• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Amplified charger base issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just received my GS Charger Amplifier from Ray's Pagers. Model number GS999CA-SXXXEN1X00UNI

First, is it supposed to come with a manual? Mine didn't. No big deal; I downloaded a copy from the net. The only issue is that the icons on the top front of my charger do not exactly match what is shown in the manual; they're a little different and in a different order. Charger must have had a slight redesign at some point.

But the main issue is that on some systems I monitor, inserting the pager into the charger base causes a loss of all signal strength bars and an "Out of Range" message after about 10 seconds. Once the pager is removed from the charger base, normal reception resumes. This occurs most often when I use an external 800MHz base antenna connected to the rear BNC connector on the charger. However if I connect the same external antenna to the pager's antenna jack (carefully!) using an SMA to BNC adapter, the reception is fine.

Also, in some cases, on some systems, the supplied wire whip antenna outperforms my external 800 MHz antenna when connected to the rear BNC antenna jack on the charger, but only on some of the systems I monitor. Some work better with an external antenna.

As a typical scenario:

Miami-Dade County 800 MHz trunked system
Inside my house with stock antenna on the pager: No reception
Inside my house with external mounted 800MHz band antenna connected to the pager's antenna jack: Reception with 2 to 3 signal bars
Inside my house with external mounted 800MHz band antenna connected to the rear BNC jack on the charger base: 3-4 bars for 10 seconds, then no bars and "Out of Range" message.

Anybody have a similar issue? Thoughts? Could it be a signal overload issue?

hummin24

Feed Provider
G5 amp base uses external antenna for vhf and pager knobby antenna for 800. The amp base sucks. Dont expect much.

bberns22

Mine came with no instructions. Inserting the G5 into the base has no effect on signal as indicated by the RSSI meter in the menu. When using a dedicated 800mhz whip antenna on back of the base unit I gain 10dB of signal. Audio quality of the base is generally poor. I have an Icom SP23 speaker, with high pass filter engaged, connected to the speaker output of the base. This offers a tremendous improvement in audio quality...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
G5 amp base uses external antenna for vhf and pager knobby antenna for 800. The amp base sucks. Dont expect much.
Not true. The amplified charging base does use the external antenna connector on the charging base for both bands.
I live inside steel lined exterior walls with not much signal. The amplified charging base is the only way I can use a G4 or G5 pager.
This has been confirmed by Unication reps here in this forum if you search the threads.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses. I, too, am finding that I am not too impressed by the performance of the amplified charger.

In some cases it seems as though inserting the pager in the charger causes a reduction in signal strength.

The most puzzling aspect is why, when I connect an 800 MHz external yagi antenna to the pager using an antenna adapter, I get reception with 2 to 3 bars, but when I connect the same yagi antenna to the charger base and insert the pager in the charger, I loose all signal and get an "Out of range" indication. This defeats the purpose of the charger, for me.

bberns22

Thanks for the responses. I, too, am finding that I am not too impressed by the performance of the amplified charger.

In some cases it seems as though inserting the pager in the charger causes a reduction in signal strength.

The most puzzling aspect is why, when I connect an 800 MHz external yagi antenna to the pager using an antenna adapter, I get reception with 2 to 3 bars, but when I connect the same yagi antenna to the charger base and insert the pager in the charger, I loose all signal and get an "Out of range" indication. This defeats the purpose of the charger, for me.
How does the antenna perform when connected to a different radio -,monitoring the same system?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
My G5 is the only receiver that I own that will receive this particular system from within my house (Miami-Dade County P25). None of my other scanners will receive this system with the yagi or any other antenna. The yagi antenna does work on the G5 if it's connected directly to the pager.

Status
Not open for further replies.