Amtrak Radio Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmiladim

Hello Group
Could any help me in inquiring radio frequencies for a Amtrak trip from Cleveland to Chicago? It would be fun listening to Mr Engineer.
Thanks Kindly

Milan

wtp

i thought you mentioned having a 668, that at least has the band in it under service search.
i have only traveled by rail a couple of times and found it better to hear everybody, other services can use a different frequency.
after hearing the the APU was smoking on the car we were in, i told the wife if i leave just follow and don't ask questions. the small fire was put out in seconds.
i think that was a yard frequency.

usmiladim

i thought you mentioned having a 668, that at least has the band in it under service search.
i have only traveled by rail a couple of times and found it better to hear everybody, other services can use a different frequency.
after hearing the the APU was smoking on the car we were in, i told the wife if i leave just follow and don't ask questions. the small fire was put out in seconds.
i think that was a yard frequency.
I do have the 668 and Yeasu as a HAM.

N8FNR

I live near the CN Holly sub north of Detroit and Amtrak goes by several times a day. I have CN's road frequencies, 160.530 and 160.590 in my radios but wonder what frequencies do the on board crew use? I mean like the food staff, etc.

Last edited:

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
I live near the CN Holly sub north of Detroit and Amtrak goes by several times a day. I have CN's road frequencies, 160.530 and 160.590 in my radios but wonder what frequencies do the on board crew use? I mean like the food staff, etc.
My experience on Amtrak (50K+ miles) the train intercom and PA system get a lot of use by the service crews.

usmiladim

Amtrak operates on the frequencies of the tracks they are on. i.e. if on UP tracks, they are on their frequencies. Now, within the train itself to talk to each other, most likely they will be on an itinerate frequency in the VHF range.
Just wanted to throw my two cents in. While on a trip from Cleveland to Chicago, I did here staff ask the engineer if he’d like coffee on the normal road channel. 161.070.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Amtrak operates on the frequencies of the tracks they are on. i.e. if on UP tracks, they are on their frequencies. Now, within the train itself to talk to each other, most likely they will be on an itinerate frequency in the VHF range.

No, they do not. They use whatever road channel they are on. The conductor has to confirm the transmissions made by the engineer, since they are not in the engine together.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Passenger inter-train talkaround is -not- on the road freq. The "Conductor" (Not "car host") and Engineer are responsible for the train. The car hosts, kitchen staff, luggage 'toters, etc. etc. usually use business banf freqs, I have even seen some use UHF bubble pack radios.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Passenger inter-train talkaround is -not- on the road freq. The "Conductor" (Not "car host") and Engineer are responsible for the train. The car hosts, kitchen staff, luggage 'toters, etc. etc. usually use business banf freqs, I have even seen some use UHF bubble pack radios.

Good point, I thought you were referring to conductor/engineer comms. My mistake. I forgot that Amtrak still has other staff on the train.. nobody tell Amtrak though, they might start nixing them.

Mike

k6cpo

Good point, I thought you were referring to conductor/engineer comms. My mistake. I forgot that Amtrak still has other staff on the train.. nobody tell Amtrak though, they might start nixing them.

Mike

I've traveled long distance on Amtrak (San Diego to Seattle, New Orleans to San Diego) and I've never had any issue with monitoring the road frequencies while on board. The one thing to remember is to keep the volume down or use an earphone when in the public areas on the train.

usmiladim

I've traveled long distance on Amtrak (San Diego to Seattle, New Orleans to San Diego) and I've never had any issue with monitoring the road frequencies while on board. The one thing to remember is to keep the volume down or use an earphone when in the public areas on the train.
Agree. Keeping it quiet is important.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
Same here. I typically travel in a sleeper bedroom and with low volume (no earpiece), never had a complaint during 50,000 miles of Amtrak travel..

Status
Not open for further replies.