TRX-1: Analog FM cutting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebplayer

Anyone notice problems with regular analog transmissions cutting out mid-transmission and also breaking squelch late? I notice this regularly when monitoring amateurs on 144 and 440 bands. I put my Pro 92 side by side with the TRX 1 and the Pro 92 picks up all of the audio while the TRX 1 will drop the audio during transmissions as well as pick it up late. We're talking on the order of fractions of a second but it's still annoying since the TRX 1 is supposed to be top of the line!

Ubbe

Try listening to the recorded sound and report how it sounds.

Whistler uses a silent squelch tail method that uses a delay for the analog audio so that the audio closes before any squelch tail are heard.

I have TRX-2 and the recorded audio are taken at an audio delayed point which makes the recorded audio start with a squelch noise and clips the last syllable.

The loudspeaker audio are the total opposite, it has a slow start like a capacitor needs to be charged so the sound starts weak and you don't hear the first syllable and the sound level increases smoothly. It doesn't matter if the AGC are disabled.

Don't know about cutting out in the middle of transmissions, haven't heard that on my scanner.

/Ubbe

BrianG61UK

If you haven't already try FM instead of NFM for amateur. Their FM is often rather wide compared with most other users.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed the exact same issue in the amateur radio bands. I'm setup for FM instead of NFM, this makes no difference. I'm also running the latest firmware/dsp.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Try with the ATT turned on as these scanners desense very easy and another transmitter keying up may be your problem.

Yes, I am very familiar with the desense in these radios and yes, I've tried this as well. What doesn't makes sense to me is that if I program one frequency into a memory (example: 146.680 MHz with CTCSS 162.2 Hz); this issue doesn't happen; however, in search mode, it's like the audio is being clipped as if out of the passband of the receiver. Seems like it's clearly some firmware bug, just not sure whom/how to report it to Whistler.

W0JJK

It could be the deviation of the ham repeater is not correct. I listened today and noticed my XTL2500 and the TRX2 acted the same. They would clip audio on a repeater here during a conversation. I was listening to.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
It could be the deviation of the ham repeater is not correct. I listened today and noticed my XTL2500 and the TRX2 acted the same. They would clip audio on a repeater here during a conversation. I was listening to.

I thought the exact same thing, thus why I was holding off on any bug reports until I could confirm it's really an issue or not.

ebplayer

What doesn't makes sense to me is that if I program one frequency into a memory (example: 146.680 MHz with CTCSS 162.2 Hz); this issue doesn't happen; however, in search mode, it's like the audio is being clipped as if out of the passband of the receiver. Seems like it's clearly some firmware bug, just not sure whom/how to report it to Whistler.

Thanks for the tip, you are correct! I should have clarified that I noticed this problem when using the service search feature and I was paused on a frequency. However, I made a test by storing the frequency of interest along with CTCSS tone and when I monitor it via the "browse objects", there is no longer any problems with the transmissions cutting out. I also can hear a longer squelch tail. I think this classifies as a firmware bug in the way the search squelch is handled?

SCPD

QRT
Yes this happens in the service search,have you tried to reset the scanner to default values?Always works for me.
Noticed this when they added the three new values to the search capabilities in the firmware.

ebplayer

Yes this happens in the service search,have you tried to reset the scanner to default values?Always works for me.
Noticed this when they added the three new values to the search capabilities in the firmware.

What search capabilities are you referring to?

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
In the 'conventional frequencies' tab, set the 'DMode' to analog for all your analog channels instead of auto. Try that and see if you notice a difference. As I understand it there is a squelch delay as the scanner determines whether the signal is digital or not.

ebplayer

In the 'conventional frequencies' tab, set the 'DMode' to analog for all your analog channels instead of auto. Try that and see if you notice a difference. As I understand it there is a squelch delay as the scanner determines whether the signal is digital or not.

I don't think this matters. By simply storing the analog frequency of interest with dmode set to auto was enough to solve the problem. My original problem was noticed only when pausing on frequencies during a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.