Amazon's Alexa Devices... Echo - Tap - Dot

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Anybody using any of these devices from Amazon?

Just curious if folks are finding them useful and/or entertaining?

In what ways are you using them?

bkantor

I have an Echo in my kitchen and Dots in most of my other rooms. Tremendously entertaining - I have several hooked to speakers and stream music all day from various services I subscribe to (Pandora, Spotify). We constantly ask for news, weather, jokes, maintain shopping lists, etc. The only trouble is that you get so used to requesting answers, music, etc, that when you are in the car or not home you have to remember not to do that! Definitely a big fan of this product!!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Just don't let your children mistakenly order Alexa to get them a playhouse or cookies! :)

n6hcm

Premium Subscriber
you can set up Alexa to require a PIN when making a purchase...

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
I use alexa all the time. I have all my Broadcastify feeds routed through the device. Its pretty cool.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
you can set up Alexa to require a PIN when making a purchase...

Yes, but the fact that it doesn't come preprogrammed with this activated means it's fairly certain to be remain un-set by the majority of new owners...

...who, after all, actually reads the friendly manuals? :lol:

bharvey2

We've got various iterations of the Amazon Echo as well as a Google Home. Currently the Echoes do a bit better in controlling devices such as lights, fans, etc. The Google Home has the edge on answering questions and playing music, Chrome Casting, etc. I just bought one for my dad who lives in an assisted living facility. Given his lack of mobility, it is pretty handy for him to be able to turn lights on and off via voice rather than getting up and risking a fall when there is no help available.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just bought one for my dad who lives in an assisted living facility. Given his lack of mobility, it is pretty handy for him to be able to turn lights on and off via voice rather than getting up and risking a fall when there is no help available.

I now have a number of the devices at my house and just recently I setup a couple of Echo Dot devices at my folks house and enabled the AT&T "text skill" (not sure if other carriers have that skill yet). If there is an emergency or a fall and they cant get to a phone, all they have to do is ask Alexa to text me... and say what to put in the text. The text goes out to my phone instantly.

Good peace of mind for all of us.

bharvey2

I now have a number of the devices at my house and just recently I setup a couple of Echo Dot devices at my folks house and enabled the AT&T "text skill" (not sure if other carriers have that skill yet). If there is an emergency or a fall and they cant get to a phone, all they have to do is ask Alexa to text me... and say what to put in the text. The text goes out to my phone instantly.

Good peace of mind for all of us.

I didn't know about that feature. Thanks for the heads up. Even though my dad is in an assisted living facility the texting thing would be great since he's not all that great with working the phone anymore.

bharvey2

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

That's the exact line I quote when the Echoes act up. Unfortunately, when my 20 something sons are around, I just get the "the old man's lost his marbles" look.

Status
Not open for further replies.