Ames and Des Moines police codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich83

Does anyone have a list of codes Ames and Des Moines use or if there both the same and the codes Im after are

Code 1, 2,3 etc for example ... can you proceed to such and such address code three

Hope that makes sense

Rich

SCPD

QRT
Does anyone have a list of codes Ames and Des Moines use or if there both the same and the codes Im after are

Code 1, 2,3 etc for example ... can you proceed to such and such address code three

Hope that makes sense

Rich

Typically, though not always, code 3 indicates respond with lights and siren.

The agency I used to work for had the following for the codes you've asked about:

Code 1 Routine response (non-emergency)
Code 2 Rush (lights only --seldom used)
Code 3 Emergency response (lights and sirens)

Your mileage may vary as codes sometimes change from one region to another.

dubuque1

Premium Subscriber
I know in Dubuque the Code 1 would be Lights and siren, Code 2 would be rapid response but no siren and three would be regular response within a reasonable amount of time, if memory serves me right code 4 was within 4 hours and code 5 was by end of shift, but that was in the 80's, and they may have changed. However listening to calls Code 1-3 sounds the same, they also refer to code 200 which is either drugs or marijuana, but all the above applies to Dubuque, or did. You should be able to tell from the type of call a general idea what they are.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Don't get confused between DMPD and PCSO codes and signals though -- they aren't the same. "Code 4" for PCSO means suspect in custody, but "Signal 4" for DMPD means it's chow time. Code 6 for PCSO means it's all good.

Signal 4 is really the only non-10-code that I ever hear DMPD using. DMPD uses mostly 10-codes, and PCSO uses some really obscure codes where you need to take the context and tone of voice into consideration when guessing.

This site -- Dispatches From Iowa » Common 10-Codes -- has a pretty accurate list of 10-codes that I've found, but 10-codes are starting to get phased out everywhere, including Des Moines.

Rich83

Thats interesting thanks for that, are PCSO's the same as what Im thinking of and are Police Community Support Officers, or something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.