Amtrak Crash in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cru1242

Senior Newbie-12th Year
Premium Subscriber
Amtrak derailment - Frankford section of Philadelphia

An Amtrak train has apparently derailed in Frankford. A Mass Casualty situation has been declared. There may be as many as four cars off the rails. No word on injuries at this time. PPD, PFD responding.

SCPD

QRT
A senator tweeted pics former I believe. In his tweet on board he was in rear and it was mostly severe to mild injuries but said the front end was pretty bad. Wonder what occured on the rails in the turn where it derailed.

cru1242

Senior Newbie-12th Year
Premium Subscriber
Amtrak Derailment

Fourth Alarm. Requesting off duty personnel report. North Fire band is now for incident use only.
School Police have opened a nearby school for triage if needed.

NYG

Can anyone from the area recommend a live scanner feed covering this incident?

TAMR213

Can anyone from the area recommend a live scanner feed covering this incident?

Currently listening to Philly Fire - North and Philly Police - Citywide. Wish there was a rail feed for the Philly area as we have here in Central NJ.

w2xq

Mentor
About 9:35 pm, NE regional rail #188 Washington to New York derailed on curve near 2200 block of Frankford Avenue, Port Richmond. Philadelphia police and fire, all hands on deck, listening to scanners. CNN and Fox News national coverage. 240 people reported on board, early reports ~50 seriously hurt. First two cars crumpled, ~8 more on side. No definitive cause yet, apparently no collision. NTSB enroute.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

I've been listening to Philly Fire and also the Amtrak channels. What a mess. Prayers to all involved!

phillydjdan

Ugh, I hate Nutter with every inch of my body. He comes off like a total A-hole, and that's because he is!

phillydjdan

I'm sure they are, although I dont have them in my radio. The PD repeater in Phila was busy with responding officials from as far away as DC. The NEC road channel was busy last night also as they were shutting everything down.

tosh

Premium Subscriber
Phila. PD at Amtrak Incident

I was listening to the feed last nite for I think the North Phila. PD - I think that one had over 12,000 listeners at one point. This appeared to be the busiest feed. Thanks for the feed providers whoever you are. I noticed that there appeared to be a huge police presence at this incident, and a lot of the media photos confirm that. The radio traffic had "wagons" transporting some of the lower priority injuries. With over 200 injured I suppose you run out of ambulances real quick. With all of the bad press that the police in general are getting these days, it really sounded like the Philly PD really stepped up last night. Good for them. Does this department have an ESU like NYPD, or was this the case that like any other first responder they were just stepping up to help out in a major casualty incident ? I was curious about that if anyone from that area happens to read this post.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All The Facts Are Not In Yet, Lest We Forget

Every time an Amtrak train is involved in an incident the first person the powers that be look to hang is the engineer, our esteemed Surface Transportation Division of the NTSB is well known for making brash & unsubstantiated statements to the press without giving the train crew full benefit of a thorough investigation, I guess if they see fit to eventually get around to it the NTSB & Amtrak investigators might be able to determine if the engine data recorder emitted inaccurate data, the well documented windshield glare problem or if the well documented deteriorating rail infrastructure on that particular section of the NEC was the cause or at least a contributing factor in the derailment, not to mention the fact that Amtrak should never have purchased that sorry excuse of an engine from a company that has never before produced electric engines for American high speed rail corridor service (Siemens ACS-64) then worse yet keeping those useless tin cans when www.ble-t.org complained about serious windshield glare issues directly affecting engineer safety & engine control software problems which places train crews "AND" passengers lives in jeopardy, we shall see.

RAILROAD.NET • Index page

BTW: As it's par for the course for the NTSB, Amtrak's corporate suits & their media shills there is no mention made of the condition of the engineer, you know, the guy everybody says is the cause of all this horror, well I do hope he is at least alive, if not, my prayers go out to his family & fellow engineers whatever railroad they work for.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

He received minor injuries. The PD attempted to talk to him, but he lawyered up, and left the detective squad with his attorney, as is his right.

It occured at about 9:30pm, on what has been reported to be a dark section of track, so windshield glare should be a non-issue.

It was reported that the train was going 106mph in a 50mph zone when the emergency brakes were initiated, but the train was still doing 102mph when it derailed on a curve.

The age and frequent poor conditions of the rail system were mentioned. Including how the low hanging power lines have gotten tangled up in and torn down by a passing train. A section of the track itself has been removed from the scene.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.