Ambulance Unit Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoyeom

Hi, I thought there was a wiki page with an explanation of what the unit numbers indicated. For example 2158: 2 indicates location or area and 1 indicated the number of beds/patients they could take and 58 was the specific unit. I can't seem to find it even on the MOH wiki page.

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
Hi, I thought there was a wiki page with an explanation of what the unit numbers indicated. For example 2158: 2 indicates location or area and 1 indicated the number of beds/patients they could take and 58 was the specific unit. I can't seem to find it even on the MOH wiki page.

gary123

I'm not super sure there is a pattern any more. Last time I tuned to MOH (FleetNet Zone1) I just heard a pile of 10xx numbers being dispatched out. I believe that 13xx are supervisory vehicles.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Yeah, I don't hear any 12xx numbers, all are single beds. The 13xx are still Supervisor or special type vehicles and 1st digit the zone. Other then Toronto EMS. They are different from the rest of Ontario.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hamilton used to use 2's for their 2nd number as in 2264 but I'm seeing more and more radios in newer actual ambulances.

For instance I'm seeing older radios in Hamilton EMS such as 2025. I don't think the 2nd 3rd and 4th number means anything anymore.

I don't monitor Peel EMS much but their 2nd number often is 4 or 5 now. As in 3529.

2Dis

For the record, info from a paramedic source is that there is no general requirement or designation for unit numbers. Services are allocated a block of numbers by MOH; based on their zone as some have already mentioned. How the services organize their units with those numbers is their own discretion.

I.e. York Paramedics:

30XX, 31XX, 32XX, 34XX are transport units. (No designation beyond this for single/dual beds or PCP/ACP truck)
33XX are rapid response units.
36XX are special response units.
37XX are supervisors.
3900 for the multi-patient unit.

But that's just how York Paramedics designate their numbers. You may or may not find similar patterns with other services. It just depends on how they roll.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
But that's just how York Paramedics designate their numbers. You may or may not find similar patterns with other services. It just depends on how they roll.

I think it's most likely CACC based rather than County or Regional. York and Simcoe County are both dispatched by Georgian CACC and the Simcoe County units use the same scheme.

sudsyjkh

The first number is the region, or in some cases CACC.
The second used to be 1 for a single stretcher bus, 2 for a double and 3 for PRUs in areas that have them, supervisors in those that don’t). 3 is the only consistent one across the province these days; outside Toronto of course.
There’s no real rime or reason when it comes to the last two digits.

PriorMike

I can comment a bit further on Ottawa; most ambulances are 41xx with a few 45xx and 49xx.

PRU's and Supervisors are a mix of 43xx and 47xx. Support vehicles (ie. Logistics, Rehab) are 43xx.

If the unit is something specific, there will be a prefix to the unit number on the radio.

I've yet to determine the prefix for supervisors.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
So aside from PRU's which generally are the 43xx's and perhaps the 47xx's as you say, what other prefixes might be heard over the air in order to ID the 47xx's?

I also have 42xx's and 44xx's logged for Zone 2 FleetNet.

I can comment a bit further on Ottawa; most ambulances are 41xx with a few 45xx and 49xx.

PRU's and Supervisors are a mix of 43xx and 47xx. Support vehicles (ie. Logistics, Rehab) are 43xx.

If the unit is something specific, there will be a prefix to the unit number on the radio.

I've yet to determine the prefix for supervisors.

Status
Not open for further replies.