GMRS radios that are being sold as professional radios. I have had to answer way too many questions from people who have bought that cheap stuff and want me to support it for them. When I tell them they aren't legal to use they get mad at me for it. I have even conversed with some of the people selling the stuff and they are clueless as well.

There is even a new generation of radio dealers who are selling this stuff on their own websites under their own brand name who are clueless as to what their products are authorized for. I've had some tell me that their Amatuer or FRS authorized equipment was legal on business channels as long as I had a license for it.

Lot's of CCR Part 90 radios are also being sold outside of their certified parameters. I have looked at the testing reports from a bunch of these. Some of them were certified more recently, with 6.25 kHz ANALOG in the test documents. Not a very feasible mode of operation, and the actual radios sold will only do 12.5 kHz analog.

It's good to see Amazon stepping up a little but the FCC also needs to do a better job of looking at what the labs are submitting and not just rubber-stamp everything.

K7IGACraig

Ever since the alphabet networks and certain cable news channel highlighted the fact protesters at the capitol were using radio equipment to "coordinate" their efforts, looking at ham and other radio services began. Soon after the FCC warning came out to ham radio operators not to use the radio service to commit crimes, Duh! And now amazon looking for ways to shut down some radio sellers to curb sales of radios common to preppers and militia groups. This is all its about. I think it was CNN that had a picture of a person in DC and they had circled the beofeng in red. Pretty funny i thought.

pb_lonny

I suspect this will have flow on effects to us "down under" and see less of these being sold to "unlicensed" people.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There was once a time when no one would sell a ham radio without the would be buyer showing his amateur license.
Did the FCC rules stipulate this? Or, was it just a gentlemen's agreement among the dealers?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
It was just as you suggest, a gentlemen's (and ladies!) agreement.
And some of the FB groups still use this. Even some of the guys slanging scanners wanna put the calls out there like thats some legitimization or proof they are not gonna scam you. I laugh irl till I cry on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.