• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Amp cooling fan idea. opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THETINMAN

I installed my linear amp in a compartment in my trunk (on the left in the picture)
4c4fb57a-f9e0-4062-912e-4d96622e462c_568x426r0.jpg

Now that it's summer, I'm a bit concerned about heat building up in the compartment. My trunk stays relatively cool, but the compartment is small.
I grabbed a small DC cooling fan from a small powersource on a CPU and thought it would work well. I'm planning to install it as shown below (minus the metal bracket).
d1506807-2e7f-40f1-9c69-5fe1e22b99f6_568x426r0.jpg

I'm going to try to leave the fabric first, and see if the air will flow through it , maybe with some small holes, slits if needed.
Just looking for suggestions and opinions if anyone has some!
Thanks in advance

WouffHong

Just a thought....

I installed my linear amp in a compartment in my trunk (on the left in the picture)
Now that it's summer, I'm a bit concerned about heat building up in the compartment. My trunk stays relatively cool, but the compartment is small.
I grabbed a small DC cooling fan from a small powersource on a CPU and thought it would work well. I'm planning to install it as shown below (minus the metal bracket).

I'm going to try to leave the fabric first, and see if the air will flow through it , maybe with some small holes, slits if needed.
Just looking for suggestions and opinions if anyone has some!
Thanks in advance

Why work SO hard to do something SO illegal? - Those so-called Linears (and they rarely are so) splatter and generate harmonics that interfere with LEGAL services.

No offense intended, but why not "go legal" and get your Ham license - You don't even have to learn the Code any longer. :roll: :(

Da Wouff

THETINMAN

Why work SO hard to do something SO illegal? - Those so-called Linears (and they rarely are so) splatter and generate harmonics that interfere with LEGAL services.
No offense intended, but why not "go legal" and get your Ham license - You don't even have to learn the Code any longer.
Da Wouff

The amp is not mounted in the trunk compartment to hide it, or because of legality issues. I "work SO hard" because I take pride in my work and install.
HAM license or not, I wouldn't put all my equipment in the open to prove I'm not hiding anything or show off what is in my car.

WouffHong

Pride in Law-Breaking with a neat installation???

The amp is not mounted in the trunk compartment to hide it, or because of legality issues. I "work SO hard" because I take pride in my work and install.
HAM license or not, I wouldn't put all my equipment in the open to prove I'm not hiding anything or show off what is in my car.

You miss the point - Hiding or securing equipment, tools, firearms (not in NY) etc. is a good idea - My ham rig is remoted.

The point is, and was, why BE an illegal, splattering, CB bootlegger, which negates pride in this case as you are willingly breaking a federal law. Hiding a crime does not make it something to be "proud" of, technically or YOU as a citizen who probably obeys most laws otherwise, right?
:roll:
DW

THETINMAN

I agree with you 100% that "Hiding a crime does not make it something to be proud of" which is not why I am proud of my INSTALL.
I can appreciate your view point, as you are a HAM operator.
I was hoping to work toward my HAM license about 2 years ago, and found that the HAM operators I tried receiving help from, to be arrogent and intentionally unhelpful. Now that the license will be beneficial to me at work, I have begun my research again. I do understand this will have nothing to do with a linear CB amp, but find it interesting none the less.
Mods: feel free to lock this thread

Murstech

I think the fan will work out fine. Those little fans are a godsend. They come in all shapes and sizes.

THETINMAN

They come in all shapes and sizes.

I found three while helping clean out the in-laws basement, this one is the middle size, and seems just right for the application. I'm going to have it work off the same switch as the *contents of the compartment*
This should make a fun after work project that doesn't take too long!

n1das

I think the fan will work out fine. Those little fans are a godsend. They come in all shapes and sizes.

I recommend using a BALL BEARING fan for long life instead of a SLEEVE bearing fan. The cheap sleeve bearing fans are typical of what you find in most PC cases and power supply.

Ball bearing fans can me mounted and operated in any orientation without having any effect on bearing life. Sleeve bearing fans OTOH must only be mounted and operated vertically like they normally are inside a PC. If mounted horizontally or at any angle other than vertical, the bearing(s) can wear prematurely due to lubrication settling to one end.

If it doesn't say on the label, you can tell if the fan is a ball or sleeve bearing type by feeling the "end play" the rotor has on the shaft. A ball bearing fan will have a spring preload in one direction and you can definitely feel it when you push on the rotor. A sleeve bearing fan OTOH will only have the pull of the permanent magnet ring in the rotor when you pull or push on the rotor.

Good luck.

Last edited:

WouffHong

I agree with you 100% that "Hiding a crime does not make it something to be proud of" which is not why I am proud of my INSTALL.
I can appreciate your view point, as you are a HAM operator.
I was hoping to work toward my HAM license about 2 years ago, and found that the HAM operators I tried receiving help from, to be arrogent and intentionally unhelpful. Now that the license will be beneficial to me at work, I have begun my research again. I do understand this will have nothing to do with a linear CB amp, but find it interesting none the less.
Mods: feel free to lock this thread
I'm gad you took my concerns as non-chastizement. I ran a 2-way radio AND CB shop in FL back in the heyday of CB - the 70's and 80's - and saw some pretty bad abuses and total disregard for interference with other services, let alone fellow CB'ers who just wanted to communicate, not talk to South America. ;-) -- You have shown some pretty sensible approaches to your project, despite my disdain for "linears" ;-) -- As a Ham since 1952, I apologize for my fellow hams showing arrogance toward potential members of our fraternity and urge you to not give up on the concept. 80% or more are good, helpful "elmers" who will help you learn the ropes. the other 20% who step on others, splatter across the band and generally are impolite jerks, most of us are ashamed of.
Take care and 73..

Wouff

http://wouffhong.org

K

kb0nly

Can you mount the amp 'upside down' so the heat sinks are facing up? That would help as well.

X2... Heat rises, so putting the heatsink fins down towards the floor is counterproductive in making it as cool as possible.

(Yeah 11m amps are illegal, but as long as your not causing me trouble i dont give a damn anymore, the whole 11m band is a wasteland these days.)

k9rzz

You never know, he may get the bug, get a ham license, and set the DXing world on fire.

Just curious ... how much power does that give you?

You don't even need a fan..Cut out the side of your vehicle to match the amp and mount it with the cooling fins outside so the airstream will keep it cool; Breaker 19.

JayMojave

Hello The Tin Man:

Yes a fan will work really great! I use one on my linear amplifier, and it keeps it cool when operating which will keep the expensive transistors from getting too hot. The Fan is mounter directly over the heat sink.

Jay in the Mojave

THETINMAN

1-I'm gad you took my concerns as non-chastizement.
2-total disregard for interference with other services, let alone fellow CB'ers who just wanted to communicate
3-You have shown some pretty sensible approaches to your project, despite my disdain for "linears" ;-) --
4-I apologize for my fellow hams showing arrogance toward potential members of our fraternity and urge you to not give up on the concept. 80% or more are good, helpful "elmers" who will help you learn the ropes. the other 20% who step on others, splatter across the band and generally are impolite jerks, most of us are ashamed of.http://wouffhong.org

1-i try to accept counsel relatively humbly, I apologize if i was initially snippy though.
2-i do try not to be disrespectful or impolite on the air, I really mostly listen and give traffic and trooper updates if anything, but i understand the principle
3-thanks for the compliment! I try to think things out, and hopefully will have a nice HAM setup eventually
4-I'm super excited to talk about my setups, and to help others clean up installs, so I was surprised how the operators I spoke to were so standoffish.

You never know, he may get the bug, get a ham license, and set the DXing world on fire.

Hopefully soon- I'm sure i'll be a HAM freak- I love this kind of stuff. And then I'll try to set things right with you all!

Heat rises, so putting the heatsink fins down towards the floor is counterproductive in making it as cool as possible.

that was my first thought, but its actually such a perfect fit that it only fits in the one direction. I'd still need something (other than cutting a hole in the side of the car) to draw the hot air out.

thanks for the feedback guys (even the negative)
to the operators: the pre-amp, amplifying the reception, that is legal, right?

K

kb0nly

Preamp is perfectly legal, but its burden of proof to show thats all you were using.. You can get preamps that install inside the CB to enhance reception without having to have an amp inline, just in case your wondering...

Around where i live CB is a wasteland of high power users, seems like every mobile install has at least a 50w-100w amp in it.

THETINMAN

You can get preamps that install inside the CB to enhance reception without having to have an amp inline...
Around where i live CB is a wasteland of high power users, seems like every mobile install has at least a 50w-100w amp in it.

I'll have to look into that preamp.
its a similar situation here, and I've found that if you're a "barefoot" you arent even acknowledged. I'm not much of a talker, but I cant even get a radio check. I thought my cb wasnt even working until I tested it.

JayMojave

Hello The Tin Man:

The Liner Amplifier will significantly increase your transmit range. The small 100 to 250 watt linear amplifiers work well not having to involved installation.

The Pre-Amps in the amplifiers some times will help and some times not help the recived signal. These receive pre amps are not designed or constructed for low noise. But every once in a while they do help out. I beleve its more important to have a radio with a good noise blanker that a pre amp.

Jay in the Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0nly
You can get preamps that install inside the CB to enhance reception without having to have an amp inline...

I'll have to look into that preamp.
its a similar situation here, and I've found that if you're a "barefoot" you arent even acknowledged. I'm not much of a talker, but I cant even get a radio check. I thought my cb wasnt even working until I tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.