Ambiguous name on RID page

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Good morning W9BU and ka3jjz,

The following page's name seems to be ambiguous, in that it does not include the related TRS system's name: St Louis RIDs (UIDs)

(Formerly it was named: Missouri Statewide P25 RID-St Louis)

If the page is related to MOSWIN, then maybe its name should be similar to another existing page: MOSWIN-RID-1 for uniformity and clarity.

Without the customary Template:Trunking Infobox applied to it, I'm not sure what to name it.

If I am misinterpreting something, and you find everything to be correct, please accept my apologies.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

EDIT: P.S. Maybe this other page's name (Missouri Highway Patrol MOSWIN Unit IDs) should be adjusted for uniformity, also. so that all of the above are similarly named. -- Just a thought. Thanks.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In my opinion, most of these RID pages are a little messy. Mostly because there is a ton of data that doesn't seem to lend itself well to being finely sliced and diced.

What isn't clear to me is whether or not the referenced article is listing RIDs for just one system. If it is, then the title should be related to that system and there should be links in the article to that system. If it isn't, it should be broken up by system.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Sorry for the confusion. I am new at this wiki thing. I was trying to help clean up and clarify the RID/UID page for the St Louis system, Like I am trying to do for the new Missouri Patrol Page.

Again I am very sorry for the confusion.

Happy Scanning.

QDP2012

Sorry for the confusion. I am new at this wiki thing. I was trying to help clean up and clarify the RID/UID page for the St Louis system, Like I am trying to do for the new Missouri Patrol Page.

Again I am very sorry for the confusion.

Happy Scanning.

Thanks for helping to maintain the Wiki!

Generally, each Wiki page has a name that first indicates "Where" (like a County name or City name) and then might also include "What" like "ABC County (ST) Radio IDs".

Keeping the page names prefixed with either the County Name or the TRS-System Name, helps properly sort them in the respective "Category" pages, like the "Category:Missouri" page.

In my opinion, all RID/UID pages related to MOSWIN should have a page-name that starts with "MOSWIN: " followed by the specific page-name that makes sense, like one of these methods:
  • ("page 1, page 2" convention)
    "MOSWIN - RIDs 1" (meaning page 1),
    "MOSWIN - RIDs 2", etc., or

• (agency-name or location-name convention)
    "MOSWIN: Missouri State Patrol RIDs",
    "MOSWIN: St. Louis RIDs" or

• (numerical-ordered grouping)
    "MOSWIN: RIDs 100000-199999",
    "MOSWIN: RIDs 200000-299999", etc.
I prefer the last two methods, because they are more descriptive. In any of the above, similar grouping helps prevent the RID pages from becoming very long and tedious to maintain. Uniform page-name prefixes help group the pages together in lists, too.

Thanks again for updating the Wiki.

Hope this helps,

AK9R

Super Moderator
(numerical-ordered grouping)
"MOSWIN: RIDs 100000-199999",
"MOSWIN: RIDs 200000-299999", etc.
My thinking is that anyone looking for RIDs is going to come at it from the standpoint of having an unidentified RID and wanting to know what agency or user it is, not the other way around. So, my vote would be for the above-quoted approach.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I think I will keep the Highway Patrol as is and just split the down according or do you want me split them according ranges ?

AK9R

Super Moderator
If it's all MOSWIN, I think I'd rather see it split by RID range.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok I am attempting work on it. All the UID(RIDs) are from the MOSWIN system. I am breaking down UIDs (ie 0- 1000, etc)

Hope that Helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.