AMR Los Angeles Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschoolamb

Premium Subscriber
When I travel on business I take my scanner with me. Used to listen to Goodhew years ago which became AMR.

AMR closed a lot of their LA operations in the fall of 2007. I have found new or re-assigned frequencies but I am confused as to how they operate. Does anybody have information about stations (posts), were they are located, how the operations work?

On business last fall in Glendale heard reference to a Hollywood operation and Irwindale but could not figure out how they were moving ambulances around. I am going to be in Santa Clarita for five days in April and I understand they cover this area. Anybody have any insite? I talk to a crew one day last fall inside Starbucks, they said they just sit on street corners after leaving a "deployment center" in Irwindale, which I thought was Schaefers area.

karldotcom

All I know about AMR in Santa Clarita is they dispatch using the LACFD areas...the freq is 460.550

Of course, you can usually find some ambulances at Henry Mayo if you want to inquire further with a crew

warrenck

well the basic rundown is that AMR "posts" there ambulances in the areas it needs to cover. Like a game of risk, they move them to specific intersections that are close to the fire stations. They get moved around according to how many units they have and how much area of the city needs coverage. When you listen to the radio, you will here the unit number then 10-11 then the fire station number. There is a station in AV, SCV, Irwindale, and North Hollywood. Irwindale is apart of Schaefers area I believe but down south in temple city and the surrounding areas is AMR. All four stations are dispatched from the AV location. I hope that helps, I know you posted this a while ago but I thought I would reply anyway.

radiogeek1980

Premium Subscriber
Here is how AMR Irwindale (San Gabriel Valley) works:

Their main station is located on Vincent Avenue just north of Arrow Highway. It is from this station that all of the non-24 hour guys work from, all CCT (Critical Care Transport), all Paramedic units (which really only provide CCT-type services) and all sup’s work from.

There is 1 24 hour station that serves Walnut and Diamond Bar. This station is located just off Brea Canyon, behind the Farmer Boys restaurant. This station became active in 2004. There used to be 3 24 hour stations (Monrovia, Claremont and Diamond Bar/Walnut) however, Monrovia and Claremont closed down in 2005 when AMR lost the majority of their “FIRE” contracts to Schaefer.

For the non-24 guys, they usually work 9 or 11.5 hour shifts, 5 and 4 days respectively. All sup’s work 24 hour schedules.

The non-24 hour guys “go available” from Irwindale station and are sent to “posts” by dispatch. A “post” is literally just a street corner and is NOT attached to any specific fire station. The “post” is intended to cover a certain range. For instance, “Santa Anita and the 10 freeway” is intended to cover all of El Monte, Rosemead and Temple City. There is a “post” at Rosemead and the 10 freeway however, it is only used for “high levels”, meaning there are an abundance of units available.

The “posts” are strategic and dependent on the number of units available. As the levels decrease, the remaining available units move around to lower level “posts” which are designed to cover even more areas. For example, prior to losing most of their contracts to Schaefer, a popular “low level post” was “Grand and Arrow Highway”. This post would literally cover everything between the 57 and 605 freeway’s, north of the 10 freeway. So, that pretty much covered stations 32, 97, 151, 152,153, 154, 48, 85, 86, 141 and 64. Another one was "Valley Blvd and the 605" freeway, covering ALL of Industry, La Puente, Baldwin Park, El Monte, Hacienda Heights, Rosemead, Duarte, etc. This was a truly "low level" post and if a unit was posted there, the chances were high that that particular unit was the only one available. With this type of system, units are constantly on the move and rarely spend a whole lot of time at one place. In fact, it is not unusual to start your day somewhere like El Monte and end it in San Dimas, having run a call with pretty much every squad between those two cities.

With the exception of the Antelope Valley, dispatch is on 47 mhz and the MDT’s work off of Nextel/Sprint cell sites. Also, units are equipped with a Nextel that allows them to talk to dispatch, unit-to-unit and the sup’s.

All San Gabriel Valley units are 8xxxx, with “xxx” being a unit ID. So, a general BLS unit posting on the street corner would be “83xx” or “8301”, “8302”, etc. The CCT guys are 81xx. The sup’s are ALWAYS “FS801”, as there is only ever 1 supervisor on at a time.

Contrary to popular belief, AMR units do NOT have the ability to talk directly to L.A. County Fire. They are not equipped with UHF or VHF radios. So, if they need to pass information to a responding squad or engine, they do so via dispatch and dispatch relays the info to LAcoFD Dispatch, who then relays the info to the responding unit. Also, units are not equipped with portable radios. Every employee is issued an alphanumeric pager. When a call is dispatched, basic information is simultaneously sent to the pagers of the 2 employees assigned to that specific ambulance. So, if they are out of the ambulance eating and receive a call, their pagers alert them. They also receive new "post" assignments, overtime slots, etc. from this pager. In fact, every morning around 0630, a page goes out notifying off-duty people of available overtime for that particular day.

Dispatch used to be located in the Toyota building off the 110 and 91 freeways however, they moved to Antelope Valley in 2005, after AMR lost the contracts.

Hope this info helps!

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
The AMR units in AV/SCV DO have the ability to speak directly to LACoFD units on the VHF tactical channels, and do so periodically. Also, in Santa Clarita (not sure about AV), LACoFD units have the AMR dispatch frequency programmed into their UHF radios so that the engine/squad can speak directly to AMR dispatch, and during times when they needed to get ETA, or give entry instructions the ambulance, I have heard them on the AMR channel.

Furthermore, AMR Santa Clarita is now on 451.928 (pL: 100.0), it recently changed.

In terms of ICIS, it appears that the application was denied, so AMR is looking into a commercially available wide area trunking system with several supervisors doing radio checks all throughout LA basin (per a person at AMR that I know). It appears that they are trying to improve their radio system, especially for coverage into known dead zones like the Newhall Pass, Canyons of Santa Clarita/Antelope Valley, and other areas.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
Here is how AMR Irwindale (San Gabriel Valley) works:Claremont closed down in 2005

RIP "Club Claremont" Only station I did not work at least once in all of LA Metro.

With this type of system, units are constantly on the move and rarely spend a whole lot of time at one place. In fact, it is not unusual to start your day somewhere like El Monte and end it in San Dimas, having run a call with pretty much every squad between those two cities.

I worked in SGV for awhile and I can tell you it's mind-boggling the geography you can cover in 11.5 hours. The amazing days are the ones where you start at El Monte (I was out of the old building on St. Louis) and your first post will take you pretty close, Rosemead, something like that. Once you get your first call, maybe you end up transporting to Greater El Monte Hospital. Then you end up in Industry, then Hacienda Heights, then up to cover Grand and Arrow. A couple calls in between maybe. Then back to Rosemead. A balls to the wall Code 3 run halfway across the Valley because you're the only unit available all of a sudden, then a IFT to Kaiser Baldwin Park. Clear out of there and up the 605 to Glendora. Run a call up there, patient requests Huntington Memorial. Then you're in Monrovia. It hits the fan and you're heading to San Dimas. Get a call and you're transporting to Pomona. Out of there, back down the 57 to Hacienda Heights again, then shoot up Hacienda Blvd to Covina..... And you still have half a shift to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.