Amplifiers for HTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen amplifiers for HTs that can be used in a vehicle. I am wondering if there is/are amplifiers that can be used with AC power; reduced to 12V of course; or with "flashlight" batteries for more "portable" use?

I have searched on the internet but have only come across the 12V vehicle kind.

Thanks for any info!

Mike
KF5LFT

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I have seen amplifiers for HTs that can be used in a vehicle. I am wondering if there is/are amplifiers that can be used with AC power; reduced to 12V of course; or with "flashlight" batteries for more "portable" use?

Thanks for any info!

Mike
KF5LFT

The 12v 'mobile' type amplifiers can be used at home with a 12 volt power supply. The current requirements are too high for 'flashlight battery' operation, at least for very long. Portable use usually involves a car battery.

Well, not really. But I may end up having to get one of these. I was actually looking for something more portable to connect between the radio and the rubber duck antenna; like a pre-amplifier for a scanner; for more portable use. I figured there was no such thing, but thought I would ask anyway.

Yeah, I thought about the 12V power supply set up and may end of doing that; for home use anyway. I just didnt want to be tied to one room or area of the house since all I have right now is an HT. When I first go the radio I figured I could walk around the house and outside without missing a beat. Guess these little radios are not as powerful as I first thought!

Thanks for the information!!!

Mike
KF5LFT

Diamond RH77CA

The reports I get vary between good reception and very noisy. Its always hit or miss; never a constant thing.

RadioDaze

Well, it's a pretty good antenna, so that rules out that theory.

Even with an amp, it's probably still going to be hit and miss, with maybe just a little more "hit".

Too bad there isn't a rechargeable wireless controller for a base/mobile radio connected to an outside antenna. It would act like a cordless phone, let you change freqs, etc. There's your million-dollar idea, developers! Get on it, and send me a royalty check. Bet you lunch that one of the Big Three are already working on it.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The reports I get vary between good reception and very noisy. Its always hit or miss; never a constant thing.

That can be pretty typical, depending on a repeater's coverage. If you're nearby, and more or less line of site to the repeater, you usually have trouble finding a dead spot. As you get further into the repeater's coverage area, the dead spots make themselves known much more often.

A lot of what's going on could be happening at the repeater, as well. They're not all created equal. I'm aware of some UHF repeaters that you can talk to with a portable 100 miles away, and others on the same mountain tops that start getting cruddy 15 miles out.

W2NJS

Look at the amplifier ads in QST. That will give a starting point for figuring out what's possible and what's not possible. Current state of the art does not allow you put a 20 or 30 watt amp on to of an HT and carry the whole rig around with you due to both size and power constraints. HTs are designed to do a specific job, which means low power basically, and if you need more power your ability to walk around with an HT goes out the window, plain and simple, because you need a decent sized amp and you have very heavy power requirements.

Just finished reading reviews on eham.com about this antenna. I will be ordering it soon. I will post my results here after have a chance to test it out.

Mike
KF5LFT

gcgrotz

Google J-pole antenna, build one and hang it by a window if you can't get it outside. Outside is better and you can hang one in a tree. Much cheaper than and amp and should be your first step.

Yeah, I found and built a twin-lead J-pole over the weekend. Im still getting reports that my transmissions are still spotty and weak. I have the antenna on the inside of the house and mounted in front of a window. The radio is set to the highest watts setting...5 watts. I am hearing people talk saying they are on an HT; and I know they are farther away from the repeater than I am. I dont know how they are doing this!

Anyway, the AL-800 has been ordered and is on the way!!

Mike
KF5LFT

NewSDScanner

I'm having similar issues... Is an amplifier going to even do anything though if I've already tried the Diamond antenna, my rubber duck, a tigertail, AND a mobile mag-mount from inside my house? My goal here is to be able to transmit on my HT from inside my house... I have a small hill between me and the repeaters and on the other side of me is the ocean... Will amplifying the signal to 30-40W help in this situation?

ALso, how much better would you say that telescopic antenna is vs the Diamond SRJ77CA?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I...Will amplifying the signal to 30-40W help in this situation?

It depends on the specific situation. Can you hear and get into the repeater at all with the HT by itself? If so, and amplifier will likely help. A 30-40 watt amplifier is 10 db gain over a 3-4 watt HT, so if 10 db gain will solve the problem, then yes.

NewSDScanner

It depends on the specific situation. Can you hear and get into the repeater at all with the HT by itself? If so, and amplifier will likely help. A 30-40 watt amplifier is 10 db gain over a 3-4 watt HT, so if 10 db gain will solve the problem, then yes.

Interesting. Yeah, I actually just learned the power and voltage dB formulas last night so I should be able to answer my own questions of this sort in the future.

I AM able to get into the repeater and hear it. Everyone tells me I am coming in low audio and cutting in and/or out, depending on the repeater.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Thanks for any info!

Mike
KF5LFT

At one time Maha offered a docking amplifier, designed to boost an ht's rf out to around 35 watts. I think it was even a dual band unit.

n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I AM able to get into the repeater and hear it. Everyone tells me I am coming in low audio and cutting in and/or out, depending on the repeater.

An amplifier won't help the low audio, but it should help if you're noisy into the repeater.

I have received the AL-800 antenna and have gotten good reports so far with it.The antenna is a bit cumbersome due to its length; but it works!

All I need not is a mobile radio...LOL!!

Mike
KF5LFT

Status
Not open for further replies.