American Electric Power (AEP) P25 WACN 92715

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All,

I've seen recent news reports that AEP may be migrating to a P25 system.

And today, I’m picking up a P25 control channel on 857.8125 which is licensed to AEP at a variety of sites.

WACN 92715, Sys ID 1FA.

The oddball WACN definitely points at Harris, and I know AEP has had a long-term love affair with GE/Harris. Plus, they could easily patch the EDACS system to the P25 system.

Something new to work on. . .

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I’m picking up the same system and WACN here in Columbus, OH on 857.8125 and Site 008. Frequency is licensed to AEP at a variety of sites.

WACN 92715, Sys ID 1FA.

The oddball WACN definitely points at Harris, and I know AEP has had a long-term love affair with GE/Harris. Plus, they could easily patch the EDACS system to the P25 system.

Makes sense that they would put a pilot site here; Columbus is the HQ city for AEP.

Something new to work on. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Are you getting a site number? Here in the Tulsa area we had a new P25 site go online with site number 9 I believe it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Are you getting a site number? Here in the Tulsa area we had a new P25 site go online with site number 9 I believe it was.

Site 8 (Unitrunker gives it as 008-008).

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Interesting. I wonder if South Central Power will move over to it. They currently use Marcs IP.

Why would they do that? South Central Power isn't an American Electric Power company. It's an electric co-op. I refuse to believe they'd be allowed on AEP's network :)

Mike

gtaman

Why would they do that? South Central Power isn't an American Electric Power company. It's an electric co-op. I refuse to believe they'd be allowed on AEP's network :)

Mike

For many years they used AEPs system. Their talkgroups are still in the database. Now they use MARCS as it’s cheaper and more reliable. If the new AEP is just as good as MARCS and offers a competitive rate. South Central may move back.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
For many years they used AEPs system. Their talkgroups are still in the database. Now they use MARCS as it’s cheaper and more reliable. If the new AEP is just as good as MARCS and offers a competitive rate. South Central may move back.

Hmmm, how do ya like that. I guess I was wrong, for the first (and last) time in 2017 :)

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Site 8

Doing a bit more research, and my guess is this active control channel (857.8125) is at the Etna site. I can receive the Columbus EDACS site from home full quieting, while the Etna site is slightly noisy (but still easily copyable).

The new P25 site is the same, copyable with a bit of noise.

Won't be able to pin it down for sure until I can get out and roam around a bit (which won't be until the temperature climbs to a more reasonable level).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Combine threads

All,

It appears AEP is building out a P25 network connecting both parts of the AEP system.

Unless there is massive objection, I'm going to combine this thread with the Ohio thread about the same system into a new thread in the "Multi-State Communications Networks" forum so we can all compare notes without leaping back and forth.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Combined thread

All,

It appears AEP is building out a P25 network connecting both parts of the AEP system.

Unless there is massive objection, I'm going to combine this thread with the Oklahoma thread about the same system into a new thread in the "Multi-State Communications Networks" forum so we can all compare notes without leaping back and forth.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Please use this thread to discuss this new multi-state network.

phask

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - I've been logging the "old" AEP sites in Zanesville and Philo (OH), I get a control channel, butt other than a couple data bursts, no other traffic t all.

Any suggestions on whwre/what to search?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FWIW - I've been logging the "old" AEP sites in Zanesville and Philo (OH), I get a control channel, butt other than a couple data bursts, no other traffic t all.

Any suggestions on whwre/what to search?

Pretty sure this system has a pretty long buildout schedule. You'd simply look at all frequencies currently licensed to existing sites in your area, and check to see if any of them are a P25 control channel now rather than an EDACS control channel.

You might find a new site, but I'm betting it'll be quite a while before we start seeing sites pop up in average locations. So far I think the only sights known are in Columbus and one down south.

Mike

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Pretty sure this system has a pretty long buildout schedule. You'd simply look at all frequencies currently licensed to existing sites in your area, and check to see if any of them are a P25 control channel now rather than an EDACS control channel.

You might find a new site, but I'm betting it'll be quite a while before we start seeing sites pop up in average locations. So far I think the only sights known are in Columbus and one down south.

Mike

If it were me, I'd look at the neighbors in Unitrunker. From there you can calculate the next site to roam through and those in the area can perform the same at the same time. It'll tell you what sites are out and where they are by looking at the licensing database.

The 008-008 (RFSS matches the site number) is a signature of Harris systems and frankly something I don't understand about their build out methodology. Unitrunker will also tell you the manufacturer's info under the site info tab (Manufacturer ID is part of the P25 OTA spec).

phask

Premium Subscriber
Might work, but I do not run any SDR. I do run Pro96Comm, but I do not think there is anyyAEP P25 yet here to even start with.

If it were me, I'd look at the neighbors in Unitrunker. From there you can calculate the next site to roam through and those in the area can perform the same at the same time. It'll tell you what sites are out and where they are by looking at the licensing database.

The 008-008 (RFSS matches the site number) is a signature of Harris systems and frankly something I don't understand about their build out methodology. Unitrunker will also tell you the manufacturer's info under the site info tab (Manufacturer ID is part of the P25 OTA spec).

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Might work, but I do not run any SDR. I do run Pro96Comm, but I do not think there is anyyAEP P25 yet here to even start with.

You could do it with Pro96Comm as well. The only real gotcha is you can only view immediate neighbors either way until someone local could verify the next group of neighbors and continue on expanding the database from there.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'd imagine that for the Ohio system it would likely expand out from Columbus area (where there is an existing P25 site). And I'm pretty sure Tom WA8PYR would be keeping an eye on that one. If he notices any neighbors on it I'm sure he'll make us all aware of it.

mike