analog or digital?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamminjim

It has been some time since i have played with scanners, but I am looking to get one soon. I need to get ocean county fire and barnegat police. I know I need a trunking unit, but not sure about digital or analog. Also any recomendations on a good unit that wont brake the bank either. Thanks in advance.

n5ims

Looking at the database for Ocean County NY --> Ocean County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference <-- it appears that for now, you could probably get by with just an analog scanner. With several digital systems in the county and many more in the area, I'd recommend you get a digital scanner to allow you to receive everything you can now and be ready when the existing analog sites convert to digital later. Not all will convert, but many will with the narrow band deadline swiftly approaching.

With few exceptions, the new digital scanners all support the current rebanding effort on 800 MHz systems. This support is either already there or available through a firmware upgrade. If you try to save $ and get an older analog scanner (e.g. Pro-95 from Radio Shack) on e-bay it will not track rebanded sites that moved off the old established channels. There isn't (nor will there be) an upgrade to allow it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.