• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

An 8 watt HT. Tonfa? Looks just like a BF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Range will not be much, if any, different than a 4watt HT. It is only 3db increase in power. That is half an S-unit.

Increase in current draw will not net any real distance gains.

JCNHB

Hey thanks. My burning desire to get one is now manageable. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCNHB

I gotta look up what an s unit is now though

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Tonfa UV-985 8 Watt Dual Band Handheld Transceiver

It's double the power of a 4 watt BF HT.

I'm guessing with a decent HT antenna I can get some pretty good range from this HT.

I want one!

Why? The battery is only 1800mah which would not last long at 8 watts out, if it actually does that. As kayn1n32008 said, almost no increase in range would result between 4 and 8 watts out. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they engineered that thing. 73, n9zas

JCNHB

Thanks gewecke. A little knowledge saves my money.

like any hobby. There is always the next step.

I only have HT's. I use it with a mag mount in my car.

I was gonna get an RF amp. The mirage BD-35 but there are mixed reviews.

Should I just find a deal on a mobile unit?

I like the BF's. After getting familiar with all the menus and settings

JCNHB

Yes. I'm new. Very new. Started looking into it a month ago. Got my tech license a week ago.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and as you can see in the review, the tests of the unit show it only puts out a tad or so more than the "regular" iterations of the ever popular UV-5R.

1-2 watts makes little difference. Want better performance? Hook any HT to a "for real" external antenna like a J-pole.

JCNHB

A j pole... I've heard of those. Ok. Thank you for that advice.

I'm using a tram 1180 38.5 inches on my roof right now.

I'll start researching a J pole.
Thank you for your tips!

JCNHB

any other "for real" antenna suggestions ?
I'm dual banding 70cm and 2 meter.

JCNHB

That second Larson antenna looks similar to my tram 1180. Center loaded also. Would it perform better than the tram because quality of the build material or... ?

Just trying to learn from you guys. Thanks fit everyone's help.

n5ims

I have several of the 2/70s and they all work quite well. The short version doesn't have quite the gain as the longer ones, but for the size, still works quite well.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Most of the "antenna" questions can be found under Amateur Radio Antennas thread. And yes a real mobile radio is much better than an HT with an amplifier and a "mag" mount.

JCNHB

A real mobile radio is better than an ht with an amp and mag mount. Ok how come? Less clutter? More reliable. Better signal? All of the above?
Sorry it might seem like a basic question.

But I'm asking anyway.... Why?

nd5y

All of the above plus a permanent mount antenna instead of a mag mount.

Also the lower end Baofeng clone hand helds have a different type receiver than most real radios. Increasing received signal levels by using a good external antenna can overload the receiver and make it hard or impossible to hear weak signals.

JCNHB

Ok thank you nd5y! That answers my question.

WB4CS

When it comes to the cheaper China HT's you get what you pay for. They will for sure get you on the air, but they will not perform as well as a radio from Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, or Alinco.

I also agree on not using a magnetic mount if at all possible. Mag Mounts are supposed to be temporary antennas and do not provide near as good of a ground as a permanent mount does. A permanently installed and drilled NMO mount will perform much better than a mag mount antenna.

I'll second the Larsen NMO 2/70 for mobile use. I use one and it's a great antenna, Larsen is probably one of the best mobile antenna manufacturers for VHF/UHF. There are also several good base antennas that can be used at home that will work much better than the rubber duck antenna or a mag mount. The key is height, the higher up the better. In the car, I have my NMO mount on the center of my car's roof and it works much better than down low on the trunk of the car.

So, here's another vote on finding a good mobile radio to supplement your handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.