Amite louisiana 700 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Thus another huge reason for consolidation of dispatch centers. It saves huge bucks. One of the reasons it is actually State Law here in IN that a county may only have 2 Public Safety Dispatching Centers. Marion was one of the first to do it with the creation of IMPD when IPD and MCSO merged. Shortly thereafter, several smaller LEA's cut out their own dispatching and let IMPD do it, then Beech Grove did it. Next here is supposed to be Lawrence PD so the County will fit the law. That will leave us with IMPD, and Speedway PD... Most of the FD's are already dispatched by IFEMS. In that the situation is reversed, with Speedway FD part of the IFEMS system, and Lawrence FD still having its own dispatch as well as IFEMS. Will be interesting to see how it all finally works out over the next year.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Some of these posts are funny. I can't believe a police department does not wish to be transparent. People have brought scanners to the station before and the Assistant Chief of my department gives them to me to program (mostly because no one else has a clue, but). We have a few encrypted channels for sensitive info, but dispatch and most normal operations are in the clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

Some of these posts are funny. I can't believe a police department does not wish to be transparent. People have brought scanners to the station before and the Assistant Chief of my department gives them to me to program (mostly because no one else has a clue, but). We have a few encrypted channels for sensitive info, but dispatch and most normal operations are in the clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes a small agency, and this was one such, will tend to take itself 'way too seriously and really overestimate its importance in the great scheme of things. Here they send newly-elected Sheriffs to a school put on by the Indiana Sheriff's Association, where they indoctrinate them in how they're the only constitutionally-authorized law enforcement officer in their respective county. Among other things, some of it I would deem a bit questionable. Some of them deal with this well, others tend to get the big head about it and I believe that was a factor at the time. I know it was a factor with the previous couple of Sheriffs, when I was still an RDS there. I recall one jumping me for doing the same thing; a person new to the area walked in one night when I was working dispatch. A scanner enthusiast, he just wanted the local frequencies, which I was happy to give him. The Sheriff went through the roof. We were still using the old statewide Plan A system (along with half the rest of the local cops in the state) and it was general knowledge, not to mention being, as has been mentioned in this thread, public knowledge via the FCC.

Nice thing about being a lower-form-of-life Reserve, your livelihood doesn't depend on staying in good graces with the top cop. "You're going to dock my pay, right? What pay?" I could never have done it as a career, not in a department where the boss is also a politician.:twisted:

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Well I'm a Sergeant and handle the radio stuff so of course I'm who they come to. I had to quickly correct some people who thought going digital P25 was being encrypted. I had to explain the difference and that while some channels should be encrypted, day to day should be clear for transparency and even having extra eyes looking for what we BOLO.

DJ11DLN

Well I'm a Sergeant and handle the radio stuff so of course I'm who they come to. I had to quickly correct some people who thought going digital P25 was being encrypted. I had to explain the difference and that while some channels should be encrypted, day to day should be clear for transparency and even having extra eyes looking for what we BOLO.

Agree 100%. Some traffic just needs to be private, and not only because the wrong people might hear it; there is some stuff that really shouldn't be getting heard by everyone. And cell phones, I've learned, will find a no-service place right when you need them the most. But yes, day-to-day routine needs to remain clear, for the reasons you state. I recall several incidents where getting calls after the observe-for dispatch went out did result in an arrest, recovery of stolen vehicle or property, or something else we'd have missed because everybody was out of position.

Nosy people with scanners (like us!) can be a fine force-multiplier, especially for a small department of the sort I used to be involved in. When you have only a couple or at most three officers (counting ISP Troopers, if and when) covering a couple hundred miles of mostly rural territory, having those extra eyes can be a huge help. It's too bad more agencies don't realize this fact in this day and age. :(

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
OK lets get back on topic. It was basically "Why don't I hear my local LEA?" Which we have basically answered now as for Amite PD in Amite, Tangipahoah Parish, LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.