Amb to Hosp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamn03

You're not suppose to give out any sensitive info over the air. Age and sex, chief complaint, and a report w/ mechanism of injury or illness, injuries or illness found, current vitals, and field treatment performed is all the hospital needs to prepare for PT arrival. The sensitive stuff (demographics, ect...) are provided face to face. In my area my scanner can pick up this traffic, could also be why we're taught to maintain HIPPA privacy over the air.

mjbjr

What private information is transmitted? I bet its less than a normal traffic stop where name,birthday,license(Or SSN) are transmitted on nearly every stop.Personally,I don't care about hearing them.

IredellMon

What private information is transmitted? I bet its less than a normal traffic stop where name,birthday,license(Or SSN) are transmitted on nearly every stop.Personally,I don't care about hearing them.
Most people (and law makers and lawyers) consider their medical info more private than name, address, etc. SSN is not supposed to be broadcast BTW. But the ultimate answer.is one I heard a lot when I was a kid, " because they said so ". Site owners make the rules.
I know I sure don't want my medical info broadcast. I would hate to tell you how many people I have learned are suicidal by listening to the scanner.

exportdawg

RR isn't a healthcare provider, so HIPAA doesn't have anything to do with it. (It's still a good rule, though.)

Agree, but HIPAA does not apply anyway. Even if RR was a Health care Provider. The only time it would apply is if the EMS unit/s give the patients name and address. No EMS systems that I am aware of provide such identifying factors during a med report. IMO

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I agree that this isn't a HIPAA violation and EMS providers don't (or shouldn't) give patient identifying information over the radio. I have noticed that a couple of local small town newspapers that I look at online will report in an article stating "the 55 year old male had a broken leg per the radio report from the ambulance to the hospital". That bugs me. I guess more for lazy reporting then potential patient privacy issues.

fredva

Feed Provider
Agree, but HIPAA does not apply anyway. Even if RR was a Health care Provider. The only time it would apply is if the EMS unit/s give the patients name and address. No EMS systems that I am aware of provide such identifying factors during a med report. IMO

Probably not in the med report itself, but if you are listening to both the EMS dispatch channel and the ambulance to hospital channel, you can get a lot of that info between the two. The address is certainly going to be given and in some cases, the last name.

exportdawg

Probably not in the med report itself, but if you are listening to both the EMS dispatch channel and the ambulance to hospital channel, you can get a lot of that info between the two. The address is certainly going to be given and in some cases, the last name.

I see what you are saying, but even that is not a HIPAA violation. I noticed some agencies are going encrypted and citing HIPAA concerns (due to what you mentioned, address, etc) If that truly is a concern for Counties and Cities(HIPAA violation), then no other county/city units should be able to monitor the call unless they are assigned to it.

Just recently, the City of Jacksonville, FL used the HIPAA excuse for why they are encrypting JFRD main and tac Fire channels .

Some good information can be found in this article about the HIPAA law and radio communications
h t t p://psc.apcointl.org/2010/08/26/hipaa-radio-emd/

Last edited:

Tryton

Guess bottom line is.. RR Does not allow it. so if you really want to hear those transmissions, buy a scanner.

exportdawg

Guess bottom line is.. RR Does not allow it. so if you really want to hear those transmissions, buy a scanner.

Wurd....One last thing about HIPAA and Med Reports and will let it die.

"The Department of Health and Human Services states that the HIPAA privacy rule does require encryption of wireless or other emergency medical radio communications which can be intercepted by scanners".
Source : h t t p://butlersheriff.org/radio/users/guides/hospital-communications/hipaa/

Was going to post the HIPAA page number, but was too lazy to read and find it. :)

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Wurd....One last thing about HIPAA and Med Reports and will let it die.

"The Department of Health and Human Services states that the HIPAA privacy rule does require encryption of wireless or other emergency medical radio communications which can be intercepted by scanners".
Source : h t t p://butlersheriff.org/radio/users/guides/hospital-communications/hipaa/

Was going to post the HIPAA page number, but was too lazy to read and find it. :)

I don't have a problem with it being prohibited on feeds but there is no HIPAA requirement for encryption. I work for a very large medical-related software company and am familiar with it's requirements.

exportdawg

I don't have a problem with it being prohibited on feeds but there is no HIPAA requirement for encryption. I work for a very large medical-related software company and am familiar with it's requirements.

I don't either, I guess I just got off on the HIPAA kick. I just hate it that agencies use it for an excuse to encrypt when we all know it's BS.

D

DaveNF2G

Very simply, HIPAA does not apply to two-way radio communications. Period. Anything else some agency or their lawyers claim is pure BS.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I know in Ontario nothing that could ID the person is provided over the air other then the address when they goto the call. Even during patches to the hospital there is no info to ID the person is said ever. Heck they don't even provide the info the police when they ask for it. And I mean NEVER has I heard info given to ID the person in the ambulance.

I don't see an issue with hospital patches if no info is given but I have done a broadcast block anyways.

J-WeB

I hear all kinds of personal info over my scanner. Name, DOB, address, license number, license plate, SSN, etc. Just about everything. It does suck because it's there to be listened to, and you can go buy a scanner from the store and hear it. So why not allow it? If someone wants to steal information for profit you'd think they could afford a scanner, lol. I do understand not making it easily accessible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.