An email to the head of PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
As we know PSP has been encrypted for years---Here is a letter I emailed to the head of PSP.

Dear Colonel Evanchick:

I am an amateur radio operator, retired, and have an extensive knowledge of public safety radio systems.. As you know PSP is abandoning the 800 MHz system and building a new system in the VHF range of frequencies.

I would like to make a case that would have PSP drop the encryption on initial dispatches. Why am I making that request? I am convinced if some PSP transmissions "were in the clear" we would not be in the situation we're in today. An 800 MHz system that didn't work properly, 800 million dollars in cost overruns and most importantly the safety of Troopers.. For example, I as one who tunes the public safety bands would have picked up Troopers frustrations with the 800 MHz system if encryption wasn't used. That would open the door for me putting together an investigative report. That would trigger lawmakers to stop the overspending on a system that endangers the lives of Troopers. Major Diane Stackhouse explained:
Statewide radio a nearly billion-dollar boondoggle .

Don't get me wrong. I believe that SWAT operations, drug stings and other sensitive communications SHOULD be encrypted, but routine day to day dispatches should be should be sent "in the clear"

I have found that most scanner listeners are law abiding citizens and they simply what to know whats going on in their neighborhoods. Encryption takes that away. In fact listeners have helped law enforcement, saved lives and assisted to track down criminals.

KSL cameraman goes to the rescue

Police arrest suspect in W-B bank robbery.

Quick thinking tow truck driver helps catch a murderer

In fact here is a report about a major fire department getting rid of encryption. Please make special note of the 10th paragraph.

OCFA Chief orders decryption of firefighter radios

I know an argument can be made about officer safety but by keeping routine dispatches in the clear strikes a balance between safety and public transparency.

Best Regards

Bob Reynolds
White Haven, Pa 18661

Bob Reynolds, Proud To Serve

royldean

Bob, good luck with your effort. I fear that it will fall upon deaf ears, unfortunately. I think it would take a huge incident (involving major screw-ups) for enough pressure to be brought on any LEO dispatch to convert back to clear from encryption. I guess the possibility of this response being "dissapeared" is high....

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
I agree Bob. For years and years, when PSP was on VHF, it was all in the clear. Sensitive information was discussed on cellphones or in person. Today, I think the day to day operations and routine dispatches should be in the clear. Sensitive information like drug busts, swat incidents and surveillance communications, etc, should be encrypted. scanner listeners have saved lives and helped to capture criminals. It's like, what are they hiding from the general public? Like I said, years and years, with no issues on VHF unencrypted.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Eventually more p25 systems will encrypt. It's very easy now compared to years ago.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
here is a email I sent to the PSP Commissioner asking that some encryption be removed from PSP communication. I'v also included the reply.

Dear Colonel Evanchick:

I am an amateur radio operator, retired, and have an extensive knowledge of public safety radio systems.. As you know PSP is abandoning the 800 MHz system and building a new system in the VHF range of frequencies.

I would like to make a case that would have PSP drop the encryption on initial dispatches. Why am I making that request? I am convinced if some PSP transmissions "were in the clear" we would not be in the situation we're in today. An 800 MHz system that didn't work properly, 800 million dollars in cost overruns and most importantly the safety of Troopers.. For example, I as one who tunes the public safety bands would have picked up Troopers frustrations with the 800 MHz system if encryption wasn't used. That would open the door for me putting together an investigative report. That would trigger lawmakers to stop the overspending on a system that endangers the lives of Troopers. Major Diane Stackhouse explained:
https://www.abc27.com/investigators/investigations/statewide-radio-a-nearly-billion-dollar-boondoggle/ .

Don't get me wrong. I believe that SWAT operations, drug stings and other sensitive communications SHOULD be encrypted, but routine day to day dispatches should be should be sent "in the clear"

I have found that most scanner listeners are law abiding citizens and they simply what to know whats going on in their neighborhoods. Encryption takes that away. In fact listeners have helped law enforcement, saved lives and assisted to track down criminals.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/635203439/KSL-cameraman-goes-to-the-rescue.html

http://citizensvoice.com/police-arrest-suspect-in-w-b-bank-robbery-1.825346.

https://www.collisionrepairmag.com/news/19505-quick-thinking-tow-truck-drivers-helps-catch-a-murderer

In fact here is a report about a major fire department getting rid of encryption. Please make special note of the 10th paragraph.

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/entertainment/tn-wknd-et-orange-county-fire-authority-radio-dispatch-encryption-20190620-story.html

I know an argument can be made about officer safety but by keeping routine dispatches in the clear strikes a balance between safety and public transparency.

Best Regards

Bob Reynolds
White Haven, Pa 18661
https://wnep.com/2014/12/22/bob-reynolds-proud-to-serve/

============================================================================
Good morning Mr. Reynolds,

Thank you for your email to Colonel Evanchick recommending that PSP unencrypt initial radio transmissions. While the PSP currently has no plans to unencrypt initial radio transmissions the Department continually evaluates our policies and procedures with a goal of improving public safety as well as our overall operational efficiencies. Your suggestion, and the supporting media links, have been forwarded to Major Diane Stackhouse, the director of our Bureau of Communications and Information Services, for further review and future consideration. We appreciate your interest in this matter and you can be assured that your suggestions and the supporting justification for change will be thoroughly evaluated and considered as we move forward.

Respectfully,

Major Edward C. Hoke | Acting Deputy Commissioner of Staff
Pennsylvania State Police | Executive and Administrative Offices
1800 Elmerton Avenue | Harrisburg, PA 17110
Office: 717.783.5558 | Fax: 717.346.9789
www.psp.pa.gov

F

=============================================================================
Good morning Mr. Reynolds,

Thank you for your email to Colonel Evanchick recommending that PSP unencrypt initial radio transmissions. While the PSP currently has no plans to unencrypt initial radio transmissions the Department continually evaluates our policies and procedures with a goal of improving public safety as well as our overall operational efficiencies. Your suggestion, and the supporting media links, have been forwarded to Major Diane Stackhouse, the director of our Bureau of Communications and Information Services, for further review and future consideration. We appreciate your interest in this matter and you can be assured that your suggestions and the supporting justification for change will be thoroughly evaluated and considered as we move forward.

Respectfully,

Major Edward C. Hoke | Acting Deputy Commissioner of Staff
Pennsylvania State Police | Executive and Administrative Offices
1800 Elmerton Avenue | Harrisburg, PA 17110
Office: 717.783.5558 | Fax: 717.346.9789
www.psp.pa.gov

F

Status
Not open for further replies.