• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ambulance handset

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerlineman

Does any one make a handset to use in the rear of an ambulance anymore? Our local ambulance company is currently using Moto GM300's with a Moto handset in the rear. They would like to switch to TK-8180's but need a handset. Tessco used to offer a dummy handset but it's not in their catalog anymore. Thanks

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have used handsets, hand mics (both on rear mounted radios and stretched to the back from the front radio) and David Clark Headsets. My personal preference is the headset, coupled with a PTT foot pedal mounted against the wall where my right knee is, as it allows true hands free operation for when you are busy doing other things. As far as the handset, what about buying the Motorola (I know, $$$) handset and reconfiguring the modular plug to work with your radio?

code3cowboy

As far as the handset, what about buying the Motorola (I know, $$$) handset and reconfiguring the modular plug to work with your radio?

He would have to see what the differences are in a motorola and kenwood mic, then see if he could drive the earpiece audio with one of the kenwood audio outputs.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We use telex headsets in the rear of all of our pierce type 3's. I don't remember ever having handsets?
n9zas

powerlineman

I could use the Motorola handset. I just didn't want to. The reason for the handset is because that's the way it's always been. They want to grab it, call the hospital and hang it up. They do have some dual head 890's but with cutbacks in their budget they want to save $$.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I have hooked up motorola handsets to kenwood radios. They do work, but here's the gotcha. Kenwood mics provide about 10 mV RMS from their dynamic mic elements to the radio. Motorola uses electret mic elements that provide about 120 mV RMS (with a 8 volt mic bias on the mic hi line). A little cross wiring will make them work, although they are LOUD! Nobody has complained though.

Status
Not open for further replies.