• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

AMBE+2 Simulation

GustavoFring

Hello Everyone,
Not sure if this is the correct place, mods please move or delete and let me know the correct location to post.

I work in Communications for a large, we'll say entertainment company. Our dispatch center handles Security, EMS, pretty much every department reaches there at some point. We're in the process of switching to a TRBO system from analog. With a go live date of about 12/1, we're assembling training materials for the dispatchers and field units now. I'd like to give real examples of the difference between analog audio, and digital. I was part of a P25 rollout when I was in the 911 world and remember all of us having a difficult time developing "an ear for it" some more than others.

Sure, there are a million examples online. But, I'd like to customize them for our location. Anyone know of a way to convert a file to sound close to AMBE+2 ? I have a decent amount of experience in Adobe Audition, but the only results I can find are TAL Vocoder. That gets somewhere near close, but no cigar. Short of obtaining the hardware early and recording examples that way, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
If you're in the process of switching, I assume you already have same radios. Can't you just record some transmissions between two radios? You're overthinking this.

GustavoFring

Thanks for your reply. No radios yet. I’d have to check what the timeframe is on delivery, but I’m not at work. I think we’re looking at November or so. I’d like to get the training assembled and started late September/early October.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You can buy a Vocoder USB Dongle from DVSI and use it to create your own. But I would look into ways to introduce impairments in the bit error . There may already be a way to do so.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Sure, there are a million examples online. But, I'd like to customize them for our location. Anyone know of a way to convert a file to sound close to AMBE+2 ? I have a decent amount of experience in Adobe Audition, but the only results I can find are TAL Vocoder. That gets somewhere near close, but no cigar. Short of obtaining the hardware early and recording examples that way, any ideas?

Pretty sure OP25 can encode DMR voice, so maybe look into that? Any thoughts @KA1RBI @boatbod . No idea how to do it though, never tried it. Either that, or just take real life samples recorded by other people on here, or captured with an SDR yourself?

P.S., How's the Los Pollos Hermano's doing, Gus?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
To the OP you ask an interesting question which may not have a simple answer. Two immediate ideas spring to mind:
1. Buy one cheap moto dmr handheld on ebay (make sure its freq/band/channel your are licensed for) and decode audio with SDRtrunk software and record
2. Buy 2 cheap handhelds and record the audio

You can always resell the radios again if your employer wants to recoup the funds. The 2 above suggestions are easy.
Harder would be poking around the guts of GNUradio and mucking about with plugins, such as the DSD plugin
to see if it does what you want. Odds are though, simply buying a cheap used radio as noted above will be much more cost/time
effective.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
I would add that it sounds like you work for a sizable entity. I bet in lieu of a purchase your radio vendor could lend you 2 radios
for a day for your demo purposes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would add that it sounds like you work for a sizable entity. I bet in lieu of a purchase your radio vendor could lend you 2 radios

^ this.

Make your vendor do this. They have resources.
Also, don't take the audio quality settings on the radio the way they deliver them if you are not happy with it. These modern radios have a lot of options that let them play with audio quality. I'm running a bunch of Kenwood radios on an NXDN system and Kenwood was super helpful in making sure we had the audio tweaked out just right.

RFI-EMI-GUY

GustavoFring

I didn’t even consider this. I’ll be reaching out Monday.

KG7PBS

Thanks for your reply. No radios yet. I’d have to check what the timeframe is on delivery, but I’m not at work. I think we’re looking at November or so. I’d like to get the training assembled and started late September/early October.
Hello here a YouTube video that should help you. In the video they have an example of analog audio versus digital audio and a high noise environment.
This video is older but does a really good job explaining and showing how the digital works better.