American Electric Power (AEP) P25 WACN 92715

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

I just didn't feel like trying to separate out the boundaries. For instance, in Northern Panhandle of WV there are 2-3 sites that are part of 1F6 (Ohio) even though they are in West Virginia -- and that's because their intent is to serve Ohio, not WV. I'm not sure if the same kind of thing exists for border separations down south -- meaning I'm not sure if there will be some sites in some states that look like they should be part of one operating company but which may be intended to server another system ID across the border.

I will attempt to separate them out further though, thanks. I was going by the Outage Maps. It might be that the maps you provided will allow me to decide upon boundaries without going crosseyed.

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I will attempt to separate them out further though, thanks. I was going by the Outage Maps. It might be that the maps you provided will allow me to decide upon boundaries without going crosseyed.

That tiny little blob of SWEPCO in the Texas Panhandle doesn't make a whole lot of sense. . .

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Nice map though. There you go, Mike, that should be helpful updating your Google map.

Oy vei. I was hoping
It's real.
Right now they are on the same EDACS system as the rest of NW TX and SW OK.

Looks like I might need to look for another potential FRN. I notice that on my map I don't have any sites listed south of Bienville and DeSoto counties in Louisiana, but the SWEPCO map shows service territory in five or six counties below there. Doggonit -- more investigative work needed.

Mike

NikonFE2

I'm assuming AEP in Ohio (at least SE Ohio) has switched to the new P25 system. I've heard Athens County Fire request AEP on several occassions but heard nothing. I've been monitoring EDACS on the Trimble site for 2 months and have heard nothing. Silence. Now to find those new P25 talk groups.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm assuming AEP in Ohio (at least SE Ohio) has switched to the new P25 system. I've heard Athens County Fire request AEP on several occassions but heard nothing. I've been monitoring EDACS on the Trimble site for 2 months and have heard nothing. Silence. Now to find those new P25 talk groups.

Your best bet is to add the AEP P25 sites to your scanner and make sure you enable ID SEARCH (Uniden) or add a Group Wildcard (GRE / Whistler). You likely already know that. At any rate, that'll be the only way to hear the traffic if you don't know / have the talkgroups for your area specifically programmed in. I can say that up in Eastern Ohio, they have switched. In most places in East Ohio, there isn't even an EDACS control channel online anymore. When they first fire up a P25 site, from what I hear the radio techs say they enable "Hybrid" mode. Not sure what that is all about, but I'm sure it has something to do with supporting P25 / EDACS at the site at the same time. But if you aren't hearing any EDACS control channels, they may have turned down the EDACS sites down there after the P25 sites were online like they did here.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Some updated info for folks in WV and OK. AEP filed some updates with the FCC suggesting that they have either added freqs (the WV sites) or brought online a new site (Tulsa OK). If I were at any of the WV locations or OK, I'd be on the lookout for AEP P25 activity at these sites.

If you do find a new AEP site online at one of these locations, please gather all relevant info (WACN / SysID / Site ID / RAN / primary and alt CCs / peeer-neighbor list information (including CC frequencies of any peer-neighbors).

And you should reference the 2nd link for WV and the second link for OK to see exactly what frequencies are on the license.

Logan WV (Logan)

Harts WV (Lincoln)

Gilbert WV (Mingo)

Tulsa OK (Tulsa)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Have a 1F7 CC on 854.8625 (ACC's 856.3125 & 856.4125), RFSS 66, Site 66 receivable north of Greensboro, NC tonight. Not showing any neighbors and the only license in VA I see on this frequency is in Salem.

@BigLebowski Could you / would you periodically check this site for the existence of new site neighbors (and their associated CC freqs)? I have seen quite a number of FCC updates from Appalachian Power microwave licenses in VA, which is suggestive that they are moving ahead pretty quickly on getting some sites online in VA.

Thanks

Mike

HikerGuy

Premium Subscriber
@BigLebowski Could you / would you periodically check this site for the existence of new site neighbors (and their associated CC freqs)? I have seen quite a number of FCC updates from Appalachian Power microwave licenses in VA, which is suggestive that they are moving ahead pretty quickly on getting some sites online in VA.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I'm within line of sight of this particular site (Poor Mountain) and am not seeing any neighbors listed yet. I plan to monitor it on a religious basis for any activity.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mike,

I'm within line of sight of this particular site (Poor Mountain) and am not seeing any neighbors listed yet. I plan to monitor it on a religious basis for any activity.

@HikerGuy Thank you. The more people keeping an eye out, the better.

And for anyone reading this thread, if you can't pick up this particulr site, that doesn't mean that there isn't some other new Appalachian Power P25 site online in VA/WV. Anyone within the Appalachian Power footprint should try and check for any new WACN:92715, SYSID:1F7 P25 sites on 854-862 mhz.

Mike

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
@mtindor I have been periodically checking this one and searching 800mhz for new sites (I am in range of several) and haven't found anything new. The AEP radio shop is in Salem so I suspect that is why the site is online there.

HikerGuy

Premium Subscriber
Getting some affiliations with talkgroups 1701 and 4703 from the Bent Mountain site and a voice call on 4703. I've been monitoring with UniTrunker since yesterday evening.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Getting some affiliations with talkgroups 1701 and 4703 from the Bent Mountain site and a voice call on 4703. I've been monitoring with UniTrunker since yesterday evening.

No neighbors/peers yet? Those are probably radio service testing talkgroups.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
No adjacent sites showing as of this moment.

Ok. That's the way it was in St Clairsville Ohio for the longest time after the St Clairsvile site came online, despite the fact that neighboring sites were online and there was a lot of traffic on St Clairsville. I'm sure it'll eventually show peers. If you don't often check 854-862 mhz for new P25 CCs, you might want to do that. As it is possible that other sites are online around Bent that simply aren't being reflected in Bent's peer list at this time. Then again, there might not be anything online that would be a neighbor/peer of Bent.

Thanks for keeping an eye on things down that way!

Mike