Analog Channels on TRX 2 Sound Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodmore

I consider myself still new to modern day scanning. I live in Lancaster County PA. I like to listen to the emergency channels especially during snow storms like yesterday. For the most part those channels are P25 phase I. The TRX 2 sounds great. But my county still utilizes quite a few old analog channels like 33.9 for ambulance and fire dispatch. This channel has static and at times can be annoying to the ears. Is there a way to clean it up? I have tried four different antennas and to be honest the 536 I just sold had the same problem.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It's not your radios, it's just the fact that VHF-Lo can be a noisy band, and it can be difficult to track down the source of the interference. Sometimes it's powerline noise. You might have a cracked insulator on a power pole near your house that is generating electrical noise. It can also be noise that is generated by something within your home, or even your neighbor's home. But there are many possible sources of the problem.

Here's one trick you can use that might help track it down:

How To Detect RF Radiation Using Your Portable AM Radio

And another:

https://youtu.be/2SKD_xmzc8k

Some good info here too:

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

And here:

EMI - RFI page

Hope that helps.

troymail

Silent Key
Turns out I've now been listening to digital for so long, I cannot stand listening to most analog channels anymore. My local trunk systems is mixed analog and digital and there are times I can't even stand listening to the analog talkgroups on that system because of static and interference (mostly from cell towers).

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Turns out I've now been listening to digital for so long, I cannot stand listening to most analog channels anymore. My local trunk systems is mixed analog and digital and there are times I can't even stand listening to the analog talkgroups on that system because of static and interference (mostly from cell towers).

I hear that troymail. I find myself these days hoping our county public safety system goes digital. The static interference, and squelch tail drives me nuts. I love digital voice.

To keep with the thread topic, I have never even used my TRX-1 or TRX-2 to listen to analog, they are both strictly digital. We don't have much in the way of low band around here anymore.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
I consider myself still new to modern day scanning. I live in Lancaster County PA. I like to listen to the emergency channels especially during snow storms like yesterday. For the most part those channels are P25 phase I. The TRX 2 sounds great. But my county still utilizes quite a few old analog channels like 33.9 for ambulance and fire dispatch. This channel has static and at times can be annoying to the ears. Is there a way to clean it up? I have tried four different antennas and to be honest the 536 I just sold had the same problem.

LCWC system has digital TGs for dispatch as well. I would suggest going with those instead of 33.90

theTastyCat

So this is timely - I'm one county over tonight where everything is analog. Very interesting to compare the reception of UHF between my Kenwood v71a on a 3-foot antenna on the roof vs my TRX-2 on an 18" antenna NMO mounted on the side of my toolbox. 71a is MUCH clearer. I honestly wouldn't think the antenna would make that much difference, especially since I always listen to P25 attenuated and it's always a full strength signal.

I did wonder about the best settings for analog - maybe FM instead of NFM? AGC/audio boost? Haven't had much time to experiment but I will. Tips welcome!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Analog Channels bad?

@Tastycat - I'm using a WS1080 and the analog channels/reception are perfectly fine. One county over perfect with a diamond antenna. Only problem with the Whistler scanners and analog channels are the lack of volume. You're not running those analog channels attenuated too are you? by that, I mean you're not using global attenuation are you? *you mentioned P25 trunked is attenuated* There is a way to do it for P25 Trunked without deadening everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.