• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Amp cooling fan idea. opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_gain

I've found those little fans are great for cooling most electronics. You just can't believe how effective they really are. Nice looking installation. However, the best way to cool most cb amps is to throw them in the river. Keep thinking about that ham stuff, the possabilities are endless. Unlike cb, when one band is dead another is alive, 73.

THETINMAN

I've found those little fans are great for cooling most electronics. You just can't believe how effective they really are. Nice looking installation. However, the best way to cool most cb amps is to throw them in the river. Keep thinking about that ham stuff, the possabilities are endless. Unlike cb, when one band is dead another is alive, 73.

It is a great little fan, I installed it the other day, and it was super easy to hide the wires.. its like it was made for it:
b700b71f-02ef-4f88-922d-9eac2ceaa5ee_568x426r0.jpg

I'm working a crazy rotating 12 hour shift now, but I'm really going to try at getting my HAM license as soon as I pass my test at work. in the mean time, I'll TRY to ride around with only the pre amp on, but I'll be honest, long trips are going to be the hard part to "quit."

Thanks again to everyone who:
1. have given me some motivation/encouragement to get my HAM license
2. have complimented my setups :)

THETINMAN

so I no longer have the amp. unfortunately, not how I wanted to get rid of it...
:(
214a5fa9-6036-4494-b2dc-8b4071912f9a_528x400r0.jpg

yes, thats my car in the middle of the picture. at the bottom of a pond.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Cooling fans are rated in cubic feet per minute of flow CFM. Your set up looks totally incorrect for proper cooling. Heat always flows upward. The heat sink should always be on top if you lay it down on something. The heat generating semiconductors are mounted directly on the inside of the heat sink. When you keep the heat sink facing downward your unit is trapping heat in the fins and the heat is radiating up through the body of the unit. It’s like have a hot plate under your unit! Heat sink faces up. Or out when mounted sideways. Only down when mounted under the dash. Heat sink must always face out. Cheap wires uses PVC coating , A 12 Volt break down can cause a car fire. – Keep them away from the heat sink area. If you can’t use Teflon coated wires. When the base plate is properly mounted it too becomes an effective heat sink so it can be mounted under a dash or side wall.
Once you put a heat generating device inside a closed compartment you need two ports for cooling. One entrance and one exit. They need to be physically properly placed to allow convection cooling. Entrance low exit high.
The Cooling heat sink on the unit needs to be facing upward. For optimum cooling You need two fans. with vent holes the size of the fan opening with protective grills some are already installed on the fan. These grills are removable and can be mounted on either side of the fan. The bottom fan should be near the bottom blowing into the compartment over the heat sink fins. The other fan needs to be at the very top blowing air out of the compartment. The flow is in the direction where rising heat will exit. One Fan may not cut it during continuous use when it’s 98 degrees out.. If you only have one fan use it at the bottom and vent the top with a larger vent across the top for heat exit. Two Cooling fans will be 1.7 times more effective than one. One cooling fan is 3 times more effective than just convection cooling when it is warm out. Convection cooling is very effective when the surrounding air is cool.

Blowing air through material is much too restrictive. That material in the car is not vent material.
Heat destroys – Keeping cool protects you investment. Cool running semiconductors last 20 years easy.

THETINMAN

Your set up looks totally incorrect for proper cooling...... Cool running semiconductors last 20 years easy.

this is about what I read of your post. DID YOU READ MY LAST POST??
my car was sitting on the bottom of a lake this morning. I'll be sure to review your last post if I ever get another AMP, which I'm not planning on. If i do buy something that will require proper cooling techniques, I'll let you know- in the meantime, I unintentionally followed Mike_gain's advice:

However, the best way to cool most cb amps is to throw them in the river. Keep thinking about that ham stuff, the possabilities are endless. Unlike cb, when one band is dead another is alive, 73.

Murstech

I dont know how your car ended up there but if you get the amp back and dry it out theres a good chance it will work again. Maybe even the radios will work. I dont have much hope for the car itself.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"DID YOU READ MY LAST POST??"
Apparently not, now we're talking water cooling the amp.
"I unintentionally followed Mike_gain's advice:"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain
However, the best way to cool most cb amps is to throw them in the river.
AHEM! "Unintentionally" my left foot, the Mythbusters don't have that disclaimer for nothing and you ignored the part "we're professional idiots".

Let the wreckers have the car and its contents, the whole mess is soggy toast. When you get a new car get some ham gear and a license to go with it, we do nee no steenkin' amps. Now don't sink this one, in the Bond films it was special effects and I don't remember just how many General Lees the Dukes wrecked, it was all in the editing.

Thanks for the lulz the Tin-Man in the Tin-Can, sorry 'bout the can though.

kb2vxa

Banned
Look on the bright side of life* Bob, an HF rig puts out 100W across the board and check out the specs on my IC-706Mk2G while you're at it. Like I said, we don' nee' no steenkin' amps.

* The Bright Side Of Life, Monty Python.

THETINMAN

Well, I'm ready to get tortured I suppose:
After working a 12 hour midnight shift, and getting a full tank of 93 gas, a deer jumped out in front of me and as a knee jerk reaction, I swerved...

Now before anyone says it: I know, hit the deer, don't swerve, I know. I was tired and just reacted.

FD going fishing for Audi:
8fd3413f-e726-4680-b6ab-f9f5cda1d5f8_528x400r0.jpg

3b790422-7ea2-4242-8a4d-d2cd68d61734_568x426r0.jpg

Being towed in:
0ef17c4c-e88f-47d7-85d5-3174bb645d03_528x400r0.jpg

9d0abe29-e15e-49af-b81d-e2674a3ea3a0_528x400r0.jpg

Pulled out:
b0560ca8-da91-414a-884a-54c5230c9bad_568x426r0.jpg

8bbbaf3a-cfac-4cd3-b5d3-f1914550baab_568x426r0.jpg

painful.

DX949

Banned
After working a 12 hour midnight shift, and getting a full tank of 93 gas, a deer jumped out in front of me and as a knee jerk reaction, I swerved...

Nobody got Hurt,thats the main thing. Thanks for sharing :0)

zz0468

QRT
Banned

Now before anyone says it: I know, hit the deer, don't swerve, I know. I was tired and just reacted.

Google "deer through the windshield" and look at the pictures that come up.

You may well have just saved your own life by heading for the water.

kb2vxa

Banned
Yup; hit the deer, smash the car, kill Bambi, injure/kill yourself.
Swerve into the water, drown the car, swim to shore wet but safe.

"Well, I'm ready to get tortured I suppose:"
You got tortured when you realized your car was underwater, feel better now?

Oh and I just remembered somebody would have one L of a mess to clean up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.