Ambulance FleetNet Zone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviator747

Is ambulance coming in very scratchy, basically a lot of tail end squelch, for anyone else? OPP is fine, Amb. is down right awful at times. I am on the Cornwall tower.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Is ambulance coming in very scratchy, basically a lot of tail end squelch, for anyone else? OPP is fine, Amb. is down right awful at times. I am on the Cornwall tower.
You could be getting stuff from the USA causing issues, the humidity and fog lately would cause it.

Noseybody

In Iroquois, they have had some very bad days. Sometimes just a few channels, sometimes the majority of them. All others on FleetNet are OK during these times.

Been listening for years, mostly on Cornwall FleetNet Site 2 Cornwall tower 142.260 MHz. Using a Radio Shack portable and GRE base/mobile.

P25 (OPP, MTC Enforcement, MNR etc.) is clear, analog FM (EMS, MTO Snowplows) was always scratchy and difficult to copy, regardless of which antenna I used, set top or external Diamond discone at 30 ft.

I recently added a Stridesburg MCA204MIL receive multi-coupler to the discone. What a difference! Signal strength is now full scale. Control channel decode rate is now 99% and analog transmissions from EMS are clear, both Ottawa CACC and ambulances.
Another mult-icoupler output feeds an AIS receiver (Marine Traffic Station 322 Cornwall East) with better coverage.

I can't explain why the discone is better through the multi-coupler than directly connected. Less intermod, perhaps? But definitely an improvement!

ATCTech

Given that in an ideal world a 'perfect' multi-coupler has no insertion loss and alternately provides zero gain between its input and any one output, adding electronics between antenna and receiver is more likely to introduce in-band intermod and noise, not reduce it. If it's potentially reducing intermod for you then at least part of the offending signal is being attenuated because it's outside of the passband of the multi-coupler.

Having said that, I have used John's products for around a decade now and have nothing but good things to say about them, in the proper application of course.

It's also one reason why a proper multi-coupler like this stands a far greater chance of being beneficial versus some $25 "TV amplifier" that's virtually a DC to daylight RF noise source.

Off my wee soapbox I go.

Aviator747

Yes, it seems to be scratchy at times once again. It's irritating when digital noise comes across analog channels at times as well. I assume its noise from the new system being deployed, but not sure.

ATCTech

Do you mean 'digital noise' when an analog t/g is active on your radio? FleetNet of course, has both analog and digital audio capability, but never on the same frequency at the same time. I very much doubt there's any activity on the replacement system on an currently assigned active frequency of the existing system on the same tower or even on the same area.

Aviator747

Yes, digital noise on an analog TG is in use. It walks over comm's as well at times. I'm using and SDR & UT2. Although I do hear the same digital noise on the VR's in the car on my FT7800 when scanning.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I have 5 Trunk-Recorders running all over eastern Ontario. EMS is analog and is always scratchy in some way, you need to just live with it, comes and goes depending on the time of day and weather. The digital noise is sometimes software isn't muting the channel and then you hear the control channel. It happens for me mainly on the Region 4 Common channel.

ATCTech

Sounds to me like you're experiencing interference from another source, unless the FleetNet tower is literally in your back yard and it's other assigned frequencies are swamping your radio at times. From any sort of distance from the tower(s) that simply won't happen under normal circumstances. Analog and digital transmissions occurring simultaneously on the same FleetNet frequency OR talk group simply isn't going to happen.

I should add that (as you know I'm sure) your local PD is also in the 142.xxx MHz area using P25 digital so that may in fact be a close enough source to be causing your grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.