American Red Cross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Has anyone ever heard any activity on 47.4200mhz? i know this is the nationwide frequency for the american red cross, but i have never heard anything on it ever, what kind of operations do they run?

W9NES

I have heard radio traffic on 47.420 For the Indianapolis Chapter of The Red Cross here in Indianapolis.There F-2 in all of there radios is 47.500.

ecps92

Altho much of the activity [daily] is via cell and business band two-way, the ARC Disaster channels [Fires etc] is conducted on 47.42 and 47.50 as well as some others in different regions. It's really a hit or miss on where/when it is used.

I have heard radio traffic on 47.420 For the Indianapolis Chapter of The Red Cross here in Indianapolis.There F-2 in all of there radios is 47.500.

66twr2009

Premium Subscriber
In the 6+ mos I've had them, I've heard nothing on 47.42 but once on 47.50 there was talk about pumping fuel and fixing something. I'm west central MD.

tipster67

These vreq's are use mostly in the EVR's (Emergency Response Vehicles). The ambulance looking vehicles. They are the one's that pass out food and snacks and clean-up kits during disasters. If the red cross was in your area doing mass care you would hear some activity. Or as in a case I was in, we had a convoy going north to a ice storm in upstate NY and the drivers would not shut up. Other than that, most chapters will just use a cell phone to contact drivers if need be. Hope this helps.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In some areas of the country,various chapters use 464.5500 simplex with a blanket license.
The last time I heard 47.420 used was in 1991 in peoria,ill. at Bradley Univ.
n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

47.42 is basically an "interop" frequency within the Red Cross. Any Emergency Response Vehicle is supposed to be able to communicate with any other ERV and any Chapter HQ on that frequency.

Some chapters still use it for primary ops, but as previously noted, there are a wide variety of local variations in day-to-day communication systems.

Michael-SATX

Just last month, a man walked into my Radio Shack and I couldn't help notice his official Red Cross ID
Badges. Sooo, I just had to ask him about frequencies .... imagine that ;) I asked about 47.42 Mhz still being a current frequency and he said most definitely yes. This was in San Antonio, Texas etc.

scannerdweeb

Most of the comms for the red cross ops are done through the amateur radio operators in the area for shelter, canteen, and scene as well as damage assessment. SD

Here in Oklahoma during the ice storm that knocked out all the power, the Red Cross had set up emergency shelters and I had 47.4200 in my scanner and never heard anything(I was about 4 miles from a shelter)

Status
Not open for further replies.