Analog/Digital Question Pro164

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandaddy

We purchased A Radio Shack Pro164 for our son for Christmas....Yesterday we heard from a friend who is a regular local scanner that our county (Jackson in Oregon) is going digital after the 1st of the year.

My question is simple...Will this scanner work with both analog signals as well as digital signals ?...Sorry, but we know absolutely nothing about scanners, signals or anything else if this is dumb question !

If this scanner will not be able to receive the local signal change, I will want to return it immediately to Radio Shack and get one that will work.

Any advice on this will be most appreciated....No feelings will be hurt if the advice is to get a different scanner....lol....but, recommendations on what one to get a newbie....now that would be a big help.

~ Sandaddy

Capt-Brigg

Analog Vs Digital

I have read that the change to digital is not federally mandated until 12/31/2012 and many of the commercial users are exempt even then. Many of the railroads are expressing a desire not to convert to digital at that time. So it somewhat depends on what you want to listen to. Capt. Brigg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No the 164 won't do digital. So that you know what to buy, we have a list of all the digital trunktrackers in our wiki. Go up to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over 'Wiki' then select 'Wiki Home'. About 2/3 of the way down on the right is a yellow box labeled 'Popular Topics'. Click on 'Digital Trunktrackers', and select the scanner you want to check out. If you're sticking with RS, then you have the PRO-96, PRO-2096, PRO-106, PRO-197 and PRO-18.

You can start your research there. Best Regards...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before you drop some bucks, do some research about what system Jackson is thinking of installing. There are several 'digital' systems that are completely unmonitorable by any scanner out of the box (EDACS Pro-Voice and Open Sky come to mind). Only one - using the Project 25 standards - is decodable.

If that sounds kinda greek to you I would encourage you to spend some time in our online Glossary - you don't need to be a system engineer that understands all the technical jargon, just be aware that there are many systems out there that we simply cannot hear. And research is cheap - buying the wrong scanner isn't.

best regards...Mike

Bob_61

I have read that the change to digital is not federally mandated until 12/31/2012 and many of the commercial users are exempt even then. Many of the railroads are expressing a desire not to convert to digital at that time. So it somewhat depends on what you want to listen to. Capt. Brigg

If I am wrong I know I will be corrected so here it goes. It is not a digital mandate it is narrowbanding mandate. Narrowbanding - The RadioReference Wiki :twisted: Narrowbanding :)

jblave

Premium Subscriber
I also recieved a PRO-164 for Christmas. I'm a newbie too. Looking at RR has taught me alot but there is so much information. I live in Albers ,Clinton County, Illinois. I'm looking to monitor Fire, EMS, POLICE trunking and regular frequencies. Including state police. I started programming the scanner and it only gets a small amount of transmissions. Signal stalker has not picked up a single transmission in about 12 hours. I need some advice from some professionals because the sales techs at my area radioshacks are not scanner people. Is the PRO- 106 a better option for my area? Reading here on RR it appears my area is changing to StarCom21 for project 25. What is a good radio shack scanner for StarCom21? Is a PRO-106 a digital scanner that has been rebanded or will I get charged more money to get it up to tip top? Is there a scanner from Radio shack that out of the box has been rebanded, is digital, and fits my needs? Help please I need to take back in next ten days if I'm gonna!

DickH

I also recieved a PRO-164 for Christmas. I'm a newbie too. Looking at RR has taught me alot but there is so much information. I live in Albers ,Clinton County, Illinois. I'm looking to monitor Fire, EMS, POLICE trunking and regular frequencies. Including state police. I started programming the scanner and it only gets a small amount of transmissions. Signal stalker has not picked up a single transmission in about 12 hours. I need some advice from some professionals because the sales techs at my area radioshacks are not scanner people. Is the PRO- 106 a better option for my area? Reading here on RR it appears my area is changing to StarCom21 for project 25. What is a good radio shack scanner for StarCom21? Is a PRO-106 a digital scanner that has been rebanded or will I get charged more money to get it up to tip top? Is there a scanner from Radio shack that out of the box has been rebanded, is digital, and fits my needs? Help please I need to take back in next ten days if I'm gonna!

It looks like some things are digital. Your PRO-164 will NOT do digital, only Analog.
You had better ask in the Illinois forum.

N8IAA

Yesterday we heard from a friend who is a regular local scanner that our county (Jackson in Oregon) is going digital after the 1st of the year.~ Sandaddy

Two things to ask your friend, will it be conventional, digital P-25, or, trunked digital P-25. Right now, RS has a sale going on with the digital scanners. I would reccomend either the 106 handheld, or, the 197 base/mobile models. Take back the 164 and get the 106. It will do all that the 164 does, plus gives you digital reception. This is just my point of view:) Also, ask this question about Jackson County going digital in the Oregon state forum further down the forums page. You will probably get a more informed answer there.
HTH,
Larry

jblave

Premium Subscriber
Thanks DickH! I have read RR until my eyes felt like they were bleeding. So much info here. I have posted in IL forums and I'm awaiting reply. Reading the info at RR it appears that the PRO 106 does do Starcom21 an APCO digital phase I of project 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.