AMLR Anchorage sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsh1885

I live in Orlando, Florida, but go to Anchorage frequently because I have a close friend who lives there now. I was planning on taking my Pro-96 on my next trip. I see there are 2 sites in Anchorage for monitoring the AMLR system is there any difference in what Talkgroups you would hear? Thanks!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I live in Orlando, Florida, but go to Anchorage frequently because I have a close friend who lives there now. I was planning on taking my Pro-96 on my next trip. I see there are 2 sites in Anchorage for monitoring the AMLR system is there any difference in what Talkgroups you would hear? Thanks!

Like most Smartzone trunked systems, there's no telling for sure what you'll hear on any specific site since it's mostly dependent on who's affiliated to any particular site. That said, there's always going to be some talkgroups that will be predominant or always affiliated to the same sites since they might be stationary or have a narrow area they "roam" about. On any given site you'll have a mix of Military, Public Safety and local government talkgroups. Sorry for the convoluted reply but there's no straight answer to your question

Also, you might be able to pick up more than those 2 sites, so the best thing will be to program all the sites you can receive while there and let the radio scan them all. From there you can lockout the talkgroups you're not interested in and keep on scanning.

lsh1885

Thanks!

I see this a VHF system, this will be a first for me as everything down here is 800 MHZ. I don't how well my Pro-96 will do with VHF trunking, but I guess I will find out the next time I go there.

akscanner

I moved from Anchorage and don't spend much time there anymore, but I do recommend working to lock out the talkgroups that you do not want. For example, I have no interest in the military talkgroups but that seems to be all I hear in Anchorage unless I lock them out. It seems Elmendorf and Ft. Rich always have their radios going. :)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I see this a VHF system, this will be a first for me as everything down here is 800 MHZ. I don't how well my Pro-96 will do with VHF trunking, but I guess I will find out the next time I go there.

Well, this system is "tri-band", so to speak. It's predominantly VHF but it also has some 800MHz sites and within a year or two, it'll have 700MHz sites in the Anchorage area, which will also be known as AWARN, for the separate yet interoperable/intertwined system or "nodes" that interacts as one with the statewide ALMR in that area.

As far as the Pro-96, you'll need software in order to program the extended (6) Tables needed and outlined in the database for the system.

lsh1885

Yes, I already have the win96 program. I wasn't sure about the extended tables though. I have read posts that said I do need it and some that have said the Pro-96 should track the system fine without it. Thanks for the clarification.

Linn

Last night from my midtown Anchorage hotel I heard the following ALMR sites using a BC-396 and its rubber duckie:

Site 135 N. Anchorage
Site 102 Anchorage
Site 129 Elmendorf AFB
Site 104 Anchorage Airport
Site 130 Rabbit Creek
Site 147 Mt. Susitna
Site 110 Eagle River

Site"s 102, 135 and 129 have been the busiest.

Last edited:

Linn

Glad I could help. I am up here for a couple more days. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will see what I can do.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
thats good to know thanks!!

According to the radio reference database site 103 is in Juneau?

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Linn, can you confirm that you're receiving a site reporting " 103 " as the site ID in Anchorage?

Maybe the database is wrong and it can be corrected with updated info.

Linn

Sorry guys I didn't catch my typo, it is site 102 Anchorage. So my post should have read:

Site 135 N. Anchorage
Site 102 Anchorage
Site 129 Elmendorf AFB
Site 104 Anchorage Airport
Site 130 Rabbit Creek
Site 147 Mt. Susitna
Site 110 Eagle River

Site"s 102, 135 and 129 have been the busiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.