Amtrak in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter2

Has anyone received lately, any of the frequencies from Albany down through Penn Station?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone received lately, any of the frequencies from Albany down through Penn Station?

No changes recently. All remains unchanged.

Albany-Rensselaer to Poughkeepsie: 160.7250MHz
Poughkeepsie to Spuyten Duyvil: 160.9500MHz (Metro-North)
Spuyten Duyvil to Penn Station: 161.0100MHz

vikingegfd

Premium Subscriber
CSX road and Selkirk yard use following alot.

As far as Rensselaer station, unless you're line of sight or close by they are hard to pick up. I live 10 minutes uphill from the station and I cannot pick them up. I suspect the portible radios are set on low power.

MrColad

As far as AMTRAK unless you are on the crest of a nearby hill or trackside or riverside a/k/a the NYC Water Level Route from CP-1 at the westside overbuild to CP-75 north of Pok it is very hard to completely monitor east coast Hudson or west coast Riverline trains. Some eons ago PC, CR then pre MTA MNC PD used Alpine Tower through the dispatch consoles for Westchester County communications. I hoped this helped.

Dexter2

Thank you all. I just came across these frequencies and haven't picked up ANYTHING. Wasn't sure if it was still active or not. Haven't been on Amtrak since earlier this year.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
End to end is near impossible, but at trackside with a well engineered mobile system, you should easily get at least 20-30mi. With a scanner or a handheld, at least 10. Amtrak Hudson Line Dispatcher usually operates with all bases enabled. Same for Metro-North District C and District D. If you're not hearing any communications, it's likely related to your equipment or your location if you're not trackside.

Dexter2

End to end is near impossible, but at trackside with a well engineered mobile system, you should easily get at least 20-30mi. With a scanner or a handheld, at least 10. Amtrak Hudson Line Dispatcher usually operates with all bases enabled. Same for Metro-North District C and District D. If you're not hearing any communications, it's likely related to your equipment or your location if you're not trackside.

Yeah I'm not trackside but I do live less than 10 miles from the station. Thus, why I was curious.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Same with G but once you get beyond the division posts its quite. they also still use line side phones

Yup. And then there's the Harlem Line where District A/B talk at an average rate, but never tell T&E anything useful at all. :ROFLMAO:

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Anybody on the Hudson Line might disagree. District D never shuts up. lol.
So Matt what are you saying that it's a bad thing that District D follows the rules and speaks what needs to be said and add more because the RTC cares for the people that work along the tracks and tips them off with what is going on around them so that they can go home to there family's the same way they came to work???????

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
So Matt what are you saying that it's a bad thing that District D follows the rules and speaks what needs to be said and add more because the RTC cares for the people that work along the tracks and tips them off with what is going on around them so that they can go home to there family's the same way they came to work???????

You're taking the single quote out of context, and I suspect on purpose to make a personal point.

If you read up, it was in response to someone claiming that Metro-North is less active on the radio than other railroads in the region. My reply was a humorous way to indicate that is not the case. Please don't make presumptions or personal attacks because of an out of context quote.

You should read this prior to replying in that manner also, particularly No. 4:

Last edited:

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
You're taking the single quote out of context, and I suspect on purpose to make a personal point.

If you read up, it was in response to someone claiming that Metro-North is less active on the radio than other railroads in the region. My reply was a humorous way to indicate that is not the case. Please don't make presumptions or personal attacks because of an out of context quote.

You should read this prior to replying in that manner also, particularly No. 4:
Nope not out of context and not here to make a personal point. Just setting it straight from someone that seats on the sidelines and like to monday morning quarter back how that person feels the railroad should be run. Enjoy the cold weather you are having and be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
...morning quarter back how that person feels the railroad should be run. Enjoy the cold weather you are having and be safe.

Again, there was zero criticism, and I wouldn't tell anyone how to do their job ever. It was ironic and humourous way of making the point that Metro-North is not the least active railroad in the region as radio activity goes as was proposed by the individual I was replying to. You took it out of context.

As to the weather, thanks. Not that bad right now...at least it finally went above -30C.

Status
Not open for further replies.